Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:30 PM

Default Covid-19 And States Re-opening ... what does this Mean for Visitation?

As States begin to re-open, what does this mean for visitations? I have been trying to keep an eye on it, and I want to see my fiancée but only when it's safe to do so. We haven't seen each other since February and by now would have had 5 visits. The facility he is at does not have video visits and have now limited the amount of calls per day to two and you have to sign up for your time slot. And some days he's only able to get one call a day. Because of the extreme limitation of contact now he's been going through such a state of depression 💔 I understand that when we do see each other again masks will have to be worn. A friend of mine is in Lincoln, IL and says that his is shut down until 2021 but they at least have video visits.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2020, 07:01 AM

Hello, the prison where I work at is no where near allowing visitation. We are still locked down and taking it day by day. We are also still getting new cases, but we are lucky that we are not hard hit like some prisons.

In my professional opinion do not look to see exactly what your state is doing. But look at reported cases in your area and in your prisons and also their current lockdown status. Things will move slowly, much more slowly than it would on the outside. The last thing we want is to have a prison free and clear with no new cases to suddenly have one come in through the visiting room.

As for some places saying no visiting till 2021, I think that is done as an over precaution. It's better to put a date that far out then pull it back than to put a date say 90 days in the future then keep extending it farther and farther out, pissing people off. People already accept the 2021 date and will be happy if suddenly it changes to September 1st.

Also my advice is to wait at least a week or two after visiting is open, It is going to crowded, very crowded and you might be disappointed with a short visit or being denied entry due to over crowding.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-10-2020), jbwifey89 (05-14-2020), mauri23 (05-10-2020), maytayah (05-10-2020), Ms Sunny (05-10-2020), onedayatatime13 (05-10-2020), safran (05-10-2020), sass4221 (05-10-2020), sidewalker (05-11-2020), trauma4us (05-12-2020), WaitingWilkes (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 07:50 AM

Means nothing. They aren't opening visiting at all for a while.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:31 AM

Thanked 1,127 Times in 639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker71 View Post
Means nothing. They aren't opening visiting at all for a while.

Your next visit might be when she hits the gate. No idea when mine will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post
Your next visit might be when she hits the gate. No idea when mine will be.
yeah I am about 99.9999999999999999% of that!!!

Possible the second wave hits us really hard and things get weird. I know another federal get compromised. meaning 70% infected. The state doesn't seem to think there is a relationship since its federal hahahh well virus doesn't care so they will wait to see if a state facility goes down. Don't think they will admit it if it does happen though. I really think the state is shady.

I think in a week we will find out alot of data. This would put the protests and relaxed culture in striking distance of infection maturity. Who knows what changes can happen if there is a sudden uptick in infections.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,246 Times in 2,172 Posts

My guy and I just talked about that today... we don’t expect visits to resume any time soon. There is a second wave expected and you all should brace yourself. This is nothing to screw around with.

I just read something today: first we thought it was a virus, then it became a pandemic and now it is a global IQ-test...

Don’t be stupid about the virus, wear you flipping mask.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:27 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,279 Times in 7,745 Posts

Even if it were safe and your state opened completely, what is key is the rate of infection both in the prison and in the surrounding community. They will not open while there is infection in the prison, staff, or CO population. Since prisons are a hotbed of virus spread, do not expect anything to happen anytime soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (05-11-2020), safran (05-11-2020), sidewalker (05-15-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 06:32 AM

Thanked 1,188 Times in 539 Posts

I'm in IL - one of the states that remains in lockdown. While I live in a rural area where the nCovid 19 case numbers hasn't been very high, our state's prisons are all over the entire state. My son's prison hasn't had any reported cases. However, once visitation is opened again, everyone from the Chicago area (which has been hit the hardest in IL) will flock downstate to the prisons. My son is very healthy but he would be a sitting duck (as are all prisoners) if it started in his prison.

Stateville, one of our max prisons in Joliet, IL (near Chicago) has had at least 12 deaths related to nCovid-19.

Its a horrendous situation for our loved ones but I don't want the prisons reopened until the risk is much lower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (05-12-2020), yourself (05-12-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 02:51 PM

I understand the seriousness of the virus. I do want wish to expose any of the inmates, especially my Love, to the virus, especially since his area has had such very low numbers (his prison hasn't been affected at all! Thank God!) We have been very fortunate for the safety of him and the others in there with him. We talked about this last night as Wisconsin's Safer-at-home order has been lifted. ��*♀️ As I stated I will only go when it is safe to do so. My question was what does this mean. I thank those who answered though. What do you think the protocol will be? I was telling my fiancée last night I wonder if they will do like the do the phones, where you have to sign up for visits, to keep safe distancing. Wear your masks. Things like that to protect everyone. I also told him even though Wisconsin lifted the order I was sure it will still be some time before we have our visit. I don't see anything happening for a while.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:00 PM

In NYS they extended it until June 1 they wait one day until the pause expires there havent been any new cases in NYS prisons they just keep extending it the cos dont want visits to begin with so they are loving it its bad enough we haven't seen our loved ones for months crazy
Old 05-14-2020, 04:15 PM

Thanked 1,122 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermarshall11 View Post
In NYS they extended it until June 1 they wait one day until the pause expires there havent been any new cases in NYS prisons they just keep extending it the cos dont want visits to begin with so they are loving it its bad enough we haven't seen our loved ones for months crazy
You are totally incorrect. There are new cases daily, inmates and staff. The recovery rate is very good, but that in no way negates the seriousness of the situation.
And why would you think COs don’t want visits? First they do not make rules, second, a happy population, having visits and normality is a quiet prison.
Please stop making untrue statements. The Governor makes the rules.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (05-14-2020), sidewalker (05-15-2020), trauma4us (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 06:53 PM

Thanked 4,162 Times in 1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermarshall11 View Post
This is completely wrong. They are only testing ppl with 103+ fever. There are 1000s in quarantine currently. 7 prisons are considered hot spots. There are rallies and protests going on for clemency right now because there are almost 10k at risk of dying. They are not being tested. They are being putting in quarantine dorms or using SHU to house those who are sick or possibly sick. There are doctors on premises 2x a week unless it is an RMC. The state is short 370 nurses to care for those who are sick.

My brother is in the worst place possible Fishkill. Research before you speak untruths. My brother's and fiance's lives are more important than a visit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-15-2020), sidewalker (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 08:25 PM

Thanked 1,188 Times in 539 Posts

As to how visiting will look. Well, as an NP on the front lines, I would expect:

1 - visitors having their temps taken upon entry to the prison
2 - masks will be used by all visitors and prisoners
3 - no hugs/kisses allowed at beginning and end of visits
4 - no children on prisoner's laps.
5 - hand sanitizer readily available as well as bleach to wash the tables in between visits.
6 - spaced out tables so less visitors, perhaps shortened visits
Old 05-14-2020, 08:32 PM

Thanked 4,162 Times in 1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma4us View Post
As to how visiting will look. Well, as an NP on the front lines, I would expect:

1 - visitors having their temps taken upon entry to the prison
2 - masks will be used by all visitors and prisoners
3 - no hugs/kisses allowed at beginning and end of visits
4 - no children on prisoner's laps.
5 - hand sanitizer readily available as well as bleach to wash the tables in between visits.
6 - spaced out tables so less visitors, perhaps shortened visits
Sounds about right. We have 2 day visits on weekends and they might start to alternate which sucks because it is 7 hours away. i didn't mind the drive when I got 2 full days in. We have been discussing the probability of no kisses or hugs. It sucks all around.
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
trauma4us (05-15-2020)