Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:28 PM

Default Visitation in Yuma/Dakota with Minors and what to expect

I am finally getting a chance to go see my husband and bring his kids (16,16, 20). It has been 3 years since we've seen him in person so this will be an emotional visit, I'm sure. I will be getting a letter from the youngest ones' mom that I can bring them, but I'm anxious about what exactly the letter has to say. It's a 3 hour trip one-way, so it's not like we can do this on a whim. On top of that, one of the boys had a serious life-altering surgery 4 months ago and this trip will be hard on him. My biggest fear is we make this trip and get turned away on a technicality in the letter. I have their (original) birth certificates to bring as well. Any tips what should be in the letter and any thing else I need to being with me?
If anyone has any experience with getting a child in with a physical disability, that would be great as well, since I was told I had to get a letter from his doctor saying he required the use of a wheelchair or walker so he can bring that in to the prison as well. This is all new for us since his surgery.
Also, if anyone can walk me through the process of visitation for the Dakota unit, that would be great. He currently in there on the 4 yard, but as of tomorrow, he's being reclassified to a 3 yard (?), but won't be moved (he says) for another 2 weeks or so. He thinks he'll still be in Yuma, just moved over to Cheyenne, which is why we're still going to make the trip now.
I'm a nervous/anxious person by nature so anyone who can give me some knowledge of what to expect specifically at that prison would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2018, 08:42 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,613 Posts

Has everyone already applied for visitation and been approved? That's the first step.

The letter from the bio mom just needs to state that she gives permission for you to take the children (listed by name, include DOB) to visit inmate (name and ADC #). Then she needs to have the letter notarized. Here's the one I used for my daughter's grandmother to take her.
Quote:
(DATE)

Attention Visitation Officer,
I, (BIO MOM NAME) (DOB______), mother of (CHILD'S NAME) (DOB _______), give permission for (CHILD'S NAME) (RELATIONSHIP, STEP MOM, GRANDMOTHER ETC), (NAME OF PERSON TAKING CHILD) (DOB _______) to take her to visit her father, (INMATE NAME). (Inmate _______).
If you have any questions please feel free to call me at (PHONE #).

Thank you,

(NAME)

(NOTARY PUBLIC SEAL HERE)
You will need a letter from his doctor that explains the needs that need to be met. If he's wheelchair bound it needs to specifically say that. If he's able to walk through the metal detector without the wheel chair that will be helpful but it's not necessary. Obviously they can't turn him away because of a disability.

Otherwise everything should be the same. Be careful to follow the dress code very strictly and bring a change of clothes just in case they don't like what you are wearing. $40 in quarters per person. If I were you I might call ahead to let them know you are coming from a ways away and that you are bringing a child with a disability and see how they would like it handled to make the process as streamline as possible.
jordan321 (07-03-2018), Sunnielg (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:05 AM

I think this is about the same procedures as in Florida. One question I have is, do you have to do a new one each time they visit? or is there a way to word it so that it will be good for the long haul?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnielg View Post
I think this is about the same procedures as in Florida. One question I have is, do you have to do a new one each time they visit? or is there a way to word it so that it will be good for the long haul?
I can only answer for AZ. The letter from the biological parent SHOULD be good for the duration. But it's possible to have to have a new one if they are moved to a new prison depending on if that part of their file transfers.
DJE (07-06-2018), Sarianna (07-04-2018), Sunnielg (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
I can only answer for AZ. The letter from the biological parent SHOULD be good for the duration. But it's possible to have to have a new one if they are moved to a new prison depending on if that part of their file transfers.
Thank you. I have found out since I asked that in FL it has to be renewed every 6 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:38 PM

Hey DJE i sent you a message
Old 07-06-2018, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I have the letter and it's very similar to the one you posted Fridyrr.Likn. I hope it's sufficient. Do they keep the original letter on file or do I bring it with me every time? What about their birth certificates? Do they keep a copy or do I bring those every time as well? I've tried to call the visitation extension and no one ever answers. I do have a letter from the doctor as well stating that he needs either the wheelchair or his walker for daily living activities.
I looked through all the dress code stuff and that's what I'm most concerned with at the present. The boys are either wearing basketball-type elastic waist shorts that are long-almost to their knees or elastic waist joggers-we were very careful to make sure there were no zippers or anything metal. Then someone told me they may not be able to have drawstrings in the shorts/pants (but she couldn't remember) and now I can't find the posts I was reading with all the dress code info.
I just know everyone is going to be very upset if we get turned away due to something stupid like a dress code issue.
Thanks for all your help guys. I will post once we get back tomorrow, hopefully with a success story!
Old 07-06-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Hey DJE i sent you a message
Got it and replied!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJE View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I have the letter and it's very similar to the one you posted Fridyrr.Likn. I hope it's sufficient. Do they keep the original letter on file or do I bring it with me every time? What about their birth certificates? Do they keep a copy or do I bring those every time as well? I've tried to call the visitation extension and no one ever answers. I do have a letter from the doctor as well stating that he needs either the wheelchair or his walker for daily living activities.
I looked through all the dress code stuff and that's what I'm most concerned with at the present. The boys are either wearing basketball-type elastic waist shorts that are long-almost to their knees or elastic waist joggers-we were very careful to make sure there were no zippers or anything metal. Then someone told me they may not be able to have drawstrings in the shorts/pants (but she couldn't remember) and now I can't find the posts I was reading with all the dress code info.
I just know everyone is going to be very upset if we get turned away due to something stupid like a dress code issue.
Thanks for all your help guys. I will post once we get back tomorrow, hopefully with a success story!
They keep it on file, as well as the birth certs. You have to take them the first time but that's it. As a precaution I take them the first time visiting a new facility or unit. Sometimes it's needed, sometimes not.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Update: Everything went smoothly and the boys were all able to see and visit with their dad. It was so great for all of us! We were told by other visitors that Dakota is the easiest-going of all the units down there, so that was nice to hear. I anticipated he would want sodas and candy and food from the vending machine, but he didn't want anything. He just stared at all of us for about for the first hour. Probably because the boys have grown so much since he last saw them in person, and then with one of them going through so much with the medical issues.
Thanks for all your information and help. We are looking forward to planning another trip so they can see him again soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJE For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-09-2018), jordan321 (07-09-2018), Sunnielg (07-09-2018)