Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the South Carolina prison system.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 PM
Krissi

Default Indefinite lockdown at all 21 SCDC institutions (4/21/2018)

Hey choclgs (and anyone else who might be able to provide some useful info )....as you mentioned, many were/still are on "modified lockdown" until this passes. Do you have any clue how long it's going to take to pass? My boyfriend is at R&E and, im sure youre familiar with the fact that while inmates are there they usually only get to make 2 phone calls a week at the most.....well, he calls tuesday mornings and thursday nights and due to being on lockdown tuesday i did not hear from him and i'm just wondering if there is a chance i will hear from him tomorrow evening.

Last edited by patchouli; 05-01-2018 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: removed quote for continuity
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,213 Times in 2,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissi11 View Post
Hey choclgs (and anyone else who might be able to provide some useful info )....as you mentioned, many were/still are on "modified lockdown" until this passes. Do you have any clue how long it's going to take to pass? My boyfriend is at R&E and, im sure youre familiar with the fact that while inmates are there they usually only get to make 2 phone calls a week at the most.....well, he calls tuesday mornings and thursday nights and due to being on lockdown tuesday i did not hear from him and i'm just wondering if there is a chance i will hear from him tomorrow evening.
More than likely he will not be able to make those calls until the lockdown is lifted. It's statewide.
Krissi11 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:39 PM
Krissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
More than likely he will not be able to make those calls until the lockdown is lifted. It's statewide.

I havenít called today but I am guessing that you have knowledge that itís not been lifted yet right?
Old 04-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
I havenít called today but I am guessing that you have knowledge that itís not been lifted yet right?
These can last a week or more.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Carolina traveler

Default Indefinite lockdown at all 21 SCDC institutions (4/21/2018)

If you do not hear from your loved ones, the modified lockdown is indefinite. It could last another week or several, as in the past.

Continue to write, as email kiosk just as phones are inaccessible.

Visitation has not been canceled but some institutions may be under restriction. Call the visitation line or the institution for details.
Fridyrr.Likn (05-01-2018), LifeTraveler (04-22-2018), maytayah (04-22-2018), patchouli (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 10:33 PM
Krissi

Default Is the whole state on lockdown?

Has anyone heard from their incarcerated loved one since last Sunday (through GTL phone calls)...my fiancť is at R&E and he can only call on Tuesday and Thursday but hasnít this week because theyíve been on lockdown since last Monday due to the Lee county incident. Just curious to know how many others across the state are on full lockdown not modified lockdown where they do let them out to shower and make a call or two once a day
Old 04-22-2018, 12:51 AM
AmyLynn

All 21 prisons are on full lockdown. No calls.
xolady (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:28 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe81 View Post
All 21 prisons are on full lockdown. No calls.
It's not "full lockdown", it's modified lockdown.

Lockdown of the 21 prisons in South Carolina takes place when all activities, including visitation and making phone calls are suspended until further notice.

Modified lockdown is when visitation is allowed.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Odin Zek

Quote:
Has anyone heard from their incarcerated loved one since last Sunday (through GTL phone calls)...my fiancť is at R&E and he can only call on Tuesday and Thursday but hasnít this week because theyíve been on lockdown since last Monday due to the Lee county incident. Just curious to know how many others across the state are on full lockdown not modified lockdown where they do let them out to shower and make a call or two once a day
Kirkland R&E is integrated with a level 3 population, All level 3 institutions are on a "security Lockdown" at time of posting this. Sleep easy, as R&E is one of the safest places any inmate can be housed. The schedule for R&E inmates & limited accessibility to GP along with Kirkland being an Honor Yard that 'cherry-pick' which inmates it wants to be housed there. Unfortunately, R&E is on constant lockdown, only 3 times per day do inmates exit their cells. Walking in a single-file line to & from the cafeteria. Showers & phone use are limited to 4 cells for 15 minutes per cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to UnFriended For This Useful Post:
Krissi11 (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 PM
Odin Zek

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
It's not "full lockdown", it's modified lockdown.

Lockdown of the 21 prisons in South Carolina takes place when all activities, including visitation and making phone calls are suspended until further notice.

Modified lockdown is when visitation is allowed.
All Level 3 institutions are on a security lockdown, unlike modified or deadlocked. General population is secured in dorm cells while inmates that work in kitchen, grounds crew, chapel & other 'jobs' are reporting to work. Inmates are being fed in-cell, restricting GP from walking freely within the institute & dorm.
Modified lockdown (disruptive schedule) only effects one or two dorms, those dorms still eat inside the cafeteria but, upon returning are immediately secured in their cell. Modified lockdown usually last 24 hours & is used when a staffing issue or scheduling conflict arises.
Disciplinary/Deadlock lockdown effects every inmate in that dorm, including inmate workers & visitation.
Regardless of the lockdown type, the warden can adjust what operations still function for that said lockdown.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UnFriended For This Useful Post:
choclgs (04-25-2018), ItsMe81 (04-22-2018), Krissi11 (04-22-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:02 AM
LET'S CHAT

Thumbs down

I just read that lock downs have been cancelled at Wateree and MacDougall prison only. All other still occur. Got a girl going crazy can't talk to her man in Lee
The Following User Says Thank You to joybubby For This Useful Post:
Krissi11 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Carolina traveler

That may be true to an extent. Those that have jobs are still allowed to move around at the warden's discretion but as a whole, the statewide lockdown has not been lifted at all 21 institutions.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:43 AM
Krissi

