Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in New York should be posted here.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:04 PM

Default Parole Address Denied

My husband just found out that my address was denied by parole even though no one from parole contacted me or came to visit my apartment. There is no DV history or any obvious reason my husband couldn't live at my address. The denial didn't have a reason. I can't get in touch with parole to find out any information. Does anyone have experience with this happening?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 02:29 PM

Do you know if your husband has any strange special conditions for parole/probation that he needs to follow? It's quite possible that if he does those may have an effect on what your residence was denied.

Although, without any prior visit or contact from the PO to even review the residence, and being denied without reason that does seem unusual. I know you said you can't get in contact with parole/probation so I'm assuming you've tried to contact the office and ask for your husbands assigned PO to get in touch directly to no avail?
Old 10-02-2019, 03:40 PM

There are no special conditions that we know of. I called the Queens parole office and got his POs name and left a few messages over the past month but never got a response and then my husband heard that the address was denied. He got the denial paperwork today and there is no reason listed and he was approved to a men’s homeless shelter in Manhattan. No mention of the secondary address he provided in case my address was denied. I called Albany to try to get info and they told me to call the POs supervisor but she hasn’t returned my message. He is due to be released in less than three weeks and really doesn’t want to go to a shelter when he has a place to go. Very frustrating!
Old 10-02-2019, 04:42 PM

First thing to remember is when he appears in 24 hrs to his parole office he can discuss any address issues he has. Perhaps you have something in history? You will be able to make arrangements because they want him to have an address also. But if it was denied already, and in case you need a plan B, his PO can address them on the street.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:42 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,888 Times in 16,529 Posts

You mentioned living in an apartment...is it possible that the PO contacted the landlord / management company and they wouldn't allow him to parole there?

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-02-2019, 05:32 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,342 Times in 1,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
You mentioned living in an apartment...is it possible that the PO contacted the landlord / management company and they wouldn't allow him to parole there?
This what I wondered too.
patchouli (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 05:45 PM

I considered the landlord issue but it’s a private house with a few apartments and my landlord never mentioned anything to me. But if she did contact my landlord and he said no wouldn’t that be a reason listed? And wouldn’t they then move to approve the secondary address rather than make him go to a homeless shelter?

I have no criminal history so there shouldn’t be any reason in that respect to deny my address.

I am wondering if it’s because the PO couldn’t meet the deadline to approve to just put an address down(homeless shelter) where she wouldn’t have to visit and hoping it will get worked out by the time or shortly after he gets out, but with no denial reason and no one responding to me it’s impossible to tell.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:34 PM

When is his release date?
Old 10-02-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
When is his release date?
October 22.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jananana View Post
October 22.
Usually parole has until 2 weeks before release deadline. Hopefully it can be worked out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
jananana (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Queens Area Office is very difficult to get a hold of. It's an extremely busy office.
Typical reasons for refusal would be DV issues with you or other victims, if you were the victim of his crime, or residence is section 8 housing.

There has been a push to get addresses approved before the 2 week deadline and if the 2 week deadline is not met it goes into reports and sent to Albany. The Area Offices don't like that to happen these days. That puts the PO in a bind to get something approved. At times the PO might have a lot going on and not have the time to visit the residence. They do have some really large caseloads.

So, I agree with other responses that once he meets with the PO, it would seem that he would be able to go to your home. DOCCS has no interest in keeping someone in a shelter as they are generally not good places to do Parole.
That's may best guess.
Best of luck
The Following User Says Thank You to docwatson For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Queens Area Office is very difficult to get a hold of. It's an extremely busy office.
Typical reasons for refusal would be DV issues with you or other victims, if you were the victim of his crime, or residence is section 8 housing.

There has been a push to get addresses approved before the 2 week deadline and if the 2 week deadline is not met it goes into reports and sent to Albany. The Area Offices don't like that to happen these days. That puts the PO in a bind to get something approved. At times the PO might have a lot going on and not have the time to visit the residence. They do have some really large caseloads.

So, I agree with other responses that once he meets with the PO, it would seem that he would be able to go to your home. DOCCS has no interest in keeping someone in a shelter as they are generally not good places to do Parole.
That's may best guess.
Best of luck
I think this must be the reason - she ran out of time before the deadline to visit (I was told they had until October 1 to do the home visit) and she just approved the shelter to approve SOMETHING. There is no other reason to deny my address. I just hope it gets resolved on his first visit there so he doesn't have to spend the night in the shelter.

Thanks for all of the responses, they have eased my mind a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to jananana For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-03-2019)