Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 07-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default CALIFORNIA PRISON SERIES - What is California Prison Like

This is the main directory thread that will remain "sticky" (listed at the top of the California Forum) about The California Prison System Series - "What is California Prison Like" by Ken Connor.

Exert from Part 1:

OK, guys, here is what I have promised many of you. Ever since I joined PTO, I have been asked by many people, "What is prison REALLY like." With Kennys series of his insights into the Texas prison system, I have been even more inundated with the same questions. My response to these inquiries was that I would make some post to try and answer some of these questions. It is such a long answer as you can tell by Kenny's post, that it would be impossible to answer everyone individually.

I want to make something very clear from the beginning. A prison term is a very personal & individualistic experience. You could literally have two guys serve a prison term side by side, & get two different stories about their experience. So, all I can do is tell you mine. This doesn't mean, your loved ones will be like mine. It may be in some ways, & different in others. Just because I went through an experience doesn't mean your loved one will go through the same. There are however some basic things all prisoners have to deal with.

Below are direct links to each part of the series:

PART ONE - Introduction & Rules:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=15516

PART TWO - Reception:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=15736

PART THREE - Clarification on fights, riots & stabbings & Rape:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=15740

PART FOUR - Your New Home & Job, House Rules, Phone Calls & Such
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=15739

PART FIVE - Drugs, scams, & schemes
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=15819

PART SIX - Horror stories
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=15946

PART SEVEN - (CCF's) Community Correctional Facilities
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=16017

PART EIGHT - Prison Gangs, Racism, Correctional Officers, Mail, Visits, Phone Calls, and Questions & Answers
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=16086

PART NINE - Points / Levels, 3 Strikes Law, Ad-Seg / SHU / Protective Custody
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=16547

PART TEN - Short Time, Release, Work Furloughs, etc
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=16756

Ken is no longer an active member of this community and thus will likely not be answering future questions, however what he has given all of us with these and many other enlightening posts will last the test of time and likely help many more in the future.
12 years gone (10-31-2009), Dances_w_Ghosts (12-21-2010), g.lov27white (05-21-2009), Mrs. Roduiguez (10-09-2017), Ramira34 (06-20-2011), Weeeblee (03-31-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2003, 06:49 PM

FedX, I think you should name each series so we know which ones we have read and which ones we haven't. I know I have read a bunch but I don't know which ones. They are great, by the way. smile. You should write a book for the public to read. Then again, do you think anyone really cares that doesn't have someone they know or love in prison? Of course, there are quite a few of us, right?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

JJH,
I will try and go back and give them titles. I need to re-read them to do this properly so it may take a bit.

For everyone else.. If you have someone going to a Cali prison, in prison, or just curious about the California Prison System from an inmates point of view, this is a GREAT series to read.

Fed-X
Ramira34 (06-20-2011)
Old 07-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Donation Award 

Very nicely put together David.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:12 AM
Da Ole Goat

Thanks David for gathering them all together! SUPER COOL!!
Old 08-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Account Closed

Thanks Mr. X.... It'll spare all that keyword searching for them. I know I've recommended them so many times, it's going to make it easier for all the Cali sorts to find them.

You da man. (if no one's told you lately..)
Old 09-26-2003, 12:59 AM

Question sending this story to co. jail?

Hello Ken,
I would first like to thank you for all your hard work on telling us your story. I have made hard copies of all 30 plus pages so that I can give my friend an idea of what to expect. he just took a plea of 15 to life and soon he'll be heading to wasco. I was wondering if I can send all 30 pages of your story to Co. jail so he can read it before he takes off to mainline. I know that there are jail mail rules and I am thinking that they might not want him to have that kind of info. plus I did some hi-lighting on some of the pages. don't forget the pages has banner ads on them as well, but can be easliy be cut off. I don't know how long it will take before they ship him off. He took this plea on the 23rd of this month and I sure they will get him out of there ASAP. I haven't had time to read all 30 plus pages yet so if I missed the answer to this question in your story, forgive me. I will need a reply on this question pretty fast. thanks for your time, Rex
Old 09-26-2003, 01:20 AM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,106 Times in 219 Posts

Hi, Ken has not been with us for awhile now but he is a friend of mine and I will try to speak for him if that is ok with you. Ken did put a lot of work into this project and he will really be glad if it helps someone. I don't know how many pages they will allow in the Jail, you could call there and speak to someone in the mailroom and they will be able to answer your question. When I send things into my son I copy them and put them in word then cut off all the headings and any mention of the internet. Sometimes they kind of space out on things off the net.. Love Barb

Old 09-26-2003, 12:44 PM

thank you Barb,
I sat down last night and wrote him a one page letter in small writting of all the do's and don'ts plus some things to expect. then later when he get's to mainline I might send more. he'll have to learn most the rest on his own. Rex
Old 10-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

If you want to print them out without the web site look, go to the "ARCHIVES" and find them in there. You can get into the archives by clicking on the small "Prison Talk Archive" link at the bottom of all the pages here.
Ramira34 (06-20-2011)
Old 10-19-2003, 11:47 PM

Wanted to express my thanks to Mr Conner for sharing his experiences here, I personally have never been incarcerated myself but have always been somewhat fascinated with the different society that prison is.

I just stumbled on this forum a few months back and started reading around and the amount of real info here is amazing.

I have toured a couple of facilities in the past, namely Soledad ,Corcoran and Salinas Valley , how that came about is a guy I work with's now Ex-wife is a CDC lieutenant at CTF {Soledad} In case you may be wondering what I do , I have been a California Highway Patrol Officer for the last 13 years.

Again thanks for the interesting no BS info ,its not too often you run across anyone who really wants to talk of their Prison experience ...espicially with a Police Officer, well .... truthfully anyway

Take care guys
Old 10-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

MV1F,
Welcome to PTO. Glad to have you here and enjoyed reading your post. We are primarily prisoner's families and friends but we do welcome all others that are interested and friendly. I think it is becoming really apparent that we have members here from all walks of life.. Even a Judge!
If you ever have any questions or something to add, please don't hesitate.

David (Fed-X)
Old 10-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,106 Times in 219 Posts

Welcome to PTO MV1F, hope you enjoy the forums we have to offer. Let me know if I can ever help you with anything. Love Barb

Old 11-19-2003, 01:58 PM

thanks you so much for the insight Ken.

Andrea S.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:32 AM

my friend got caught with a joint in his pocket going to work. What could happen to him? friend22
Old 01-01-2004, 01:13 AM
LairsSugarBush

Thanks 4 telling your experience with life in prison.
My guy is on his way to reception (gonna do a 3rd term),
you answered all I wanted 2 know without bugging him!
Thanx a million and God bless