Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:34 AM

Unhappy Military enlistment eligibility?

This would appear to fit best at this forum, as it's speculation/history, not about personal experience.
What I came here this night, I saw an ad for the U. S. Army Reserve (or National Guard) on the left of my phone's screen. Since Internet advertisements...are they only targeted to the device's user? I haven't posted here for a long time, IIRC...and besides, I don't recall seeing military ads on other Internet haunts of mine - and I am 2+ decades, 60 (at least) pounds, and negative 5&1/2 toes to late:-(...But if ad buys are made on " reaches-the-right-demographic " why would they buy an ad at a board where I believe many of the people who would come here who are suitable age and intelligence and physical condition - are not eligible due to their record? But to what extent t is that true? I am wondering about how much the U.S. military does, now or at any other, I'm, " time " (sorry)...disqualifies ex-inmates from joining (and likewise for other countries). I know it has differed...
Another possible narrative I suppose the person/s who bought the ad might have come up with is that the younger persons in the life of people who post here, yps who do not have a record and are eligible, might get encouragement to try the Services from those older people after they see the ad here? But the Reserves ad seemed to be emphasizing the " You can help in your career and serve your country " angle, as if going for people a little older than recent high school grads, say...So who do the Reserve think they're reaching here, directly or in-, here that might enlist?
Even now, the U.S. Military is not ultra-consistent about what level of past legal troubles makes you ineligible to join. I distinctly remember that late in GWBush's presidency, the military announce a loosening of what degree of paper in the past put you outside service suitability - because, frankly, they needed more soldiers for this cebtury's endless Asian wars:-(! But, later on, I also heard that, the surge over, the military was rather moving to kick out enlistees who joined up under that program...If it was because they did some serious mess-up while in uniform, that's understandable, but if they performed well and the military just from-nowhere came up with an arbitrary reason to unjustifiedly discharge someone...that:s a mess-up!. Of course in decades past, before the modern demand for Proper Records At All Times, people were more able to join the service with some record...Plus, there was the archtypical " Well, son, what'll it be? Jail/ juvie or the Army? ", better or worse.
Well, this has been a pretty long post and I've written it I guess in my inimitable " rather dry " manner...on a teeny low-end phone where I've expanded the letters so much to be readable that I can only see a few lines...So, if this is perceived as needing a rewrite...
Can anybody with better computers near fill out my memory of the late-Bush relaxing of the rules and its later reversal? Any other comments brought to mind from this?
Old 12-26-2018, 04:43 AM

Anyone with a felony can't join the military at all. What do you mean how much does the military do?
Old 12-26-2018, 05:02 AM

...I guess that " do " sentence went up garbled, please excuse me.
I am quite certain of what I remember reading about the late-GWB relaxing of the no-felons rule and it's later reversal, I know I read about it then. I was never in the service myself, just to spell that out, since I did not above.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:35 AM

My husband did 17 years in the military and I had two nephews they to go enlist with felonies and they were both turned down.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:36 AM

I was an Army recruiter and I can tell you that 99% of the time felons can not enlist.

100% you cannot enlist if you are on probation, "on paper"

Age of enlistment varies but I believe it is still 35 max for the Army and less for the Marines (27 or 28).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (12-26-2018), sidewalker (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 11:02 AM

Thanked 1,355 Times in 566 Posts

I agree with above posts regarding felony convictions. That is a disqualifier now, may have been some relaxing last decade.

During the Bush 2 Presidency US deployed over 1 million troops, often over 100,000 in theater at any given time. They drew heavily from Reserves and National Guard. Military needed to recruit big numbers. They did the same as any organization needing people. They relaxed rules and added incentives.

Your recollection of Bush era presidency relaxing felony rules; I don't remember, but sounds believable and plausible. Also as you recollect, it is history now. Recruitment rules tightened given we have a fraction deployed compared to Bush years.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:01 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,543 Times in 7,530 Posts

I would imagine you’re getting the ads because they are targeting loved ones who have problems with the law, not the people who actually have trouble with the law. This makes sense, in a way, because when a spouse or significant other goes to prison, the person left outside generally takes a big financial hit, not to mention the hit caused by bond, lawyer, etc. said people may be looking for additional income.

Other thoughts include parents of juveniles pushing that 1970’s era go to the military and get straightened out sort of thinking (hint, it rarely works).

And finally, the website itself has specific forums for military legal issues, brigs, etc. it could be just as simple as targeting websites that talk about bases, military life, and military facilities.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:41 PM

...Thank you for the pointer regarding the erronious use of " on paper ", Bikerguy.
Yes, that sounds logical, Yourself, regarding the services possibly going for non-guilty family members of people in trouble - Frankly, just as was said above, I am aware that, with this century's was heavily drawing from the Guard and Reserves, pretty much anyone who joins them this century will be called up for a year or so of full-time duty in combat areas, I was thinking that before but not writing it, thinking that someone who joined would, therefore, have to put building their business career on the back burner for a considerable time, contrary to what the ad sort if suggested - But then again, I am afraid that the profession of military recruiting has a " truthfulness level " reputation (Present company excepted!) somewhat like that of used-cat dealers!
The ad dies show a man, not a woman - There are more men than women in the military, so the number of willing and qualified female partners in relations with incarcerated men would be small, but the ad shows a male Guard member (Even, not that openly same-sex romantically inclined persons are allowed to openly serve, the amount of qualified males in relationships with an incarcerated male wouldn't be that many.) - but, perhaps the ad agency felt that a male fits the most generally held profile of a Guard member for an ad on a general site, even for a potential female enlistee!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 PM

...It was " used-car dealers ", " sort of ", , " does show ", and, " now that " above --- I was on a teeny-teeny phone, prone in bed then!!!!!!!!!!!