Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Dieting & Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,054 Posts
Talking Working out....at work

Hey there all! So I work a desk job 8-9 hours a day...been here for 11 years.

I've always been that woman who ate whatever she wanted and never gained weight. Had 4 kids and still maintained the same weight as I did before pregnancy. I worked out but more for stress relief than anything else. I didn't do near enough to offset all the junk I ate.

Then my (soon to be ex) husband started hinting that he'd prefer me a little heavier and in attempt to make him happy somehow I put on about 10 pounds...which was no big deal and it did fill me out nicely. Then we separated and I found myself hanging out with a new guy and cooking A LOT of delicious carb heavy (think southern comfort) food. And I put on another 8 or so pounds.....aaaaaand now we have a problem. Having a new guy around (and one who's not in prison at that) along with 4 kids and a full time job I can't seem to find the time to work out that I used to have in the evenings. So I've decided to implement working out at work along with packing veggies and salads for lunch and yogurt for breakfast I'm hoping to see SOME change.

Yesterday I did 20 squats (my ultimate favorite workout) an hour all day that I was at work and finished it off with jump squats at home.

Today I'm doing plank variations, 1 set every hour.

Tomorrow I'll go back to squats but do a different variation.

Will it work miracles? No probably not. Is it better than the nothing I was doing before? Inevitably! I definitely felt the burn in my legs when I got up this morning and that was a great feeling after wondering when I could fit workouts into my busy life!

What's your favorite exercise that you can do anywhere?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 14,254 Times in 5,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
What's your favorite exercise that you can do anywhere?
Walking lunges with a knee raise. I used to embarrass the crap out of my ex by doing in them in grocery store aisles. I've done them in airports, hotel hallways, hospital waiting rooms, campus libraries with my backpack on. They hit glutes/abs/quads in one shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM

I get 3 ten minute breaks at work. Since I'm not a smoker, these are pretty worthless. However, I walk around the block at work three times. In all, it burns about 150 calories. I also walk to and from work when I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsanner For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Walking lunges with a knee raise. I used to embarrass the crap out of my ex by doing in them in grocery store aisles. I've done them in airports, hotel hallways, hospital waiting rooms, campus libraries with my backpack on. They hit glutes/abs/quads in one shot.
In the winter when I do a lot of walking I do walking lunges along the route! Extra bonus if I'm carrying the 35 pound toddler on my back but I think I'll invest in a weight vest for when I'm not.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanner View Post
I get 3 ten minute breaks at work. Since I'm not a smoker, these are pretty worthless. However, I walk around the block at work three times. In all, it burns about 150 calories. I also walk to and from work when I can.
I don't get any real breaks at work...eating lunch at my desk right now and answering the phone between bites but I do walk all I can. In AZ it sucks as it's still 100 in October but if I have to walk out to our other building I take the long way there and back and try to walk most evenings in the winter. Thank goodness for crock pot meals! Walking to work isn't an option but I've always been envious of those who live in beautiful places who get to bike/walk to work!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:10 AM

what i do at work to keep active because i too sit at a desk all day... part of my lunch break i walk up and down the parking garage (i like the uphill walk rather than walking around my building). i do it about 20 mins since i get an hour lunch i have time to eat and walk. while walking i stop and do squats, lunges, calf raises, and little stuff like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to anmlove89 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
I don't get any real breaks at work...eating lunch at my desk right now and answering the phone between bites but I do walk all I can. In AZ it sucks as it's still 100 in October but if I have to walk out to our other building I take the long way there and back and try to walk most evenings in the winter. Thank goodness for crock pot meals! Walking to work isn't an option but I've always been envious of those who live in beautiful places who get to bike/walk to work!
I grew up in Phoenix. I fondly remember wearing shorts for Halloween and being able to mountain bike 365 days a year. The weather is untypically warm this year and I'm quite grateful for it. Walking on my break will be off limits here soon enough and won't resume til April or May usually. Cycling isn't an option, either. We have the nation's worst drivers and some of the worst roads in the country. But I'll walk anywhere...whether 110 in Phoenix or -10 here in Pennsylvania.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsanner For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanner View Post
I grew up in Phoenix. I fondly remember wearing shorts for Halloween and being able to mountain bike 365 days a year. The weather is untypically warm this year and I'm quite grateful for it. Walking on my break will be off limits here soon enough and won't resume til April or May usually. Cycling isn't an option, either. We have the nation's worst drivers and some of the worst roads in the country. But I'll walk anywhere...whether 110 in Phoenix or -10 here in Pennsylvania.
I love walking and hiking and used to do it year round.....buuuuut now I have little kids, one with medical conditions and it's not really an option anymore in the summer but we try to get in as much as we can when the weather is nice. I hope your warm autumn keeps up a little longer so you can keep enjoying it!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:29 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,562 Times in 13,149 Posts

Since I walk while Im working, I dont work out.
lol.
Not even sure how long my route is, but guessing maybe 5 miles?
My old route I drove off once, just to see how long it was on the street.
It was 11 miles.
Now with a puppy who likes his walks I usually DO take him out for a short one.
Or to the park for some ball fetching.
This past summer was pretty hot, so the usual 4 mile walk on Sundays just didnt happen too much. Now with winter coming on, well......I feel some major slacking coming on.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,028 Posts

I'm going to a fitness studio 1-3 a week and I do a lot for my upper back because I have a herniated disk/verterbrae (or whatever it's called) in my neck/upper back. I do go on the treadmill for at least 30 mins with an incline to warm up and to do some fat-burning and basically I walk a lot also. I live in the middle of the city and take the tram to work, don't own a car, don't need a car and I'm mostly walking.
sidewalker (11-29-2017)