Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Prisoner Addiction Resources
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prisoner Addiction Resources Prison and prison release specific topics and resources regarding addiction.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Are the rehab programs in prison any good?

Does anyone know if the programs in prison like the rehabs are any good at all? My boyfriend was looking into getting into a drug rehab in prison but everyone tells him they will send him where they have a bed open and not necessarily where they have a rehab and that the rehabs are no good in prison. Does anyone know anything about them or any advice I can give my boyfriend about getting into a rehab in one of Indiana's doc. He hasn't been transferred yet, He is in a doc holding jail right now. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,956 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroberts View Post
Does anyone know if the programs in prison like the rehabs are any good at all? My boyfriend was looking into getting into a drug rehab in prison but everyone tells him they will send him where they have a bed open and not necessarily where they have a rehab and that the rehabs are no good in prison. Does anyone know anything about them or any advice I can give my boyfriend about getting into a rehab in one of Indiana's doc. He hasn't been transferred yet, He is in a doc holding jail right now. Thanks.
Any established, certified rehabilitation program is only as good as the motivation of the participants. In the recovery community what matters isn't the program, since virtually all of them use the same recovery curriculum and materials (there are really only two or three available) - what matters is whether or not he's ready to get clean... really ready.

Among addicts it's common to say stuff like, "I went to a bad program... that's why I wasn't successful..." Instead of recognizing that they weren't successful because they weren't ready or really motivated for change.

I've worked in the recovery community since 1982 - and seen highly motivated people completely milk every drop of information and recovery tools from a mediocre program, and less motivated folks space off really top rated programs. It's not about the program - it's all about the participant. He just has to ask the question "Am I really ready to make this change?"

And, recovery is hard, hard work...if it were easy, everyone would be successful and frankly the statistics aren't great.
billysbutton (12-22-2011), jextrane (12-20-2013), LifeTraveler (08-01-2011), lisainengland (08-01-2011), Olympia (08-01-2011), pastry520 (03-07-2012), Wendy1918 (01-06-2014)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Default Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Any established, certified rehabilitation program is only as good as the motivation of the participants. In the recovery community what matters isn't the program, since virtually all of them use the same recovery curriculum and materials (there are really only two or three available) - what matters is whether or not he's ready to get clean... really ready.

Among addicts it's common to say stuff like, "I went to a bad program... that's why I wasn't successful..." Instead of recognizing that they weren't successful because they weren't ready or really motivated for change.

I've worked in the recovery community since 1982 - and seen highly motivated people completely milk every drop of information and recovery tools from a mediocre program, and less motivated folks space off really top rated programs. It's not about the program - it's all about the participant. He just has to ask the question "Am I really ready to make this change?"

And, recovery is hard, hard work...if it were easy, everyone would be successful and frankly the statistics aren't great.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!
The Following User Says Thank You to goldenmom For This Useful Post:
Wendy1918 (01-06-2014)
Old 12-21-2011, 09:28 PM

This is a question I've been trying to get answered. My husband insists that the rehab programs in prison are not good and he is actually actively trying to get placed somewhere that they don't offer a rehab program because of the other programs that they do offer there. Now his addiction is bad - it is why he is now going to be in prison for the next 6 years. He just entered the reception center and is currently being processed. He almost died this year from an overdose of the prescription medication. I am afraid that if he doesn't get some kind of help while he is in there that he will come home and we will end up right back where we are now. In fact that terrifies me. It seems like he goes from wanting to get helping to saying he doesn't need it to saying the programs aren't good. He checked himself into a rehab earlier this year but was arrested in there for failing a drug test 2 months earlier in a pre-trial release issue. Then they put him in a part of the jail where they didn't have the drug rehab program and he spent the first two months trying everything he could to get moved to where the rehab program was available...and now it seems like he's just given up again. And it terrifies me. So I should NOT believe it when he says the prison rehab program is not helpful? Not sure where he gets his information from anyway considering he's never been in prison before to know that.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereforhim View Post
And it terrifies me. So I should NOT believe it when he says the prison rehab program is not helpful? Not sure where he gets his information from anyway considering he's never been in prison before to know that.
It's not a question of believing him or not believing him. He may believe it. The reality is that whether he gets anything out of a prison drug program (or any other program) depends on him.

