Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Chuckawalla Valley State Prison (CVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chuckawalla Valley State Prison (CVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Chuckawalla Valley State Prison located west of Blythe, California on I-10.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Visiting CVSP for the FIRST time this weekend...

I am driving to Blythe from Sacramento this Friday to visit my boyfriend for the 1st time...I have read a couple posts about the visiting and have some questions. I don't want anything to get screwed up. It's like an 8 hour drive and I can only afford to go once!

Please help if you can
  • Do I have to call for an appointment?
  • How early should I arrive? (I read a post about sleeping in the car...)
  • What hours do the visits run?
  • Any special restrictions in regards to clothing ect...
Anything else I might need to know about visiting Chuckawalla would be cool
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2006, 06:28 PM

Hello kitty,
answer to your questions
  • do you need to call for appt- (not sure about this question, I do not go to chuckys house) im assuming, just assuming here they only time for an appointment is for the hole (ad-seg) or when they are getting classified... (thats when they get there)
  • how early do you get there- its up to you.. you want to sleep in the car, sleep in the car. you dont want to then dont. I know chuckys dont hand out numbers until your in front of there prison.
  • visiting starting- 8:30-2:30-3:00 not sure which but its only a half hour difference.
  • special restrictions on clothing- there is a webpage for chuckys or on pto right above this thread some where that will explain all the appropriate clothing etc...

hope this helps some... Mocksie

Please help if you can
  • Do I have to call for an appointment?
  • How early should I arrive? (I read a post about sleeping in the car...)
  • What hours do the visits run?
  • Any special restrictions in regards to clothing ect...
Anything else I might need to know about visiting Chuckawalla would be cool[/quote]
Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Donation Award 

Here is the guide to ISP/CVSP
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177064

***My Husband is home and I am loving almost every second of it!!!***
Old 09-26-2006, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the help! I know every location is different. At DVI they won't allow any shades of blue, green, or orange. I wore black capri's with a white stripe down the leg and had problems. I have read the guides posted here on prisontalk, but I know there are always other rules once you get to the prison.

Thanks Again
Old 09-27-2006, 02:22 PM

Hi Kitten,
My hubbie is at Chuckie's house. Are you driving down Friday night or Saturday morning? The line outside the prison (it's for both ISP & Chuckawalla) starts pretty early...some sleep in the car but most get there around 6:00 am to 7:00 am. They open the gates at 8:00 am. They will look in your trunk and then ask which prison you are going to. You follow the road to the first visiting parking lot, park, get in line with the others. Fill out a form while waiting in line to get your number. Once at the front of the line, they take your slip, give you a number, have you sign a log, and then you wait in line til they call your number. When they do, they check your stuff and what you have on. They are pretty ok about stuff but I would avoid white shirts and any type of blue. It is pretty warm, so they do allow sleeveless tops but having a little sleeve is better. They also allow "flip flops" for the time being, but that is always subject to change. Once they ok you, you walk thru a metal detector and into the visiting room (depending on what yard he is in). All of this is for contact visits. I do not know about non contact as I have not done that there. If he is in F yard, there is a shuttle that will take you to that visiting room. Just ask, and let others know it is your first time...most there are pretty helpful, even the CO's .

If you can possibly do it, I would recommend driving into Blythe Friday night, staying at a motel, and then get up early to drive the 20 minutes back to the prison for your visit. I only visit once a month and when I go I leave my house early Saturday am and get to Chuckies by 7:30-8:00 am. I wait in line, visit, then drive to Blythe overnite. I come back Sunday am early (6:30 to 7:00 am) and wait in the line of cars. Visits usually end around 2:30-2:45pm.

Hope this helps...if you have any other questions, feel free to ask, even PM me if you like Hope you have a GREAT visit!
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord...Plans to give you hope and a future."
HE'S HOME...Trusting that God will direct my path
Old 10-07-2006, 10:51 PM

Hi,
Your message is pretty much detailed. I'll be visiting soon because my hubby just got transferred. You said that they look in your trunk? What for? Will you denied a visit? No other place I have visited him at has done this.
So how does it take once you get in line for a number? Would you know the busiest weekends are? Some say the first weekend of the month?
What are the visting rooms like? AC? Tables? Chairs? What kind of food in machines? If you have any anwers please let me know. Thanks
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg's_angel
Hi,
Your message is pretty much detailed. I'll be visiting soon because my hubby just got transferred. You said that they look in your trunk? What for? Will you denied a visit? No other place I have visited him at has done this.
So how does it take once you get in line for a number? Would you know the busiest weekends are? Some say the first weekend of the month?
What are the visting rooms like? AC? Tables? Chairs? What kind of food in machines? If you have any anwers please let me know. Thanks
Hi angel-welcome to CVSP As for your questions...I will answer best I can...

Not sure why they look in the trunk, I guess for drugs, weapons, contraband, etc...I never have anything in there except my suitcase cuz I use a rental car when I go. Not sure what would happen if they "found something"

You don't get a number until after you are inside the building and have turned in the little form you sign, so the length of time in line varies on how many are in front of you. The wait happens before you get the number, and then a bit more after you get it. I am not sure about the best weekends to go...I only go once a month. I usually go around the middle of the month. I know holidays are the worst! My first visit was Fathers day weekend-ugh!

Not sure which yard you are visiting but I can tell you aboiut C/D and F. C/D are combined in the same visiting room. There are tables in all rooms. Most are low to the ground in C/D and in F they are just normal because it is a much smaller room. C/D has a patio that is covered and you can go outside. We have sat there a couple of times as the weather has cooled down. Food is typical vending food-no salads or stuff like that (they had those in Chino before). Mostly chicken wings, burritos, pizza, sandwiches, etc. Bring quarters cuz the machines sometimes don't like the dollar bills.

Hope this helps...let me know if you need anything else

Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord...Plans to give you hope and a future."
Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Banned

HI Kings, how your doing..
Cgs, they look in the trunk for anything that could be a weapon. Screwdriver, tire iron,. I have heard of someones visit being termintaed because they had an electric saw. Just don;t have anything like that.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 AM

Kitten505, Goood Morning, I Was ReadIng Your Post That You Were Driving To Bylthe This Weekend And Wanted To Know If You Were Looking For A Road Buddy ( Praying That They Get Regular Visits This Weekend) To Help With Gas And So Forth. I Live In Fairfield, So Im Not That Far From You. The Only Issue Is That My Boyfriend Is At Ironwood. I Looked On The Map And It Said That It's Not Even A Mile Away. This Is My First Time Visiting , Does Anyone Know If This Would Be Impossible Because We Are Trying To Go To Different Facilitys. OR WOULD I NEED MY OWN CAR TO WAIT OUTSIDE IN THE MORNING. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcjmc1
HI Kings, how your doing..
hey there...have been better, I posted on the need a hug thread. How about you? Long time no talk to
Old 11-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

Sorry thngs are crazy. Ill go read it. Been working and started school going nuts. Mom back at work as of today. Trying to go to Chuckawalla next month. Just called MCI and got the block removed that they placed. Thought i was going to have to prepay but nope they set the account up.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:28 PM

Good to hear about your mom. I am not going back for visits. I am only driving up one more time when he is released (maybe-depending on if he straightens up or not). If not, guess he will be riding the bus back, eh?