Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,292 Times in 14,726 Posts
Default Tis the season.....of the ant invasion

UG.
Every year around this time, we get an ant invasion. Well it hit after the gully washer we had last week.
I still have not baited for them. I cant figure out the best spot to put the bait that the dog wont get to.
(he's so nosy...)

They are in the master bathroom, probably the hall bathroom (which I refuse to go in as son keeps it in horrible shape and I dont wanna go all psyco on him) and the kitchen. So far they are avoiding the sugar bowl, and the butter dish (its a covered one)
Little bastards! They are just annoying.
I even took down the now empty hummingbird feeder. Poor babies keep going to check it and I went to fill it and its full of ants too. I noticed after I took it down the ant population seemed to be less inside the house, but I was wrong. They are still scouting the counter and sink.

I have this product that works, but it takes a while to get rid of them. Its got borax in it. Going to have to figure out a few spots to bait and hopefully they will get the hell out of my house.

That's my dog's nose art

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM

I recently had an invasion and I got the Terro liquid ant baits that were in the little plastic containers. I had them places the animals couldn't get them and they only leaked out a tiny bit at the edge of the container anyway. My kitchen was completely infested. I noticed a difference within a few hours and by the next day they were gone and the containers were full.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:50 AM

Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,389 Posts

I'm going to spell this wrong diotomaeus earth. Spread it on the perimeter of your home. Dont breathe it in though.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,253 Times in 7,248 Posts

Lots of different versions out there, even DIY, but I use this to keep ants out of my bird feeders: https://www.amazon.com/Perky-Pet-245...ird+feeder+ant
Without it, the thing is swarming with red ants. Only thing I found that helped our sugar ant problem back home was to put out the bait stakes and every few days run a line of liquid dish soap along the places I knew they were coming in (on the outside, for example our big spot was under the bathroom and by our garage). They won't cross the sticky gel. But they will go around, hence the bait stakes.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:10 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,292 Times in 14,726 Posts

There is no telling how they are getting in. But they are here.
I did bait, with the liquid terro btw....it works but sometimes can take a long while.

I use small lids off of like yogurt containers to put it in, and they all gather around it.

They have not found this one yet. I have to keep it off the ground cause of the dog.
Same issue with the diatomaceous earth. (dont want pup breathing it in even tho it says food safe...etc)

I got up this morning and see ants all over the table. Hub brought home some goodies from the people he took to some gathering yesterday. (A group of Armenians.....hub loves to do that one cause they let him eat! lol)
He's gonna be pissed because they are all over his goodie box.
I told him. Dont leave anything out.

I cleaned out the humming bird feeders. Was tempted to leave the one on the table outside rather than hang it in the kitchen window. I figured screw it. I'd still have the ants anyway, and rather than move the feeder I'll just bait the damn ants.

Gonna have to put out a ton of the bait stations.
Hope they work fast.

That's my dog's nose art