Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 PM

Default Potential new California Bill that adds to 667.5 Violent Crimes

Just read about another bill that aims to curtail Prop 57 relief. It's called California Violent Crime Definition, DNA Collection and Parole Initiative 2018 (#17-0044). It adds many crimes onto the list.

It is still collecting signatures, but if it gets onto the ballot, hopefully it will not pass. The ACLU is coming out against it. The claim is that Prop 57 has increased crime 67%, but that is not true.

Hopefully, California's voters still continue to support criminal justice reform efforts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halo527 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-09-2018), marie8899 (04-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2018, 09:21 PM

Do you know when will they start doing the votes or where can I find that information
Old 04-08-2018, 09:23 PM

I am totally confused can you explain it more to me. I am sorry.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 16,443 Times in 6,121 Posts

The common name is the Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018. It is currently set to gain enough signatures to be on the ballot.

Basically, this act is to counter the ability of a greater number of people to access good time and non-violent offender status for the sake of parole purposes.

From their website:
  • Reclassify currently “non-violent” crimes like rape of an unconscious person, sex trafficking of a child and 14 other serious crimes as “violent” — to prevent the early release of inmates convicted of these crimes
  • Reform the parole system to stop the early release of violent felons, expand parolee oversight, and strengthen penalties for parole violations
  • Reform theft laws to restore accountability for serial thieves and organized theft gangs
  • Expand DNA collection to include those convicted of drug, theft, domestic violence and other serious crimes to help solve rape, murder and other violent crimes — and to exonerate those wrongly accused
According to the LSA, this act is well organized, funded and backed by law enforcement and DAs. It is the backlash to the passing of Prop 57 that we predicted.

The full text of the act can be found here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-09-2018), Halo527 (04-08-2018), missingdee (04-09-2018), Patrickj (04-09-2018), Sarianna (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 09:53 PM

Oh okay thank you for Clarifying it for me
Old 04-08-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
The common name is the Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018. It is currently set to gain enough signatures to be on the ballot.

Basically, this act is to counter the ability of a greater number of people to access good time and non-violent offender status for the sake of parole purposes.

From their website:
  • Reclassify currently “non-violent” crimes like rape of an unconscious person, sex trafficking of a child and 14 other serious crimes as “violent” — to prevent the early release of inmates convicted of these crimes
  • Reform the parole system to stop the early release of violent felons, expand parolee oversight, and strengthen penalties for parole violations
  • Reform theft laws to restore accountability for serial thieves and organized theft gangs
  • Expand DNA collection to include those convicted of drug, theft, domestic violence and other serious crimes to help solve rape, murder and other violent crimes — and to exonerate those wrongly accused
According to the LSA, this act is well organized, funded and backed by law enforcement and DAs. It is the backlash to the passing of Prop 57 that we predicted.

The full text of the act can be found here.
If this passes, would cdcr then have to go back and negate the early parole for people they said could have it if they are still in prison?
Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo527 View Post
If this passes, would cdcr then have to go back and negate the early parole for people they said could have it if they are still in prison?

I just want my loved one and cousin to do their time and hurry up and come home. It seem like they trying to make it hard.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshaye25 View Post
I just want my loved one and cousin to do their time and hurry up and come home. It seem like they trying to make it hard.
I know. The same people responsible for incredibly harsh sentences, want to make it harder for prisoners who may not deserve to be incarcerated for so long.

I'd rather leave it up to cdcr to determine if someone is ready for an earlier parole. No reason to keep people in longer than they need to be.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
I wouldn't think this would be retroactive. So if this eventually passes, it will face a series of re-writes and approvals and the community will have time to weigh in. You will see a flurry of activity from social activist groups to try to assuage the legislation to keep this reigned in.

Then it will have an active date. From that date forward, these parameters would apply. If that date is say, May 1, 2019 and a non-violent offender was granted parole on April 27, 2019, my assumption is they will stay the grant of parole and the inmate will be released as planned.

