Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the South Carolina prison system.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:59 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,313 Times in 2,339 Posts
Default Supplying cellphones to South Carolina inmates could bring a $10,000 fine,

Supplying cellphones to South Carolina inmates could bring a $10,000 fine, plus 10 years in prison

"Sneaking a cellphone to an inmate could cost you up to $10,000 and 10 years in prison under legislation advancing in the Senate.

Supporters hope the proposal, sent Tuesday to the full Senate Corrections Committee, would better deter what's already a crime. It would clear up contradictory sections in state law that allow charges for contraband cellphones to be sent to magistrate's court, where penalties aren't as stiff.

"Inmates can tell people, 'It's only a 30-day misdemeanor. What does it matter?' " Corrections Director Bryan Stirling told the Senate panel. Clarifying it's a felony "sends a clear message the state takes this seriously."

https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...ign=user-share
Sarianna (02-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 PM
AmyLynn

I hope some of these co's that are providing these phones are held at the same degree. I don't agree with the fact that SCDC prioritizes this issue over other things going on. Lets worry about cell phones and not the fact that the death toll is rising every year. Don't understand it.
Krissi11 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:32 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,313 Times in 2,339 Posts

They have been as well as volunteers who broke the law by bringing contraband into the institutions. Contraband is a problem but it's being used to mask other issues that are just as problematic. I'd rather see all of them addressed, so that overcrowding, sentencing reform, educational programs and job training become a top priority again.
Krissi11 (04-19-2018), Ms Sunny (04-16-2018)