Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,207 Times in 2,544 Posts

forever hopeful,

We have a sticky dedicated to Big Spring where you may find some helpful information. I'm going to move your post there.

You can find it by clicking on the link below:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272298
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Default gary mulgrew - gang of one

gary mulgrew has written a good book outlining the horrors he experienced within the US judicial/penal system after being extradited, given a `show trial` and sent to big spring.

it sounds like an absolute nightmare.

i'm not allowed to post links so google for "gang-of-one" dot com.

that's the title of his book and his dedicated web site.

youtube for gary speaking and wikipedia "natwest three" for details of the case.

it's incredible that many american politicians make a big deal out of their christian beliefs but allow abusive activities to flourish within the prison system.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
His rib...his Queen...

I heard tons of negative too when we were preparing for my man to move to Big Spring. The hardest for him to get used to was the dorm style living. I believe it all depends on how the person chooses to do their time. My man is busy with school and when not in school he is working out. Visits there are cool. I have no complaints. Everything I was told about how horrible it was to visit there, I have not seen or experienced. The actual campus looks real nice, I have no clue on how it is in the living quarters, like I said before my man says it sucks cuz he is use to his privacy.
If you are planning on visiting and you are on a budget there is a Hospitality House that you can stay at and its near the prison. Big Spring itself is very easy to get around. It is oil country so bottled water, the tap water will taste nasty. Also the cost of hotels/motels are higher because it is oil country. If you have more questions I will try to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever hopeful View Post
Would appreciate any information about Big Springs Facility in Texas
Have heard negative things any information is helpful
oregonmelissa (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 PM

I haven't been able to visit yet, but I am grateful for your post, Soulyrical. I think you are absolutely right that it all depends on how the person chooses to do their time. My bf has the same attitude. While he tells me about some of the struggles, he spends most of his time focusing on the good things he is able to accomplish and on the future. I won't try to argue with those who say it is a terrible place - I don't have anything to compare it to. But we spend most of our time focusing on the future. I like knowing that there are similar-minded men who are there with him. It makes this all a bit easier.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 AM
His rib...his Queen...

Melissa let me know when you decide you are going to visit. If you are having to travel that will cost enough, so I suggest that you stay at the hospitality house and make a donation. They have rules and a curfew, but it is a nice and safe place to stay. If you let me know when you plan to visit, I will make arrangements to go on the same weekend and I can help you with your first visit and getting to the prison. Private message me if you would like. We have a little group outside of here that talks and meets up. There is only a couple of us. I have not found very many people who have men at Big Spring, not on here or on other social networks. How long has your man been there? Mine just got there in October. The complaints I read on visit I don't get. I am not sure what it is that they want to do in visit, (I have an idea ) but compared to some Fed facilities they are very lenient in many ways. Me and my man are very affectionate towards one another. You are allowed to kiss at the beginning and at the end. You get to steal kisses through out the visit and you are allowed to hold hands. There are no tables, so you get to sit next to each other or across from one another. The CO's seem to be ok, no extreme behavior or jerks. You always have at least one who is more strict than another, but it is like that every where. I think it also depends on our attitude and behavior and again about what kind of time our man wants to do. Some let the time do them, others they forget they are in prison not the Hilton, and then you have the bad attitudes and the ones who don't care and continue to mess it up and make everyone else's time hard. Hit me up and we will talk more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmelissa View Post
I haven't been able to visit yet, but I am grateful for your post, Soulyrical. I think you are absolutely right that it all depends on how the person chooses to do their time. My bf has the same attitude. While he tells me about some of the struggles, he spends most of his time focusing on the good things he is able to accomplish and on the future. I won't try to argue with those who say it is a terrible place - I don't have anything to compare it to. But we spend most of our time focusing on the future. I like knowing that there are similar-minded men who are there with him. It makes this all a bit easier.

oregonmelissa (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM

hi anyone son to be sent here in a week any info appreciated...Sue
Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Soulyrical could you get me info on the hospitality house? I have never heard of it before and would like to pass the information along to others.

I have to agree so far BS has been ok for my hubs, he has had one issue that someone else caused and it cost him two months of 'protective' custody. Meaning we had no contact with him for 9 weeks! Such junk, but he is out now and we're back to visiting every week!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrknsr View Post
I have not seen any recent posts about FCI Big Spring or the Camp. My husband has been their for about a month. I would like to connect with others that have loved ones their...
Big Spring is not so bad. My son got along pretty well there. Prison staff very professional and friendly during visitation. My son was there. Your husband needs to stay to himself, sign up for all classes needed on evaluation even though they are not available. Work diligently. Depending how long he's in for should sign up for 2nd chance or any other program that allows for halfway house and home detention right away. Get a prison consultant if can afford. If nothing else, just to answer questions and help with support and programs. JailTime Consulting has helped us. Good articles. The prison does have a special email there to sign up for. You can send money through Western Union within an hour. See FCI Big Spring Handbook for rules and visitation. Must follow rules for visitation. Have medical documents if any plates or screws. Wear only appropriate clothing or no visit. Check Internet for any articles on the place. Write him regularly. Tell him to exercise and read if he can. It has library. Go to church. He will survive this and so will you! You need to keep busy also. No parking in parking lot until 8AM but need to be there earlier to get in early. Park in line across street. Always keep extra clothes and shoes in car in case need to change when visiting if guard deem clothing inappropriate. A lot of people have to make a visit to a Walmart nearby to buy different clothes or shoes. My prayers are with you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertha66 For This Useful Post:
Lovebirds (08-15-2014)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM

