Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arkansas General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arkansas that do not fit into any other Arkansas subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:13 AM

Default Need help understanding the class levels in Arkansas

My husband says his a class 3 right now, I believe and will be a class 2 when he gets there.... Now I have read a little on this but don't truly understand it. He's in Arkansas crawford county jail right now, waiting to go down. Now his offenses are non-violent... I understand that counts for as the amount of time he'll do.... I thought it was 29 days on a year but apparently it's 42 days on a year but depending on your class, as I have read, you get so many days off the month for each class & for good time.... So like a class 2 is 10 or 20 days I can't remember. ... It is so confusing! He has an 8 year sentence, so I am trying to find out about the time he will be home....
I am just not getting what I am reading, its like too much info at one time, idk
I want him home!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM

Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,785 Posts

You should post this in the Arkansas forum. You will probably get more answers there.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Thanked 2,753 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4mylove View Post
My husband says his a class 3 right now, I believe and will be a class 2 when he gets there.... Now I have read a little on this but don't truly understand it. He's in Arkansas crawford county jail right now, waiting to go down. Now his offenses are non-violent... I understand that counts for as the amount of time he'll do.... I thought it was 29 days on a year but apparently it's 42 days on a year but depending on your class, as I have read, you get so many days off the month for each class & for good time.... So like a class 2 is 10 or 20 days I can't remember. ... It is so confusing! He has an 8 year sentence, so I am trying to find out about the time he will be home....
I am just not getting what I am reading, its like too much info at one time, idk
I want him home!
Thanks
I read your other post. Could it be you are confusing the days as the days he will serve vs. the days off of his sentence? Meaning it isn’t that he will serve 42 days for each year but he will get 42 days credit for that year? As someone pointed out it isn’t likely he’ll be home in 8 months on an 8 year sentence.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I read your other post. Could it be you are confusing the days as the days he will serve vs. the days off of his sentence? Meaning it isn’t that he will serve 42 days for each year but he will get 42 days credit for that year? As someone pointed out it isn’t likely he’ll be home in 8 months on an 8 year sentence.
He has done time before and did 6 months on a 6 year sentence so I am assuming that is correct
Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 AM

Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,785 Posts

Wow that would be awesome. Well I hope someone will be able to help you figure it out.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,383 Times in 1,545 Posts

OP - I moved your thread here in the Arkansas forums
Old 01-19-2018, 04:27 PM

Without knowing how his sentence is entered (statutes of conviction/consecutive vs. concurrent, etc) here is some general information. Act 876 of 1997 - Class III = 10 days good time per month, Class II = 20, Class I = 30.

Act 626 as amended of 1997 inmates awaiting transfer in a county jail to ADC after sentencing will receive good time at a class II status.

Depending on the level of the offense and how they are sentenced, Act 534 of 1994: Offense levels 1-6 serve 1/3 of sentence less good time; Offense levels 7-10 serve 1/2 of sentence less good time. Then there are all kinds of other sentencing laws for specific crimes of conviction which alter parole/transfer eligibility date.

When he arrives at ADC within a couple of weeks he will receive a time card with all the sentence calculations on it. He still has to be granted parole and even if he is a mandatory transfer classification, the Board can still defer parole until completion of mandated treatment/education programs.

Act 748 of 2011 allows for a maximum possible reduction of 360 days from time incarcerated for GED, Vo-Tech, SATP/TC or Pre-Release programs completion.

If he earns maximum good time and is awaiting transfer or otherwise at Class II for 5 months and then is at Class III, I calculate it to be 22 months before he is transfer eligible for parole.

Then the Emergency Powers Act (Act 418 of 1987) for early release of up to 90 days may be a factor. Normally happens twice per year. It has happened for the last 20 years.

I know its confusing. Hope this helps.

Here's a link that helps explain it: https://apps.ark.org/inmate_info/time_explanation.html

Assuming he is at Class II for 5 month (awaiting transfer/pending Class III) and then earns at Class I for remainder of sentence, I calculate him to be transfer eligible in 22 months (approximate). I'm not an expert at AR sentence calculations, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express

Last edited by AR PCS; 01-19-2018 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Update
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
Here4mylove (01-19-2018), Sarianna (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:01 AM

It should be Class I not III on the sentence where I attempt to calculate the good time based on what little I know about his sentencing.
The Following User Says Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
Here4mylove (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR PCS View Post
It should be Class I not III on the sentence where I attempt to calculate the good time based on what little I know about his sentencing.
He has back child support that the state picked up, $400 withdrawal from a credit card and a class D drug charge
Old 01-20-2018, 01:20 PM

Do you have his actual Sentencing Order? It will give the statute numbers and subsections for his convictions. It may be available on Court Connect. The credit card could have been charged under several different statutes and the child support will be based upon the amount as to which subsection applies. You can PM me the information if you like, but statute numbers of convictions will help in the calculations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
Here4mylove (01-20-2018), Sarianna (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR PCS View Post
Do you have his actual Sentencing Order? It will give the statute numbers and subsections for his convictions. It may be available on Court Connect. The credit card could have been charged under several different statutes and the child support will be based upon the amount as to which subsection applies. You can PM me the information if you like, but statute numbers of convictions will help in the calculations.
I will see if I can it them
Old 10-08-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4mylove View Post
He has done time before and did 6 months on a 6 year sentence so I am assuming that is correct
Unless he was charged as an habitual offender. Then hed be required to complete more of his sentence. At least for my son he did.