Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & events Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in Arizona, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:45 PM

Default Adoc staff....pay attention!

Let me make myself perfectly clear...if there are any officers or other employees who work for ADOC who visit this site. You can let your boss know that I have contacted the ACLU, ABC Joe Ducey, and Im not finished making phone calls today. My loved one is in South unit and they just took an inmate out who died on the way to the hospital. This man went to medical 2x for fever and difficulty breathing and was sent back to his unit. Now he is dead. I dont care what excuse you think is sufficient to explain how you can threaten these inmates with disciplinary action by trying to protect themselves by wearing bandanas or whatever they can find to cover their mouth and nose. This is ludicrous, negligent and inhumane treatment. And clearly an 8th amendment violation. I personally will see to it that the families of these inmates rally together to force CDC and the govenors compliance orders by ADOC to prevent further deaths. Hope you know you got a shit storm on your hands! I encourage anyone with a family member or friend in ADOC's care to start making phone calls as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desertdweller11 For This Useful Post:
Jacob's Girl (04-21-2020), studebaker71 (04-21-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2020, 05:20 PM

Desertdweller,

Unfortunately alot of people don't understand that facial masks and bandanas don't work. What is needed in prisons is natural air flow, cleanliness, attentive medical personnel and with the lockdown the prison co would also need to be locked in so as not to bring in contaminants from outside. The prisons need to not be so cramped up with prisoners, the food needs to be substantial and nutrient based and the inmates need to go out for fresh air instead of being crammed up in tiny little cells. Inotherwords the prison system has to put in some occupation health and safety measures for all the inmates to keep them healthy. And these measures are very much lacking and therefore are causing a roll on effect. I'm concerned for my loved one also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
BBQueen (04-28-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 05:52 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,640 Times in 2,286 Posts

plus... you are dealing with prison and not the Ritz Carlton. My guy has been telling me he's sitting on a bomb which could explose any second... inmates get anxious, the staff is overwhelmed, they do have mask but still... we are all sitting on a explosive device and in prison it's even worse. His meal schedule is also totally off... can you do something about it? Not really.. Just pray pray pray...
Old 04-20-2020, 07:07 PM

Well I must disagree. The CDC definately reccommends some sort of cloth facial mask especially in settings such as a prison. And I dont think its too much to expect a correctional facility in the U.S. to have already had an emergency plan in place because infectious diseases are always a risk in prison. I will not sit idlely hoping or praying when these people are accountable for those in their custody. This isnt rocket science these are basic infection control protocols which are easily implemented. The fact that Centurion sent this inmate away 2x with a fever and difficulty breathing is medical negligence on their part and he should have been placed in isolation or sent to a hospital capable of rendering proper treatment, no excuse. These guys are serving their punishment but didnt sign for a death sentence and certainly not when they are being denied PPE and threatened with disciplinary action for trying to protect their health. The only person Im praying for right now is for that director Shinn to pull his head out of his ass before its buried in lawsuits for this irresponsible management during this pandemic.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,488 Times in 3,237 Posts

I understand your anger, I really do. However, please remember this policy:

Police/Correctional Officer Bashing
While we encourage full disclosure, investigation and the sharing of relevant information relating to abuses by institutional staff (management, guards, jailers, CO’s,etc), blatant and unprovoked bashing of these people is not allowed. Please also refrain from derogatory name calling.
Please do not go to any forum or site where Correctional or Police Officers are known to congregate and incite problems that may follow you back to the PTO community.
Any member of PTO that has gone to another website and created a problem puts their membership of this community at risk.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:38 PM

