Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Domestic Violence
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Domestic Violence News and information relating to domestic violence in general. Please post here if you don't see a sub-forums that fits better.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Staying lost

In 105 days my husbAnd will be released from prison. He will flatten his sentence.

There was quite a bit of domestic, emotional, financial, mental violence before he went to prison. Yes, I was afraid of him then and am still afraid of him now. I have thought of leaving before he gets out of prison. One of the problems I cannot figure out is how to keep him from finding me.

He has my date of birth, my social security number. All he has to do is a credit check to find me.......ok, so it may take a little longer, but he would find me. He knows people, car tag information, mail me a letter and have it returned with a correct address....there are many ways. How to stay hidden.

Tim's wife

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 05:03 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Superstar of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,917 Times in 1,591 Posts

Hi. There are ways to protect yourself and make yourself safer; this cannot happen if you remain with him.

I would strongly advise you to find your nearest Women's Center and speak with a Domestic Violence counselor. They can assist you in developing a safety plan as well as locating the legal resources to add to that protection. Please see someone immediately!

The web site for the National DV Hotline is here.

In every state there is 211; a social service directory that has trained operators to assist you in finding whatever social service resource you may need. Many states also have a searchable database available online that you can access. It is sponsored by the United Way and is free. From a land-line, call 211. Ask for help with domestic violence. Or, in google (whatever search engine you like), put your state and 211--this should provide the link.

I wish you the very best. Please do not settle for this life or assume you have no recourse. Get help!

So...What's your point?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-02-2014), yourself (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 05:09 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,683 Times in 954 Posts

Contact your local Women's Domestic Abuse Shelter and they can help you!! Don't be afraid to ask for help! Also, that's the scary part about being in an Domestic Abuse Relationship is the fact yes, your spouse/boyfriend can come looking for you!
That's why I stated above get into contact with your local Domestic Abuse Shelter.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Devoted Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,417 Times in 677 Posts

Hi!

if you are willing to move to a different state, most battered women's support programs can help get you to an out of state shelter. You can also have your SSN changed if you are a battered woman. Call the Nat'l DV Hotline @ 800-799-7233 and they can help you.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Michele
lil peep (10-14-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,372 Times in 9,279 Posts

So there you go - there is help, and you now know about it. If you reach out, you will get help. Please, do it soon! Please!

And think about the one good thing about disappearing . . . it takes about a year for an abuser to lose interest and ensnare a new target. That's probably all you need to do - stay lost for a little while with the help of the domestic abuse people.
brunhilde (02-01-2014), lil peep (10-14-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Contacting a women's shelter is important. But you may want to consider filing for a divorce. You can also get a restraining order, this will protect you and any other people that he has threatened. For the restraining order all you have to do is list out the times that he has threatened to kill you or your loved ones. With the restraining order he will not be able to contact you in any way or come within x amount of feet of you. If you report him violating the restraining order he will be instantly arrested. I know that you are worried about him tracking you down and you are afraid for your life but you have options and it's better to get out now, especially since he still has a few months left in prison, then to wait until after he has been released. Think about your kid/kids and about what is best for them in the long run. Life insurance is not going to protect them, they need their mother. If you have to move then move, you need to do what is best for your safety and your family's safety. I sincerely hope that you do get help and get away from this guy.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:44 AM
tired

Thanked 14,145 Times in 3,686 Posts

Yeah you need to talk to.them, maybe even enter the shelter but sometimes if they feel you are in immediate danger they help you relocate. And for sure you need a restraining order but understand it has to be served on him and if you violate it by being scared and going around him then you also can be arrested (the order works both ways)
Its sad when another makes us feel this threatened. I wish I could help you. Those individuals working in the shelters are very smart when dealing with situations like this....go talk with them.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 PM

Default Social security

yo
If you really are serious about leaving your local police have programs that will relocate you as well because of domestic violence you can have your social changed as well use a different name.
Its worth it ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJwife View Post
In 105 days my husbAnd will be released from prison. He will flatten his sentence.

There was quite a bit of domestic, emotional, financial, mental violence before he went to prison. Yes, I was afraid of him then and am still afraid of him now. I have thought of leaving before he gets out of prison. One of the problems I cannot figure out is how to keep him from finding me.

He has my date of birth, my social security number. All he has to do is a credit check to find me.......ok, so it may take a little longer, but he would find me. He knows people, car tag information, mail me a letter and have it returned with a correct address....there are many ways. How to stay hidden.

Tim's wife