Making this retroactive would be a nightmare, assuming it passes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-09-2018), Halo527 (04-09-2018), Patrickj (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
I'd rather leave it up to cdcr to determine if someone is ready for an earlier parole.
It's actually the Board of Parole who makes the decision to grant or deny. CDCR has given themselves more authority to impact the length of time served than ever in the last 18 months with the passing of Prop 57. That would appear on the surface to be a positive change because it arrived in the form of expanded credits and good time. But neither of those affect parole approval or denial. That's still in the hands of the Board.

Conversely, if census gets too low and they're facing facility closures, they have the authority to alter those credits so they become even harder to obtain and therefore hold people longer til their earliest eligible parole date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (04-09-2018), Patrickj (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
It's actually the Board of Parole who makes the decision to grant or deny. CDCR has given themselves more authority to impact the length of time served than ever in the last 18 months with the passing of Prop 57. That would appear on the surface to be a positive change because it arrived in the form of expanded credits and good time. But neither of those affect parole approval or denial. That's still in the hands of the Board.

Conversely, if census gets too low and they're facing facility closures, they have the authority to alter those credits so they become even harder to obtain and therefore hold people longer til their earliest eligible parole date.

Me and my home girl was talking and she was saying that her dude EP is in 2028 but he says that he only have 10 years to do. I don’t know how long he been locked up. She was asking me would they make it hard to grant him parole. I told her idk
Old 04-09-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshaye25 View Post
Me and my home girl was talking and she was saying that her dude EP is in 2028 but he says that he only have 10 years to do. I don’t know how long he been locked up. She was asking me would they make it hard to grant him parole. I told her idk
Hi Lady's Where Can I Read More About This ? .
Old 04-09-2018, 12:56 PM

Mia linked to the website that has more info. That website has text of their proposed ballot initiative. It is very specific. They are collecting signatures to qualify it for the ballot this fall.

Same stuff that has been tried multiple times to attack the early parole provisions of prop 57. Unlike previous attempts, this is going directly to voters instead of legislators. They appear well funded and organized with backing of LEO etc.

If they get the signatures they need, the public will vote on it. If that happens, the only way to stop it is convince voters to vote against it. Because if voters pass, it will be the law. Halo527 says in her first post that ACLU is already making their opposition known. I hope other advocacy groups emerge who will work to convince / educate the public that this is a bad idea.

And that we get behind them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (04-09-2018), miamac (04-09-2018), Patrickj (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
If that date is say, May 1, 2019 and a non-violent offender was granted parole on April 27, 2019, my assumption is they will stay the grant of parole and the inmate will be released as planned.

Making this retroactive would be a nightmare, assuming it passes.
I agree with that scenario.

I suspect it may be retroactive in the sense of an inmate who for example (based on Mia's example May 1 2019 effective date) was incarcerated in 2014 of a NVO and has a parole eligibility date of June 2019. This makes his offense violent. He probably loses his parole eligibility.

There will be people in situations like that. Grossly unfair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-09-2018), Patrickj (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:27 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,921 Times in 906 Posts

the Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018.Read here I get hounded every time I go to a store on the weekend to sign the petition for this initiative and a bunch of other initiatives, most of the other ones I do not agree with nor do I support this one just my Lets fix what is already broken Re write Prop.57 to cover only non violent offenders like it was originally presented to us. Not let CDCR write and administrate policy and procedure involving the changing of the Penal Code without the voters say so or the legislators of California.

Last edited by Patrickj; 04-09-2018 at 01:34 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-09-2018), miamac (04-09-2018), missingdee (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
I agree with that scenario.

I suspect it may be retroactive in the sense of an inmate who for example (based on Mia's example May 1 2019 effective date) was incarcerated in 2014 of a NVO and has a parole eligibility date of June 2019. This makes his offense violent. He probably loses his parole eligibility.

There will be people in situations like that. Grossly unfair.
I Have A Other Question Lady's Where Can You Vote ?
Old 04-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdalineNChris View Post
This will be on your regular state ballot. I'm not familiar with CA voting practices as I live in AZ, but if you are a registered voter you will be notified of the polling stations nearest you or vote by mail if that's the case.

If you are not registered to vote, you can do that at the DMV, local elections office or sometimes your public library.

