Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Alabama Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Default New changes to visitation including fingerprinting

Hello everyone!

I was reviewing some of the threads for the different prisons within ADOC...and OMG!!! I knew about the changes with the fingerprinting (which I hope is not a major pain in itself), but strip searching of guests and immediate family only??? WTF...I was wondering if anyone knew how true all of this was. I hope not at all because I am not a wife yet. I would hate to have to stop visiting my fiance when our visits just started. Any news you could give me would be excellent.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 PM
♪ ♥ ♪ ♥
Donation Award 

Default Visitors to Alabama prisons will have fingerprints scanned

Starting this weekend, relatives and others who visit inmates in Alabama prisons will have their fingerprints scanned so they can be accurately identified and checked in more quickly in the future, officials with the state prison system said.

Prison officials said the new system will improve security by making sure visitors are who they claim to be. Now, visitors must give their names and identification cards, but it's "easy to look like someone on a driver's license," said Kim Thomas, commissioner of the Department of Corrections.

Full Story: http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/08/..._river_default
Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 AM
JR's Cupcake

Default Finger Prints

Did anyone experience the new fingerprinting at visitation Saturday?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 PM

I went to visit my fiance today. We didn't have a morning visit though. To my understanding the morning visit actually started at 6:30 but I'm not sure what time it ended. I didn't arrive until around 11 and all the morning visitors appeared to have left already. Afternoon visitors can arrive at 9:30 to get a number and then return for the 12:00 visit. People that got there that early were able to go ahead and get their fingerprints done to help and speed up the process. Everything else was still as normal but since I arrived in enough time to get a descent # my process didn't take very long. I did notice that visitors were still coming thru as late as 2:00. Visit was over a little after 3 so that was just crazy. They said the system had went down I believe. Hope this helps you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JuJu1971 For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 PM

JuJu1971 which prison do you visit? My baby is at St. Clair and they only have the one visit from 8-1. I got there (because of an accident on the main road) at around 8:30 and they had not let anyone in yet. They only let 4 people in at a time to do the fingerprinting. By the time I had gotten into the visitation room it was a little past 11.....and I was the 8th car in line with like 25-30 cars behind me. They only extended visitation to 1:30. I felt this was extremely unfair for the people that were at the very end of the line. I understand what they are trying to do, but I feel that more planning should have gone into this. Many of the inmates were furious because their visits were cut extremely short. I was so glad that my baby did not go off because he has a short fuse for stuff like this. He said everyone was calling their loved ones to find out what was going on and why everything was taking so long. He called me four times while I was in front of the prison (hehehe) trying to figure out whether I was still going to come inside.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 PM

My sister and I are finally going to get to visit my son at Bullock this coming Sunday. Did anyone go this past weekend since the new fingerprint rules were implemented? How early should we get there?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM

josie231....try to get there early enough to be the first person there. I was late due to an accident on the main road and did not know how to go around it. I got there around 830 and was the eighth car in line for visits. They did not start fingerprinting on time. They were only allowing 4 people in at a time. I did not get into the visiting room until a little after 11. I was super pissed by the whole process. Everyone was! But seeking my baby made it all worth it in the end. Good luck!!! I hope you get as much time as possible with your LO...my visit went from being 5 hours to 2 1/2 (they extended visits to 1:30 instead of 1.
The Following User Says Thank You to BB Gupton For This Useful Post:
josie231 (08-07-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 PM

I visit at Draper
Old 08-19-2012, 03:01 PM

The fingerprinting thing is a total MESS! My man is at St. Clair and it seems like nobody there even knows how to use a computer! They have a list of instructions on how to check us in and out and they can't even follow directions! It makes me wonder if they can even read... but I definitely suggest getting there early if you haven't been entered in the system yet.

As far as the strip searching thing goes, that is certainly NOT true. That's actually illegal. Its illegal for any officer to demand that we remove any of our clothing, other than shoes and socks, or a jacket/coat in the winter (the usual). As free citizens, while some CO's may not treat us like it, we still have our rights!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanaXOXO For This Useful Post:
josie231 (08-20-2012), niecy38 (08-21-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaXOXO View Post
The fingerprinting thing is a total MESS! My man is at St. Clair and it seems like nobody there even knows how to use a computer! They have a list of instructions on how to check us in and out and they can't even follow directions! It makes me wonder if they can even read... but I definitely suggest getting there early if you haven't been entered in the system yet.

As far as the strip searching thing goes, that is certainly NOT true. That's actually illegal. Its illegal for any officer to demand that we remove any of our clothing, other than shoes and socks, or a jacket/coat in the winter (the usual). As free citizens, while some CO's may not treat us like it, we still have our rights!