Im not bashing Im holding others accountable for the paycheck they receive from my hard earned money and to meet the job descriptions they were hired for. I am speaking most directly at the medical staff as peers and questioning what protocols they are following. They answer ultimately to a board that has nothing to do with the prison and everything to do with an oath they took to practice and be licensed under. Y'all seemed to be worried about phone calls and meals well if they are dead you wont have to worry about either one. This is serious and they are not even testing every one so no one really knows how many cases of Covid there are. Im not going to be quiet and let my man die in the easy bake oven there. If they are mandating that officers must wear masks then why not the inmates too? And you are ok with that? This is an very unpleasant infection to die from, basically you suffocate. At what point do you speak up for those who have no voice?
Old 04-20-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller11 View Post
Im not bashing Im holding others accountable for the paycheck they receive from my hard earned money and to meet the job descriptions they were hired for. I am speaking most directly at the medical staff as peers and questioning what protocols they are following. They answer ultimately to a board that has nothing to do with the prison and everything to do with an oath they took to practice and be licensed under. Y'all seemed to be worried about phone calls and meals well if they are dead you wont have to worry about either one. This is serious and they are not even testing every one so no one really knows how many cases of Covid there are. Im not going to be quiet and let my man die in the easy bake oven there. If they are mandating that officers must wear masks then why not the inmates too? And you are ok with that? This is an very unpleasant infection to die from, basically you suffocate. At what point do you speak up for those who have no voice?

We are all as worried as you are but in saying this you are attacking the wrong people in a wrong environment setting. This place is a forum and the governmental people that come here have no authority to assist you in your fight. They're just like the rest of us who have loved ones and come here either for support or to give support. I know you're angry and are afraid, we all are. But your anger should be directed away from this forum and expressed via writing to your congress. If you wish to create some sort of petition to get the laws action-ed i am sure we would all jump on board to sign it. if you wish us to write to our congress and the president I am sure we would all do so. But to come here and threaten ADOC Staff we will not support this type of behavior or action. Don't forget these people are also subjected to the same threat from the virus as you, your loved one and many others the world over. So please calm down and rethink your actions. People are dying everywhere from this virus and it's not just limited to prisons, it's also in hospitals, aged care facilities and here in the free world. I'm not trying to attack you, just trying to make you see reason beyond your anger state.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
maytayah (04-21-2020), patchouli (04-21-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:46 PM
Crazy Cajun Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,617 Times in 7,588 Posts

All of us who have loved ones incarcerated are sick with worry right now, and I know you are not the only one upset. You are doing what all families need to be doing right now...contacting those in charge.

Fussing at the ADOC here isn't going to help those inmates get the help they need. Those that work there are only following the orders they are given. I understand your need to vent. We're all at a breaking point. Just make sure to direct your energies where they will really count.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (04-21-2020), sass4221 (04-21-2020), sidewalker (04-21-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 11:53 PM

Following orders? So check it out if a patient presents with fever and shortness of breath, 2 common symptoms of Covid infection, and the health care provider sends them back to their unit. That provider is guilty of negligence and malpractice. And if someone gave them orders to do that, they have a responsibility to that patient not the DOC, to make a phone call to the state licensing board. Write Congress in DC? Uh no, the employees of this prison know the difference between right and wrong. And if you are going to let a man die because you dont have balls to speak up, then maybe they should re-evaluate what their actual job is. Ive got 4 large entities involved as of right now and they are just as concerned as I am. But dont tell me not to take it to the boots on the ground they are witnessing it first hand. Squeaky wheel gets the oil and every family out there who has a loved one incarcerated should be proactively advocating for these guys. If I ruffle some feathers, so be it. Its better than getting a call that my loved one was turned away and died because they were following orders and failed to treat in a timely manner. We have plenty of ventilators and supplies to treat each case right now. But these guys my husband included have been living in confined quarters with this latest victim and there will be more to follow that could have been prevented. This is nonsense that they will not provide use of PPE by the inmates during a pandemic. This isnt the middle ages and we are in the United States. They have tablets but they cant have a mask? Its almost comical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desertdweller11 For This Useful Post:
Chris’Girl (04-24-2020), Jacob's Girl (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 08:45 AM