What I wrote previously in this thread;
"Any established, certified rehabilitation program is only as good as the motivation of the participants. In the recovery community what matters isn't the program, since virtually all of them use the same recovery curriculum and materials (there are really only two or three available) - what matters is whether or not he's ready to get clean... really ready.

Among addicts it's common to say stuff like, "I went to a bad program... that's why I wasn't successful..." Instead of recognizing that they weren't successful because they weren't ready or really motivated for change"
He needs to be where there is a rehab program. It is the addict in him you hear speaking, which, as we all know, is a terribly liar. Don't listen or buy into it. It's the ONLY way to break the cycle.
hereforhim (12-22-2011), lisainengland (12-22-2011), nimuay (12-20-2013)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Thank you for responding. He says the ones in prison aren't any good because it is set up to get each other to snitch on one another for one reason or another - basically creating an atmosphere of mistrust that prevents getting anything out of the program. Again - I do not know where he is getting his information. I'm learning more and more that the system really isn't set up to help or rehabilitate people - and that is just from this year long battle we fought to clear his name to no avail.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Thank you for responding. He says the ones in prison aren't any good because it is set up to get each other to snitch on one another for one reason or another
If you're not doing anything wrong, and following the rules of the program, there's nothing to be snitched on about.

if you're not, you're jeopardizing the ability of others to get anything out of the program and get clean and sober... you deserve to suffer the consequences.

The addicting, lying voice likes to say, "Don't rat me out." which translates into "Don't call me on my behavior so I can keep doing what I'm doing without dealing with the consequences." When we love people, really love them, we want them to get well - even if it's really uncomfortable for them to achieve that. In the medical model, surgery sucks, but sometimes it's just plain necessary.

Quote:
I'm learning more and more that the system really isn't set up to help or rehabilitate people...
Nothing outside of ourselves, for prison inmates, or anyone else, is going to change us if we don't want to change. Some people say prison saved their life. Others that prison was their worst experience ever. What's the reality? The reality is that prison is neither good nor bad, it's not set up for any purpose other than to give people who screw up a time out to reflect on their behavior and protect the public. Whether people view it as a punishment, or a rehabilitative effort is entirely up to the individual. Either paradigm is available to everyone.

If your husband wants to get clean/sober - and stay that way, he needs to take every single opportunity to do it. To develop and build the skills, insight and resiliency necessary for sobriety. If he doesn't and, (in my professional opinion), at this point it sounds like he doesn't, nothing is going to help. Either he's ready or he isn't.

And, for the record, virtually EVERY inpatient program everywhere, anywhere, requires that the participants hold each other accountable for their behavior. The prison programs are no different.
hereforhim (12-23-2011), nimuay (12-20-2013), Wendy1918 (01-06-2014)
Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,563 Times in 11,010 Posts

Scott was right - if you go into rehab you need the right attitude or it's never going to work. That says nothing about the quality of the program.

The guy I was dating told me that he 'couldn't' go to AA meetings because he suffered from "ecstatic recall" (he was gleefully remembering his highs, not dealing with his lows). Bull puckey! He didn't want to stop drinking, it was that simple. And that's what your guy is telling you - I don't want to stop.
hereforhim (12-23-2011), LifeTraveler (12-22-2011)
Old 12-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you for responding. He says the ones in prison aren't any good because it is set up to get each other to snitch on one another for one reason or another - basically creating an atmosphere of mistrust that prevents getting anything out of the program. Again - I do not know where he is getting his information. I'm learning more and more that the system really isn't set up to help or rehabilitate people - and that is just from this year long battle we fought to clear his name to no avail.
My son recently sentenced to SAFP in Texas says the same. Set up for snitches..
Old 12-20-2013, 04:34 PM