Unhappy FCI Big Spring

Can someone please tell me if fci big spring is on lockdown? I haven't heard from my fiance in 4 days- I'm worried.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM

I got an email last night at around 7:30, so if they were on lock down, it must be lifted. Hope you hear from him soon.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Default Camp

How is the camp at Big Springs? My dad has a 10 year sentence and is in poor health. I read they don't have air conditioning? He can barely breathe in normal conditions. He is also diabetic. Is the medical treatment okay there? He is currently in OKC waiting transfer. He will be 500 miles from my sister and me. What can I send him by mail? Thanks for any info.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,989 Times in 13,221 Posts

The only thing you can send your Dad are letters, photos and books or magazine subscriptions. When you know which prison he is assigned to, the camp or the low security FCI, he will learn about the specific rules for sending books. It is permitted at almost every federal prison to have books sent by US Mail from publishers or booksellers like Amazon or B&N. Some prisons also allow paperback books to be sent directly by family or friends. Everything else must be purchased from the commissary.

Big Spring doesn't publish its commissary list, but it will be similar to the one from Ft. Worth
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...W_CommList.pdf

You can always deposit money to his commissary account to buy anything from the commissary.
http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/money.jsp
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Fromoktotx (02-17-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM

My inmate is incarcerated at Big Spring FCI. The medical services are terrible, the food is hardly edible, the inmates often go without power and hot water. He has asked to be transferred back to USP Leavenworth the conditions are so terrible. I know that this is not what you wanted to hear FromOKtoTX but it's the way it is. Good luck to your Dad.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 PM

Default Need info on Big Springs Flightline

Hi. My bf was just transferred to the lighting unit at big springs. He only has 3 1/2 months to go on a vop. Does anyone have an info on this place, like how to send money and how the conditions are?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,070 Times in 7,395 Posts

You'll get more information on this facility in the Texas Forum. I'll move your thread there.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

I'm sorry to move your thread again, but Big Springs is a Federal Facility, so Texans won't have much info for you. Here is a link to the FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM Forums. I have moved this thread to the Other Federal Prisons forum in hopes that you get answers. Oh, and be sure to check out the Sticky: FCI--Big Spring here. Good luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
MiniMoose (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,207 Times in 2,544 Posts

Here's a link to their web page which should be helpful.

Here's a link to the Inmate Money page that has all of the information about sending money to your LO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heav11 View Post
Hi. My bf was just transferred to the lighting unit at big springs. He only has 3 1/2 months to go on a vop. Does anyone have an info on this place, like how to send money and how the conditions are?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM

I seen the thread is old I need info on CI Big Spring...Ceder Hill to be exact...does anyone have a love one there...would love to know more info on the visitions!? Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Smile hii!!! do u still have your love one in CI Big Spring. Would love some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybum View Post
My fella is in CI Big Spring which is the private facility. I work on cruise ships, as did my fella and he tells me its a little like being on ship, its quite relaxed but its more regimented. He doesn't really talk too much about it which leaves me to think he isn't telling me all. He said its hard for him to get into a work program as he needs to be bilingual (spanish/english).

If anyone has anymore info on CI Big Spring please let me know xxx
Hi...I would like to get more info on CI Big Spring...I'm having a lot of trouble finding someone with there love one in CI Big Spring...my love one is in cedar hill unit to be exact...hope to hear from you soon....I am planning on visiting hom this Saturday...and wanted some info on the visitations rules...Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts
Default FCI Big Spring on Lockdown 8/7/13

FCI Big Spring went on lockdown this morning, according to news reports, due to a fight between two inmate groups on the yard.

Call before visiting.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50
FCI Big Spring went on lockdown this morning, according to news reports, due to a fight between two inmate groups on the yard.

Call before visiting.
Thank you so much i was worried when my son didnt call wednesday
The Following User Says Thank You to neverbthesame For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-09-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 AM

I heard visiting was to be cancelled this weekend. Has anyone heard from their LO since Wednesday?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 PM

There has been no word out since before the lock down. Haven't even received mail yet. Sending out a small note today.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmcj For This Useful Post:
oregonmelissa (08-10-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post

Call before visiting.
Do you know if they are still on lockdown. I keep calling but they do not answer.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbthesame View Post
Thank you so much i was worried when my son didnt call wednesday
Have you heard anything yet?