Thanked 1,090 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Let me make myself perfectly clear...if there are any officers or other employees who work for ADOC who visit this site. You can let your boss know that I have contacted the ACLU, ABC Joe Ducey, and Im not finished making phone calls today. My loved one is in South unit and they just took an inmate out who died on the way to the hospital. This man went to medical 2x for fever and difficulty breathing and was sent back to his unit. Now he is dead. I dont care what excuse you think is sufficient to explain how you can threaten these inmates with disciplinary action by trying to protect themselves by wearing bandanas or whatever they can find to cover their mouth and nose. This is ludicrous, negligent and inhumane treatment. And clearly an 8th amendment violation. I personally will see to it that the families of these inmates rally together to force CDC and the govenors compliance orders by ADOC to prevent further deaths. Hope you know you got a shit storm on your hands! I encourage anyone with a family member or friend in ADOC's care to start making phone calls as well.
As a Correctional Officer (Not working for ADOC) I understand your frustrations. This is an unprecedented time and situation. What I can tell you is that many times staff is pulled in many different directions and guidance that comes down from "higher" does at times contradict what we both know what should be "common sense" recommendations from CDC and other sources. I can tell you we are dealing with the same thing as staff members, our safety is also at risk. Our powers that be make decisions that make us shake our heads too.

I am truthfully sorry to hear about the death of any inmate to this Virus. As a Correctional worker we have been charged with the safety and security of inmates. To include against the virus. I hope you get somewhere with your complaints, all you can do is make people aware.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
Chris’Girl (04-24-2020), kari dunn (06-29-2020), LifeTraveler (04-21-2020), maytayah (04-21-2020), MizzyMuffling (04-21-2020), patchouli (04-21-2020), sass4221 (04-21-2020), trauma4us (04-26-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:14 AM
Crazy Cajun Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,617 Times in 7,588 Posts

Quote:
Following orders? So check it out if a patient presents with fever and shortness of breath, 2 common symptoms of Covid infection, and the health care provider sends them back to their unit. That provider is guilty of negligence and malpractice. And if someone gave them orders to do that, they have a responsibility to that patient not the DOC, to make a phone call to the state licensing board. Write Congress in DC? Uh no, the employees of this prison know the difference between right and wrong. And if you are going to let a man die because you dont have balls to speak up, then maybe they should re-evaluate what their actual job is. Ive got 4 large entities involved as of right now and they are just as concerned as I am. But dont tell me not to take it to the boots on the ground they are witnessing it first hand. Squeaky wheel gets the oil and every family out there who has a loved one incarcerated should be proactively advocating for these guys. If I ruffle some feathers, so be it. Its better than getting a call that my loved one was turned away and died because they were following orders and failed to treat in a timely manner. We have plenty of ventilators and supplies to treat each case right now. But these guys my husband included have been living in confined quarters with this latest victim and there will be more to follow that could have been prevented. This is nonsense that they will not provide use of PPE by the inmates during a pandemic. This isnt the middle ages and we are in the United States. They have tablets but they cant have a mask? Its almost comical.

I agree with this. And, I never said don't take it to the boots on the ground. I just feel like getting it out there via journalists and congress people who CAN make a difference will get more traction. You're right. We don't know for sure who or if anybody from ADOC reads here, and it could make a difference. All I'm saying is that if regular COs read here, they may or may not take what you're saying to heart. If they do....GOOD!!

Old 04-21-2020, 10:25 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,453 Times in 17,277 Posts

Contact your Congressmen & state Representatives; go up the chain of command of the medical provider - they are contracted with their own set of rules & standards.

Granted, the medical personnel should follow ADOC protocols, but they also have to answer to the higher-ups at their own company. Somebody in medical had a duty to stand up against ADOC if it was ADOC's choice to send the inmate back to cell knowing he was seriously ill. Somebody in medical had a duty to stand up against their own CEO if the medical provider made the decision to send him back to his cell to infect others & die.

This Covid pandemic is uncharted territory. No one living today has experienced anything of this magnitude. When its all said and done, I'm sure there will be many folks asking themselves, "Why didn't I... _____?" and "What if I had... _____? Could I have made a difference?"

