Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,708 Times in 880 Posts
Question Favorite Fall Traditions?

What are your favorite Fall traditions? Halloween or Samhain, Thanksgiving, Fallfest...what do you and your family do?

We try to go camping for Thanksgiving but when that doesn't happen it's small family dinners and just being together. Making crafts and decorating is huge this time of year through to Christmas/Yule! And baking....sooo much baking! I've decided this year I will bake bread and cookies for everyone I can think of. Nothing is better than homemade from the heart edibles!

*Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice*
The Following User Says Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Thanked 1,283 Times in 843 Posts

My husband and I decorate the entire out side of our house with Halloween decorations. We always go to a corn maze haunted house and then have a bon fire after with all our friends with food. We also judge the Halloween parade participants we normally do the babies because we love them so much. It's sad that we uasnt been able to do this now going in three years. But we will be able to this year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nygirl17 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-12-2017), WeepingWillow (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

We try to go to a pumpkin patch/fall festival with the kids every year! Went this past weekend and had a blast even though it was still in the high 90s! Thought we'd never get to the end of that corn maze!
K6770 (10-14-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 11:52 AM

Thanked 3,693 Times in 1,956 Posts

Well I have had to start my own stuff since I don't have any family here and my husband is gone. But I am gearing up for the holidays buying tons of baking supplies. I bake cookies all the time but I start baking holiday stuff Zucchini Bread and Carrot Cakes. Also all sorts or pastries. I'm trying to get a friend to help as its kind of boring alone. I made a really pretty fall flower basket. All my neighbors keep asking where I bought it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Well I have had to start my own stuff since I don't have any family here and my husband is gone. But I am gearing up for the holidays buying tons of baking supplies. I bake cookies all the time but I start baking holiday stuff Zucchini Bread and Carrot Cakes. Also all sorts or pastries. I'm trying to get a friend to help as its kind of boring alone. I made a really pretty fall flower basket. All my neighbors keep asking where I bought it!!
I agree it can be kinda hard to make your traditions but I LOVE it. My family didn't have any traditions but I want my kids to grow up with them and hopefully pass them on. I too love baking but it can be kinda boring alone...and a headache with small children under foot LOL!
xolady (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
I agree it can be kinda hard to make your traditions but I LOVE it. My family didn't have any traditions but I want my kids to grow up with them and hopefully pass them on. I too love baking but it can be kinda boring alone...and a headache with small children under foot LOL!
Well before my Husband had gone back to prison we had huge holiday things going on, I just moved away after he died and have no family here I could go visit but I am finally making a bunch of friends. I don't have any kids so I really have noone under foot!! But with little ones you can include them in some stuff like cookie baking. I'd just do the dough ahead of time and let them make some stuff that's just theirs.
Fridyrr.Likn (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Baking with the kids was a LOT more fun before my son was diagnosed with diabetes and then celiac disease. But every now and then I make a point to make everything gluten free so he can help. But with a lot of baked goods gift giving....gluten just tastes better.
xolady (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Baking with the kids was a LOT more fun before my son was diagnosed with diabetes and then celiac disease. But every now and then I make a point to make everything gluten free so he can help. But with a lot of baked goods gift giving....gluten just tastes better.
Oh poor baby, I'm diabetic and its awful!!!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Oh poor baby, I'm diabetic and its awful!!!
Awe really? Are you type 1 or 2?
Old 10-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Awe really? Are you type 1 or 2?
Type 2 I am 55 and relearning a new diet and lifestyle sucks!!! It's kind of funny because I was never a sweet eater. Now I would devour a huge candy bar and eat more. I have been doing well but I think they are going to increase my meds because suddenly I am having high sugar levels which means my meds are not working right. I hate trying to follow a diet. I did real well until the last three months. I have diverticulitus and it makes the diebetic diet hard to follow. I would just eat grilled chicken, steak, pork, fish, & veggies. No carbs. But with the stomach issues sometime even trying to eat meat or veggies is just not possible. I started baking as a stress reliever!! I really don't eat what I bake my neighbors love getting the benefits. I actually am going to talk to a resturant that's close to my house, she buys her deserts some are good but my pies, cookies and turnovers are much better. Like winter I do apple cake that is almost a pudding its so moist!! My grandmother baked it. I used to bake for a crab place Key Lime Pie's. coconut custard and a few others. If I can work a deal with the lady I can do the pies, I am going to bring her samples next week. They close early sunday and are closed monday. I could do all deserts for the week in the one day. The thing is is it cheaper to buy from me, or buy commercially? I am not sure but the details are simple to work out. I don't want a full time job. I want to make a few extra bucks. I have a friend who wants to do this with me so we shall see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-14-2017), K6770 (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Favorite Fall Traditions?