My fiancť is at R&E and Iíve sent him at least a letter a day sometimes 2 or 3 since he got there 3/28/18, however he hasnít gotten any of my letters since 4/14...I called down there and of course they said thereís no reason he shouldnít be getting my letters but since I can not talk to him because with them being on lockdown he can not call and heís not getting my mail but Iím getting his and heís convinced (now after almost 2 weeks without my letters being delivered to him ) that Iíve chosen to move on and not stick by him while he does his time over the next year but nothing could be further from the truth!! I thought writing him and encouraging him and reassuring him That i am sticking by him through this would help keep his spirits up but now I do not knowwhat to do seeing how 8-14 letters Iíve written over the last 2 weeks arenít being delivered to him....if anyone hAs any suggestions let me know please
Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
My fiancť is at R&E and Iíve sent him at least a letter a day sometimes 2 or 3 since he got there 3/28/18, however he hasnít gotten any of my letters since 4/14...I called down there and of course they said thereís no reason he shouldnít be getting my letters but since I can not talk to him because with them being on lockdown he can not call and heís not getting my mail but Iím getting his and heís convinced (now after almost 2 weeks without my letters being delivered to him ) that Iíve chosen to move on and not stick by him while he does his time over the next year but nothing could be further from the truth!! I thought writing him and encouraging him and reassuring him That i am sticking by him through this would help keep his spirits up but now I do not knowwhat to do seeing how 8-14 letters Iíve written over the last 2 weeks arenít being delivered to him....if anyone hAs any suggestions let me know please
Don't become discouraged. This happens all the time with the mail. Keep writing him, imagine how he'll feel the day all 14 letters are brought to him at one time

This journey is not easy for the both of you but you have to be patient in a way you haven't before, especially when lockdowns, canceled visits, transfers, and all things in between happens.
Krissi11 (04-27-2018), maytayah (05-02-2018), miamac (04-26-2018), Ms Sunny (04-26-2018), UnFriended (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Odin Zek

I understand it's difficult to surrender control, loosing access to him & dealing with SCDC as an intermediary. Since he has received your letters in the past, it doesn't seem like a prohibited content issue. (Lipstick kiss, perfume, suggestive photo, stickers or anything attached-written on the envelope)
First: check SCDC inmate system to see if he's been moved to an area that restricts incoming mail or transferred, it takes a month or more, for his old mail to be forwarded. (If it happens, staff might trash his old mail)
Second: Inmate Mail Services Shontate Morley 803-896-4354
The Following User Says Thank You to UnFriended For This Useful Post:
Krissi11 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM
Krissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFriended View Post
I understand it's difficult to surrender control, loosing access to him & dealing with SCDC as an intermediary. Since he has received your letters in the past, it doesn't seem like a prohibited content issue. (Lipstick kiss, perfume, suggestive photo, stickers or anything attached-written on the envelope)
First: check SCDC inmate system to see if he's been moved to an area that restricts incoming mail or transferred, it takes a month or more, for his old mail to be forwarded. (If it happens, staff might trash his old mail)
Second: Inmate Mail Services Shontate Morley 803-896-4354

Thanks !! Iíll try calling this afternoon I called earlier donít know who I spoke to in the mail room but they hung up on my twice ! Basically told me that they deliver mail every night and that my fiancť was lying!!!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Odin Zek

I've found, calling individual institutions with concerns mostly goes unanswered. Following chain-of-command, calling SCDC operations second usually gets resolve. The number I posted is for State-wide inmate mail services. Lastly, if it's a critical issue, having an attorney contact SCDC operations to remedy an issue seems extream but, if you mailed him a birth certificate to sign or a "power-of-attorney" document, these are not taken lightly or with delay.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 PM
AmyLynn

I just read this. According to 2 days ago....

Lockdown restrictions have been lifted at two medium-security prisons: Wateree in Rembert and MacDougall in Ridgeville. All other medium- and maximum-security prisons remain locked down until further notice as a result of the April 15 melee at Lee, according to Jeffrey Taillon, spokesman for the S.C. Department of Corrections.
UnFriended (04-26-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM
LET'S CHAT

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe81 View Post
I just read this. According to 2 days ago....

Lockdown restrictions have been lifted at two medium-security prisons: Wateree in Rembert and MacDougall in Ridgeville. All other medium- and maximum-security prisons remain locked down until further notice as a result of the April 15 melee at Lee, according to Jeffrey Taillon, spokesman for the S.C. Department of Corrections.
Yea as I said
Old 05-01-2018, 12:42 PM
AmyLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybubby View Post
Yea as I said
Didn't see it. I wonder if more will come off soon.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM

To all the families that are dealing with the situation of having someone locked up. Just remember that a letter will brighten up a day and a visit will make the time stand still with love and appreciation. So thank you yall so much for being around when the storm came.
The Following User Says Thank You to black God For This Useful Post:
ItsMe81 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:07 PM

Default Miss V. Sad lady

Do you have any idea how long that will be. Others have to suffer because of things like this and I haven't talked to my friend in a month now.

Last edited by blacklablover01; 05-22-2018 at 09:10 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 03:05 AM

Ms.sad lady,scdc is going through a major classification system overhaul for its most trouble and problem inmates. And as for as not hearing from your friend or loved one. The institutions are allowing visitation so if you wanna see how he is doing I suggest you call the institution he/she is at and they will tell you his/her visiting days and hours. And yes they are suffering for the incident that happen at Lee. But its a catch 22 because we want change so nothing like this do not happen again but in order for this to happen the rest must suffer and it doesn't seem fair. As for as when the state lockdown is over is up to Columbia which is headquarters. I hope this was helpful.... Stay strong for your love ones and friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to black God For This Useful Post:
ItsMe81 (05-25-2018)