And, just because I love them both so much and want to be inclusive...Patrick and gvalliant are our fearless and informative male members and we ladies appreciate their contributions.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:11 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,921 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdalineNChris View Post
You can register to vote on line here California Online Voter Registration Once you are register to vote this This items maybe on our ballot during our next primary or in the general election in November
Halo527 (04-09-2018), miamac (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:

I would be VERY surprised if California ever gets to that happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Halo527 For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Mia linked to the website that has more info. That website has text of their proposed ballot initiative. It is very specific. They are collecting signatures to qualify it for the ballot this fall.

Same stuff that has been tried multiple times to attack the early parole provisions of prop 57. Unlike previous attempts, this is going directly to voters instead of legislators. They appear well funded and organized with backing of LEO etc.

If they get the signatures they need, the public will vote on it. If that happens, the only way to stop it is convince voters to vote against it. Because if voters pass, it will be the law. Halo527 says in her first post that ACLU is already making their opposition known. I hope other advocacy groups emerge who will work to convince / educate the public that this is a bad idea.

And that we get behind them.
If there is a way we can get behind the effort to convince voters to vote against it that you know of, would you please let me know? I'm already planning on donating to ACLU.

And I plan on writing Op Ed pieces in California Newspapers about the experience our family ran into with our son. I never really knew or understood how the system worked until he got in trouble. I'm willing to be that there are many people who don't understand the system.

A good example to let people know is that I had no idea that you could amass 10 strikes in one incident! When I voted for that law, my understanding was that people would get three chances to get their act together. And although the Superior Court of California weighed in on it, the judge does NOT have to drop any of the prior strikes if they don't want to.

And also, I had no idea about gun enhancements and how they could affect your sentence. Or that many judges won't buck the DA's. Or how about how powerful the DA's are to totally destroy someone's life with these long harsh sentences? Especially when studies have been done that state that overly long sentences really don't do any good and in fact only make people feel that an injustice has been done to them.

Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soapbox - guess I'm just practicing
The Following User Says Thank You to Halo527 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
I would be VERY surprised if California ever gets to that happening.
Me, too. But they've built in a safety net with the credits just in case. This whole thing started way back with an order from the feds to reduce their population. It's been years of chipping away at their overall percentage, but they're legally allowed to house at 135%. But even that number is deceptive because some categories of inmates aren't counted in that number and we've yet to see out of state coming back.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
If there is a way we can get behind the effort to convince voters to vote against it that you know of, would you please let me know? I'm already planning on donating to ACLU.
If you use Facebook, Initiate Justice is a highly energetic group tackling some of the major footwork for reform. Their founder is the wife of a man currently incarcerated and she gave up her full time job to do this. They hold meetings and organize work being done all over the state. If nothing else they are a good place to read about the latest in ballot measures and what's being done to promote change.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
And, just because I love them both so much and want to be inclusive...Patrick and gvalliant are our fearless and informative male members and we ladies appreciate their contributions.
I admire your taste.

I want to second Mia's comments re initiate justice.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...iate%20justice. Taina and Rich are a bright young couple and dedicated advocates for criminal justice reform. They know what they are doing, have developed connections at the state capital. Volunteer non-profit organization. They have accomplished a surprising amount inside and outside prison in their approximate 2 years of existence.

For anyone who wants to get involved or help or get behind or just get informed on how to help change things they are a good choice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (04-09-2018), miamac (04-09-2018), Sarianna (04-11-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I admire your taste.

I want to second Mia's comments re initiate justice.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...iate%20justice. Taina and Rich are a bright young couple and dedicated advocates for criminal justice reform. They know what they are doing, have developed connections at the state capital. Volunteer non-profit organization. They have accomplished a surprising amount inside and outside prison in their approximate 2 years of existence.

For anyone who wants to get involved or help or get behind or just get informed on how to help change things they are a good choice.

Use this better link - https://www.facebook.com/initiatejustice1/. This goes direct to their page. The other link does bring Initiate Justice up, as well as a few other organizations with similar or same name
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (04-10-2018), miamac (04-10-2018)