Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:16 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,350 Times in 14,858 Posts
Default People in Jail Deserve Effective Drug Treatment Not Forced Withdrawal

People in Jail Deserve Effective Drug Treatment Not Forced Withdrawal

Nearly 30 years ago, when he was 18 years old, Sy Eubanks had surgery for a knee injury he got while competing on his high school’s wrestling team. His doctor prescribed him opioid painkillers, the dangers of which are now widely known. All Sy knew was that he liked the feelings his prescription gave him, and he wanted more.

After graduation, Sy got a job as a logger. It was then he realized he couldn’t stop taking opioids.

Read entire ACLU article HERE.

In some respects this is a typical decline into addiction story. Anyone with an addicted loved one already knows it so well having lived it with their loved one. The scariest part of going to jail for one of many petty crimes isn't the "going to jail." Its the going to jail Cold Turkey = Withdrawal.

I learned something from this article: I had no idea that opioid use disorder (OUD) is a disability protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you or someone you love is taking methadone, suboxone, or another medication for opioid addiction, please read the article and any links provided within the article.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-17-2018), LifeTraveler (06-17-2018), miamac (06-17-2018), onedayatatime13 (06-17-2018), Sarianna (06-18-2018), sidewalker (06-18-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 07:23 PM

Thanked 1,453 Times in 797 Posts

Here in Washington a heroin addict died during withdrawal in jail while the guards made fun of her.

If it's a disability then the addicts have a powerful ally. Each state has a "protection and advocacy" organization to protect the rights of the disabled wherever they are housed, including correctional facilities. They have the legal authority to visit with recording equipment.

Google "kick tank" and you find stories like this:
Quote:
My detox started six hours after I was transferred to the main jail from a holding facility. As I passed through the medical, they were kind enough to recommend I go to the “kick tank” a large eight-person unit away from the general population. I had never been afforded this luxury in my other stays here. As I dragged my bedding into the unit, the deputy handed me a plastic bag. I was told to puke in it.

If I was intensely sick, they might feel generous enough to call the medical team to give me a shot to stop the nausea. I was given a “kickpack” of some over the counter medications. By the second day, I was hallucinating, searching fruitlessly for drugs in my blankets, and trying to stop a physical assault from another inmate who wanted me to shut up. By the third day, I prayed for death, as the spark of life remained illuminated in me.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/i-deto...heroin-in-jail
Sarianna (06-18-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 PM

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,181 Posts

I had no idea OUD existed, but I can see why. I did research myself and opiods do change the brain. Now there will be law suits against drug companies who knew this could happen and profited tremendously.

Now what do you do with the carnage left behind? Most of the treatments are band aids and they get hooked on new stuff. Hence why suboxine is huge is prisons now. The shot they give helps turn off the receptors in the brain, but one must go monthly or it doesn't work.

I saw my man detox in jail. He denied it as he was going through it because he didn't want me to know. It was obvious looking back. He was offered methadone and that was it. He chose cold turkey. In county, there was nothing else but going to the clinic every day. Many optedout of getting a job or going to programs because they didn't want to miss going to the clinic.

Minus programs offered closer to the end of one's sentence, there isnt anything drug treatment available. No counseling..you can talk to a priest (who recently just left). There is nothing.

It will be interesting to watch this case and then see if there is a trickle down effect because of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-17-2018), Sarianna (06-18-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:42 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,350 Times in 14,858 Posts

There have been deaths from withdrawal in county facilities here too. I'm not so sure providing methadone / suboxone is the answer though. A detox unit, maybe, that is medically supervised. And maybe not in every jail, but 1 per "region" that inmates can be sent to instead of the jail. My daughter went to detox center(s) in Louisville on her own (yes, plural & more than once) and it is my understanding that patients are provided medications to help with withdrawal that are not / would not be available at a detention facility.

Its just sad no matter how you look at it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-18-2018), Sarianna (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 04:33 PM

And something that most people do not know is that most of the drugs to help are actually very addicting also. Most people also have a sever withdrawal from those as well. I have been told by several addicts that the withdrawals from Methadone and Suboxone are just as bad, if not worse, than herion withdrawal.

Something that I, personally, have issues with is that there is NO therapies at all in DOC. In my husband's situation, he has a dual diagnosis; the judge ordered him to recieve therapy while incarcerated; and FL DOC, in all their wisdom, sent him to a facility with absolutely NO programs at all...no educational programs, no drug treatment programs, nothing.