Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:41 PM

Default California's state correctional officers would get their biggest raise

Well, if this ain’t a kick in the pants.

California's state correctional officers would get their biggest raise since the recession if they approve a tentative agreement for a one-year contract their union struck with Gov. Jerry Brown's administration this month.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...211594789.html
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,189 Times in 6,891 Posts

Like all things, some deserve it. Many don't. It's frustrating, but in trying to find a silver lining it might help keep the good ones a little longer.

I've had a chance to speak with a few that were personable during visits and I straight up ask them-- is this job worth the pay? Because I know all our loved ones are angels but with some of the things they have to do and be exposed to and the risk, it should be a decent paying job.

If they would weed out recruits who don't mind the lower pay for the power trip, that would be fantastic. That just messes up the whole thing for everyone. In my heart I believe the majority of inmates will respond to respect from staff. But you get a bunch of ego maniacs in there, it's on. That's the worst lead-by-example plan if there ever was one.

Last edited by miamac; 05-22-2018 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: had fatigue fingers, forgot how to spell
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (05-22-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 07:56 PM

California as a state has so many fiscal issues, I see this as just more vote pandering.
Jerry Brown has no idea what a ga!lon of milk costs...to think he has any clue about what goes on i the world makes me scratch my head.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
azlightsout (05-21-2018), miamac (05-21-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 PM

Thanked 11,057 Times in 5,990 Posts

Unions... *SHUDDER*

I remember in my early years with what was then the Texas Department of Corrections and we would get a legislative approval for a small raise, but it was always written as being contingent upon the Comptroller certifying the availability of funds. In some years, no such certification was recorded. There was also a year (1988 or 1989 IIRC) where the 'increase' actually resulted in a pay DECREASE precisely because insurance costs went up. And this was in a State that does not tax its residents to death...

I can easily see a "five percent" increase in California actually causing some to lose money.

It is not an easy task to retain staff. Simply put, the pay sucks even with the acceptance that the qualifications are basically have a pulse and be able to breathe, and concessions can be made on the breathing part...

Flip side is that California seems to have a number of problems in the maintaining of proper security that does not seem related to staff shortages. As such, this seems to reward mediocrity.

You could not pay me enough to go work security in any facility in this day and age...it is just such a changed dynamic from over 30 years ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (05-23-2018), Ms Sunny (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Thanked 1,243 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Unions... *SHUDDER*

It is not an easy task to retain staff. Simply put, the pay sucks even with the acceptance that the qualifications are basically have a pulse and be able to breathe, and concessions can be made on the breathing part...
I believe you are correct re pay in some parts of the nation. Not so much California. Starting pay is in the 70's. Anyone willing to put in a level of overtime is quite capable of making $100K plus. There is danger involved in the job however qualifications, as you imply, are not very high, and they are provided good benefits including generous retirement packages. CA prison guard pension obligations are a significant part of California's multi hundred billion dollar (some studies put it as high as $1 trillion) unfunded public pension liabilities problem.

All considered, guards do OK here. CCPOA is one of the largest law enforcement unions in North America. No doubt that is part of the reason CA guards do better than the rest of the nation...