Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:18 AM

Default 10 months in SHU (Federal), what can we do about it?

A friend of my boyfriends is currently going into his 10th month in the SHU. He’s in a federal prison, and we thought the limit was 6 consecutive months. He’s tried talking to the warden..... is there anything I can do from the outside?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingHim0110 View Post
A friend of my boyfriends is currently going into his 10th month in the SHU. He’s in a federal prison, and we thought the limit was 6 consecutive months. He’s tried talking to the warden..... is there anything I can do from the outside?
Omg that sounds horrible!! I’m not familiar with fed, only Illinois, but I saw this and had to comment becuz it sounds inhumane and pisses me off!

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

Old 10-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,951 Times in 13,197 Posts

What reason do they give him? Investigations can be open ended, which means they don't violate bop policy. The Dept. of Justice's office of Inspector General is supposed to investigate bop wrongdoing, but be wary of bop retaliation.
https://oig.justice.gov/
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Generally there is no time limit, as long as there is an investigation. Do investigations take as long as 10 months? Sure they can, especially if there are going to be criminal charges. He can also be in SHU because they perceive him to be a threat and a disruption to other inmates in general population. Maybe the investigation is complete and he is waiting for transfer, but the paperwork is moving slower than normal.

They are required to give him some sort of reason as to why he is in SHU this long. It might not be a complete answer, but they should give him something to go off of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
What reason do they give him? Investigations can be open ended, which means they don't violate bop policy. The Dept. of Justice's office of Inspector General is supposed to investigate bop wrongdoing, but be wary of bop retaliation.
https://oig.justice.gov/
I dont think there is anything you can do. My father has a friend who is in Florence federal prison. My dad's friend has been there this the super max part opened. He's been I M prison over 40 years which is most of his life. And most of it he has had no human contact. He rights my father every 6 months or so and my dad rights him back. But other then letters he cant us the phone, or anyhing....
My dad has tried a lot of thing. I believe its 23 years he's been in solitary confinement with no human contact. I think my dad said like once a day for an hour they allow him while shackled to walk around like a super small litte square court. When no one else is out. That's what they do at florence I guess. So I'm not sure if it is only the old guys they still do that to. Which I think is very sad... and wrong hopefully that doesn't happen to your husbands friend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg_fos89 For This Useful Post:
bookwatch (10-10-2019), fbopnomore (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
Generally there is no time limit, as long as there is an investigation. Do investigations take as long as 10 months? Sure they can, especially if there are going to be criminal charges. He can also be in SHU because they perceive him to be a threat and a disruption to other inmates in general population. Maybe the investigation is complete and he is waiting for transfer, but the paperwork is moving slower than normal.

They are required to give him some sort of reason as to why he is in SHU this long. It might not be a complete answer, but they should give him something to go off of.
It just sounds so long to me omg! But I understand there are always ‘circumstances’ to cause that length of time.

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

Old 10-14-2019, 08:23 AM

Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do. My husband was placed in the SHU for his own protection and spent 3.5 months there. I got in touch with our state's senators and US representatives and had them inquire with the BOP about initiating a transfer. In addition, I had his attorney reach out about the same thing and I contacted his case manager weekly. They pulled him out to fill out paperwork on the senator inquiries but I learned that they were less than thrilled with the extra paperwork and only took it out on him transferring him even farther away to an awful location not meant for his security level.

So now, I haven't really done anything about an additional transfer as I worry they will take it out on him again.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to mlj2374 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 08:47 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,405 Times in 1,991 Posts

"So I'm not sure if it is only the old guys they still do that to."

EVERYBODY at ADX in Florence, CO is treated this way, but most get one call every 30 days if they have the money.
fbopnomore (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 09:36 AM

Once you are in their custody they basically can do whatever they want, sad fact. They can take as long as they want to investigate and they do. It’s an evil system and the road to hell will be paved with Cops, DA’s, judges, wardens and CO’s.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,405 Times in 1,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
Once you are in their custody they basically can do whatever they want, sad fact. They can take as long as they want to investigate and they do. It’s an evil system and the road to hell will be paved with Cops, DA’s, judges, wardens and CO’s.

And this is why I only got arrested one time. WHY people keep doing things to return to prison is something I can’t understand.