My man is currently in one in Florida and has done WONDERS for him, but as Scott has said it is up to the person whether they get anything from ANY program. It is NOT set up to get them to snitch on each other, that is an excuse

The Following User Says Thank You to nateschic For This Useful Post:
Wendy1918 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Account Closed

My fiance needs treatment for his alcohol addiction and can not even get into a program until he is on his last two years of his sentence, makes no sense when they do not even know how long he will serve, he was given an 8 year sentence but 4 of it is mandatory so really he could get out when his 4 years are up. From what I hear the programs in the prison are not that great because most of the inmates do not take is seriously enough to get anything out of it. just what I hear.

Denise
Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,287 Times in 607 Posts

As the mother of an addict who has been in and out of jail, and many rehab programs ( he is sober at least for now) I 100 percent agree with Scott. Lying is a big part of addiction and if your not able to be honest then you probably are not ready for recovery. Also like Scott said, if you do what your supposed to do you wont have to worry about being snitched on.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Donation Award 

You are correct that prison's are not very motivated to provide any rehabilitation or drug treatment. In many states less than 1% of the prison budget is spent on treatment.

I wish you and your loved one serenity and recovery. I believe that educating yourself about addiction and the "best practices" in treating your loved one's addiction (different treatments for different substances) will help you evaluate these issues you're dealing with more effectively.

Best book I've read on Addiction is: "When the Servant becomes the Master" by Dr. Jason Powers (available on Amazon.com) This book explains addiction in a very comprehensive yet simple way. It covers in depth the variety of treatment protocols that are available, including medical treatment that is often left out of the discussion. And much much more.

Website about Addiction Treatment in the Criminal Justice System:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/related-top...ice-drug-abuse

A summary of the 13 critical Principles of Effective Treatment

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...tive-treatment

NIDA Details Effective Prison Treatment

https://www.drugfree.org/join-togeth...fective-prison

I don't know anything about the state your loved on is in, but in many prison systems treatment of ANY kind is not provided until the last 6-12 months of the individual's sentence, and very very few individuals get ANY treatment prior to release. In our state it's around 350-500 people per year in a prison population of 14,000+.

I have heard about the drama that goes on in some prison treatment programs. But I sincerely doubt with a 6 year sentence ahead of him that he needs to concern himself with this issue.

Suggest you review this site about the importance of Evidence Based Approaches to Treatment. The vast majority of prison treatment programs offer only Behavioral Therapies, which are detailed here:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...tion-treatment

Note that some of these therapies are "intended to supplement or enhance existing treatment programs, and others are fairly comprehensive in and of themselves." That is why comprehensive evaluation of the individual being treated and preparation of an individualized treatment plan by a skilled professional is so important.

There are some promising new medical treatments for opiate/opiod addicts that are often not even mentioned by treatment providers who are not licensed to provide medical treatments.

Unfortunately you and your loved one are not in a position to actually choose a treatment provider or a treatment method/protocol, as prison programs are typically "one-size fits all".

~First we crush people to the earth, then claim the right of trampling on them forever, because they are prostrate.~
Lydia Maria Francis Child

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karamella For This Useful Post:
2muchmisery4me (01-12-2014), SheriBaby (04-15-2015)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,563 Times in 11,010 Posts

One basic thing to keep in mind - when Dr. Bill was trying to fight his addiction, there were no programs, no drugs, nothing else. He created AA by finding others who had the same problem and the same will to quit. It worked.

There have been adjustments, some improvements, but fundamentally, there are AA meetings in most prisons that I know of, and if there's a true interest among just a few people, a Big Book and some other supportive literature, many prisoners can and have in the past managed to create meetings and get themselves sober.

It's nice to drop in and pay a fortune to a rehab, but that's not a requirement for sobriety. The true interest is.
2muchmisery4me (01-12-2014), bumblebee37 (01-07-2014), LifeTraveler (01-08-2014)