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Born (04-21-2020), Chris’Girl (04-24-2020), LifeTraveler (04-21-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
As a Correctional Officer (Not working for ADOC) I understand your frustrations. This is an unprecedented time and situation. What I can tell you is that many times staff is pulled in many different directions and guidance that comes down from "higher" does at times contradict what we both know what should be "common sense" recommendations from CDC and other sources. I can tell you we are dealing with the same thing as staff members, our safety is also at risk. Our powers that be make decisions that make us shake our heads too.

I am truthfully sorry to hear about the death of any inmate to this Virus. As a Correctional worker we have been charged with the safety and security of inmates. To include against the virus. I hope you get somewhere with your complaints, all you can do is make people aware.
I appreciate your comment and I am just as concerned for officers as well. I understand very well the position that staff is placed in. I am working dilligently on trying to get this addressed with those who will be able to influence and bring a remedy to this situation. I just wish more family members would call or write the director, and the govenors office and demand they be allowef PPE. It made me nauseaous when I read the inmates at Perryville were ordered to sew cloth masks for staff but were not permitted to make any for the inmates. Sounds more like concentration camp treatment of prisoners.
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertdweller11 For This Useful Post:
Shelby67 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 03:26 AM

Quote:
100% agree with you. I have been doing the same thing. My husband has a compromised immunity (like so many others) and cannot afford to contract this disease. So, yes, I have been calling, emailing and generally trying to get him some sort of help. I feel that if you are locking people up, you have a duty of care to look after them and I personally feel that is not happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shelby67 For This Useful Post:
Desertdweller11 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 11:21 PM

Default scared

Quote:
I appreciate your comment and I am just as concerned for officers as well. I understand very well the position that staff is placed in. I am working dilligently on trying to get this addressed with those who will be able to influence and bring a remedy to this situation. I just wish more family members would call or write the director, and the govenors office and demand they be allowef PPE. It made me nauseaous when I read the inmates at Perryville were ordered to sew cloth masks for staff but were not permitted to make any for the inmates. Sounds more like concentration camp treatment of prisoners.
I personally am scared that something bad may happen as a consequence of me speaking up for my family member. If the inmate passes we will never know what happened. I know that through Christ all things are possible and I put everyone's loved ones and the staffers on my prayer list every night. That's the only way I can cope.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:12 PM

Default ACLU Arizona Website to sign letter to Govenor Ducey . *Please advocate

https://action.aclu.org/send-message/az-ducey

Above is the web address for ACLU Arizona, If you scroll down the page on the website you will find a form letter written to the Govenor in regards to protecting inmates during this pandemic. I encourage everyone to sign this letter!
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertdweller11 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 03:34 AM

Quote:
https://action.aclu.org/send-message/az-ducey

Above is the web address for ACLU Arizona, If you scroll down the page on the website you will find a form letter written to the Govenor in regards to protecting inmates during this pandemic. I encourage everyone to sign this letter!

That's what i get when i click on the link so as to sign it do you have another?

Page Not Found

Sorry, we're not able to find the page you're looking for.
If you want to take online action to protect civil liberties, check the ACLU Action Center or find an ACLU affiliate on this map.
To support ACLU financially, become a member, renew your membership, or become a monthly donor.
If none of these options is what you're looking for, you'll surely find it by scanning the ACLU.org homepage or clicking the Search icon on that page.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:47 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,453 Times in 17,277 Posts

Here's a link to ACLU Arizona's webpage:

https://www.acluaz.org/en/responding-covid-19-pandemic

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Born (04-29-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 06:08 PM

I just told that the spread of covid 19 has started at PERRYVILLE prison. for those of you that have LO there, join in to get our governer to release our female LO, mothers, daughters, sisters, aunt, cousins. these are your family members. our governer is bed with the big pharma, and he is not for the people. he is looking to move up in government. what is it going to take. a great lost of life before action is taken. if it were your love one died before this virus, how would you feel when there is a chance to get our LO released. please consider!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to babylove1 For This Useful Post:
Desertdweller11 (05-05-2020)