My step mom's family had a very cool tradition of giving Christmas ornaments at Thanksgiving. The food was amazing, but the same food was served on Christmas and Easter so not much of a Fall tradition.

Last edited by K6770; 10-14-2017 at 04:32 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K6770 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-14-2017), xolady (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 04:31 PM

I was just reminded of picking and shelling pecans every Fall. My step grandmother's house was built among the trees of an old pecan orchard, so I can remember picking up 100s of them and helping shell them on her back patio. They went into all the pies and the congealed salads at dinner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K6770 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-14-2017), xolady (10-15-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:44 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Type 2 I am 55 and relearning a new diet and lifestyle sucks!!! It's kind of funny because I was never a sweet eater. Now I would devour a huge candy bar and eat more. I have been doing well but I think they are going to increase my meds because suddenly I am having high sugar levels which means my meds are not working right. I hate trying to follow a diet. I did real well until the last three months. I have diverticulitus and it makes the diebetic diet hard to follow. I would just eat grilled chicken, steak, pork, fish, & veggies. No carbs. But with the stomach issues sometime even trying to eat meat or veggies is just not possible. I started baking as a stress reliever!! I really don't eat what I bake my neighbors love getting the benefits. I actually am going to talk to a resturant that's close to my house, she buys her deserts some are good but my pies, cookies and turnovers are much better. Like winter I do apple cake that is almost a pudding its so moist!! My grandmother baked it. I used to bake for a crab place Key Lime Pie's. coconut custard and a few others. If I can work a deal with the lady I can do the pies, I am going to bring her samples next week. They close early sunday and are closed monday. I could do all deserts for the week in the one day. The thing is is it cheaper to buy from me, or buy commercially? I am not sure but the details are simple to work out. I don't want a full time job. I want to make a few extra bucks. I have a friend who wants to do this with me so we shall see.
I guess the only benefit of being type 1 is that he really can eat just about anything he wants because he's insulin dependent and he's getting a shot either way. When he was first diagnosed at 5 years old it was so irritating because over and over I heard "how can he be diabetic, he's not even overweight" and "did he eat too much sugar?" and "he doesn't NEED insulin if he eats right and exercises"....I know it's just a lack of understanding but when you've been in the hospital with a small child who doesn't understand why his life has been changed forever and then you have to deal with everyone's comments....it just gets old.

It's so cool that you may have the opportunity to bake for a restaurant. I would love to be able to do something like that but thankfully I have a household of kids and a hungry man who eats up anything I make LOL!
xolady (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 10:56 AM

LOL I walked to the store as weather is beautiful and my jeep is broken down but I bought stuff to bake my apple cake!! Great baking day!! I hope I can 1/2 the sugar. I not sure if baking for the restuarant is going to work out or not I'll see I can alway's do it on the side at home. They don't have much in the way of food service laws here, so it's just as easy for me to do it from home.
Fridyrr.Likn (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 PM

I too am pancreatically challenged in the Type 1 variety as I like to say. This time of year is difficult cause my ESL class has a Hallowe’en party and take us to a haunted house. But, each year, there is a party and there are a lot of candies and people say some real dumb things.

But, I go anyway. My favourite part is having the brainstorming session of Hallowe’en vocabulary. Although we are all adults....

Back home, there are fun harvest festivals that I miss and doing things like making garland out of dried fall flowers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tufahije For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-17-2017)