Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Information relating to the Colorado Department of Corrections. This includes info about Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:02 PM

Default Single Issue Magazines - Maxim specifically - where to buy??

Hi,

I know Maxim magazine specifically does not allow subscriptions to prisons. So I have been ordering it monthly for my inmate at Sterling from BullDog news online. However, they recently stopped shipping to prisons. Does anyone have a resource where I can purchase single issue magazines for my inmate online- specifically Maxim? There are also a couple other art magazines he likes that are hard to find- Hi Fructose and Juxtapoz. Any ideas?

I know inmates are receiving Maxim specifically at Sterling, because he sees them around all the time. I've told him to ask how their loved ones are sending it, but thought I'd ask here too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2020, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,449 Times in 3,220 Posts

So Maxim specifically does not want their magazine to be sent to prisons in any way, shape or form and since they recently stopped individual issues too, you are asking for another way to get them sent in? To circumvent the magazine's own ban on where they are sent? Sorry. No one here can help with that.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
So Maxim specifically does not want their magazine to be sent to prisons in any way, shape or form and since they recently stopped individual issues too, you are asking for another way to get them sent in? To circumvent the magazine's own ban on where they are sent? Sorry. No one here can help with that.
Thanks for your reply. I wasn’t asking how to circumvent policy or do anything “wrong”. I didn’t realize Maxim stopped allowing single issues as well. I’ve been sending single issues for years and never had a problem- unless a certain issue didn’t pass the reading committee at the facility which happens on occasion. The weird thing is, many other inmates at this facility are still receiving new copies. So I know it can be done. We just can’t figure out how.
The Following User Says Thank You to beyandle For This Useful Post:
patchouli (09-06-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,449 Times in 3,220 Posts

I misread your post then. You meant a different company stopped sending to prisons all together, not just Maxim.

Maybe try a bookstore like Barnes and Noble? Probably have to physically go there, buy then, and have them mail them to the prison.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
I misread your post then. You meant a different company stopped sending to prisons all together, not just Maxim.

Maybe try a bookstore like Barnes and Noble? Probably have to physically go there, buy then, and have them mail them to the prison.
Thanks. Yeah, the online seller I was using was a magazine store in Washington state. It used to be "inmatemags.com" or something like that and then they closed their inmate domain and allowed folks to use their main mymagstore.com- which is still an active site but they recently stopped shipment to prisons. Maxim has a restriction on subscriptions because some prisons reject their magazines and people complain. But I don't think they have limited single issue purchases. The cool thing about this site I was ordering from, was that you just had to sign a disclosure saying if the facility rejected it, you didn't get a refund. Which I was totally fine with. But that's no longer an option.

There are a couple of other online stores that still allow shipment of magazines to prisons but they don't carry any art magazines or Maxim. I just think it's crazy that there aren't any other sites that offer the ability to ship- especially the art magazines.

I checked B&N online, but going to their actual store is a good idea- I know they carry all three of the magazines I'm looking for. They just don't have them available on their website for some reason. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by beyandle; 09-06-2020 at 08:39 AM..