Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,249 Times in 7,248 Posts
Default SNAP/food stamps at risk due to shut down

For those relying on SNAP benefits, you may want to tighten your belt a little more over the next month. Some states are issuing benefits early due to a fear of prolonged shut down and an absence of federal funding after February.

"[store owner] Ortman feels optimistic SNAP benefits will be fully funded, he said, and was reassured after the Trump administration announced plans to clear payments through the end of February. But he said he doesn’t have a back-up plan if the federal shutdown drags on without restored funding for food stamps.
[...]
" “You’ll have to get back to me at the end of February,” he said. Since the government shutdown took effect on Dec. 21, 95 percent of federal USDA employees were furloughed from the Food and Nutrition Service, which oversees the food stamp program. That means no one is available to process licenses for grocery stores to accept SNAP benefits if the stores were were opened or purchased after the shutdown began."

Last edited by miamac; 01-18-2019 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 10:24 PM

Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,389 Posts

I got 2 random texts about this. I dont even have it.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I got 2 random texts about this. I dont even have it.
That's weird! But I guess they're being proactive in warning people? I haven't seen anything specific about my state but a friend in CA received a letter saying SNAP benefits for March are likely not going to happen. At least people can try to stretch what they have by being given a heads up.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:52 PM

Thanked 1,461 Times in 738 Posts

The whole thing is sad. I saw a report that even schools with federal subsidized lunch programs are rationing the food so they can stretch it further. Sadly, for some of these kids, this is the only meal they get in a day. And "millionaire" Trump sits there saying "he knows what it's like"? My ass.

I flew today and I thanked every TSA worked I came into contact with and god bless them they were all so nice (actually nicer than usual as they're usually kind of obnoxious) considering they have no idea when they will get paid again. And these workers when they do get paid, should damn well get paid with interest!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-19-2019), KiwiPP (01-19-2019), miamac (01-18-2019), patchouli (01-19-2019), sidewalker (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:53 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

I guess this might be a good time to remind folks that if you're able, remember your local food bank. They'll be hit harder than ever if this happens. An extra can of soup or high protein canned good might just help your neighbor more than you know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-19-2019), patchouli (01-19-2019), sidewalker (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:09 PM

Thanked 1,461 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I guess this might be a good time to remind folks that if you're able, remember your local food bank. They'll be hit harder than ever if this happens. An extra can of soup or high protein canned good might just help your neighbor more than you know.
Good point. Our high school is starting a canned food drive in a couple weeks - I think the day my husband gets out. I probably have a lot of stuff I can bring over there.

Does anyone know the rule on expired canned goods for a food pantry? I know they're still ok to consume, but will a food pantry take anything expired? If they won't, then I will keep them, but I know I have some stuff that's expired that my kids don't like.

Another thing people don't think about bringing to a food pantry, but we did this when my daughters had their B'not Mitvahs and they had donations made for the Food pantry as their "mitzvah" project, but pantries can also use non food items such as toiletries and especially female hygiene products. So if you go out of town, grab the shampoo and soaps from the hotels and collect them to bring to the pantry, or a shelter of some sort. It all helps!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-19-2019), miamac (01-18-2019), patchouli (01-19-2019), sidewalker (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:21 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Does anyone know the rule on expired canned goods for a food pantry? I know they're still ok to consume, but will a food pantry take anything expired? If they won't, then I will keep them, but I know I have some stuff that's expired that my kids don't like.
I know our food bank here specifies that they can't accept expired goods, but sometimes kitchens through shelters or churches will because they don't follow the same regulations as the food banks.

Back home we had a mission that my dad stayed at for a while during a rough stretch in his 20's. Every year we would defrost our freezer and clean the pantry and everything would get loaded up and taken to them. They took it all, added it to the menu as soups and casseroles.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-19-2019), patchouli (01-19-2019), sidewalker (01-19-2019)