Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 AM

Thanked 1,240 Times in 515 Posts
Default Criminal Justice Corruption from a Victim Perspective

Reading and being involved in this site, and directly experiencing LEO, prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges and the prison system opened my eyes. How often it is not about "justice", how it is often about politics and the corruption that creates, how the public is manipulated because of that. We're seeing exactly that play out now given politics from all sides and angles has tainted the FBI. Probably permanently in my eyes.

I know I'm preaching to the choir as many on this site have also had their eyes opened with experiences. I believe we are often "victims" of the corruption in the system. We are friends / family of incarcerated so our voices aren't sympathetic to the public.

This caught my eye. Written by the husband of a victim of the Seal Beach shooting in 2011. The case was damaged through political corruption by the Orange County Sherriff's Department under Sherriff Hutchens, the Orange County District Attorney's Office under Tony Rakauckas, now the state AG's office under Xavier Becerra. I have followed this case the last few years and feel all of them have been exposed as political hacks and not acting in the public interest with their behavior. And each one of them have damaged their departments in doing so.

Note how Mr. Wilson speaks of Public Defender Scott Sanders as being the only person in the process "who has shown himself to be far more interested in getting to the truth". Scott Sanders has done yeoman's work in exposing all this corruption; the public is still apathetic. That statement about Scott Sanders is the most amazing part of the article. I wish his story got more public exposure.

It is eloquently written. Paul Wilson shows unique courage to speak up against injustice and political corruption given his perspective as the husband of a victim of the worst mass shooting in Seal Beach history.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/06/1...as-played-out/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Francis213 (09-10-2018), qwerty (06-17-2018), Sarianna (09-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,539 Times in 10,998 Posts

Oh lordy, the poor man! Yes, this is one of the really sour spots in our criminal justice system. If you got somewhere by cheating, then you've cheated the defendant, the lawyers on both sides, the victims, the survivors - everybody.
qwerty (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 03:47 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

Orange County was also the home of the jailhouse informant scandal.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:10 PM

I've seen the system from several different angles. At one point I wore the badge and gun, and now I am in the private sector with a loved one in prison on charges that never should have gone to trial, let alone resulted in a conviction. My personal experiences and those of my LO have thoroughly illustrated how fallible the system is, and how far it has fallen from the ideals of equal justice and due process under the law.

Sadly there are countless examples of this happening. The Innocence Project has many cases where a wrongly-convicted person spent years behind bars, and the system fought to keep them there despite the possibility of evidence exonerating them. Ruby Ridge, Waco, and the Lavoy Finicum shooting, as well as many lesser-known situations point out very clearly that our government consists of people, and it is only as good as the individuals who work within it. They have their own loyalties, priorities, allegiances, and agendas, and those don't necessarily include justice or the public good.

And you are correct. We are all victims. I have lost faith in the justice system, but maybe it was my own fault for blindly believing it in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oanna For This Useful Post:
maxie'smom (09-09-2018)