DanaXOXO my baby is at St. Clair too!!! There are definitely not many of us present on the forum. I am so happy that I am not alone. The CO's at St. Clair do act like they are illiterate. It drives me up the walls. How has it been since the first couple of weekends? The last time I was up there was 8/4/12. I wasn't able to go last week because they put him on restriction saying he didnt shave before our visit that day...which he did, I can vouch for him on that. I think they just like picking on the inmates in anyway possible....including slowing down their visiting process, IMHO. It definitely didn't sound right when someone mentioned strip searching. I just had to make sure. Not that I have anything to hide, I just feel that is degrading and disrespectful to ask loved ones to strip or they cant visit. Had you had your fingerprints done prior to visiting him recently? If so, were you able to get in for visits sooner this go around?
The Following User Says Thank You to BB Gupton For This Useful Post:
josie231 (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM

No strip-searches at Bullock either. They did ask ladies to show the top of their underwear and performed a minimal pat down. The finger-printing went pretty smoothly and the CO's were ok. I wish more folks with LO's at Bullock would post their experiences. It does help to hear about the experiences of others.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 PM

Glad to know Draper goes pretty quickly. I am hoping to start my visits soon as soon as I can get approved by the warden.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Red face Fingerprinting at St. Clair

I was just there this week; and they don't have this fingerprinting scanner together; some people it took 3 hours to get through; one guy got in 15 minutes before visits were announced over, and he went off. If you see that your fingerprinting scanner is not working then you give those who waited too long longer time....everyone else could have left the visiting room. I don't understand as the whole process takes 5 minutes to do...their computers kept shutting down etc. It was a mess. There was no strip search...just the regular search left up your bra, check the top of your pants, pockets, bottom of feet. Now that was this week, there could be different female guards there next time. Ms. Massey is a mess.

I was reviewing some of the threads for the different prisons within ADOC...and OMG!!! I knew about the changes with the fingerprinting (which I hope is not a major pain in itself), but strip searching of guests and immediate family only??? WTF...I was wondering if anyone knew how true all of this was. I hope not at all because I am not a wife yet. I would hate to have to stop visiting my fiance when our visits just started. Any news you could give me would be excellent.[/quote]
Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Red face Fingerprinting at St. Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Gupton View Post
DanaXOXO my baby is at St. Clair too!!! There are definitely not many of us present on the forum. I am so happy that I am not alone. The CO's at St. Clair do act like they are illiterate. It drives me up the walls. How has it been since the first couple of weekends? The last time I was up there was 8/4/12. I wasn't able to go last week because they put him on restriction saying he didnt shave before our visit that day...which he did, I can vouch for him on that. I think they just like picking on the inmates in anyway possible....including slowing down their visiting process, IMHO. It definitely didn't sound right when someone mentioned strip searching. I just had to make sure. Not that I have anything to hide, I just feel that is degrading and disrespectful to ask loved ones to strip or they cant visit. Had you had your fingerprints done prior to visiting him recently? If so, were you able to get in for visits sooner this go around?

Hi Dana, I just posted my experience at St. Clair with the fingerprinting.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Gupton View Post
I know! It's so great to have others around that know exactly what we're dealing with. It's different at every camp, you know?
I'm sorry they put him on restriction for the shaving thing. I totally agree that they do this crap on purpose because the same thing happened to my man for chow. He has dark hair and it grows so fast that they don't believe him when he says he shaved! To me, that just means our men are even more manly!

But no worries! I asked my lawyer about this and he said it's 100% absolutely illegal for any strip searches to happen to visitors. The only way it would be legal would be if they caught a guy trying to sneak something in. Then they would have to arrest their visitors. So we have nothing to worry about. Thank god, that would be so degrading!
The first time they did the fingerprinting was a MESS, but this past weekend they let us in around 7:30 to get the process started, and then began searching and letting us in the visitation room at 8:00. But girl, the secret to getting in as much time as possible with him is to get there early. I get there around 7:20 (I'm usually 4th or 5th in line) and it gives us plenty of time. But that also depends on how many people come on your visitation day. I'm in the last name A-E group.
Above all, it totally depends on who they have behind the computers. The second time was much faster but they had a seemingly intelligent person at the desk. IMHO, most of them are complete idiots. I feel like jumping over the desk and doing their job for them so everyone can get in!

I'm gonna PM you my e-mail, let's keep in touch!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:44 PM

Hey DanaXOXO!!! Just getting online!!! We are off by a couple of alphabets. His last name begins with G. =(. It looks like there is someone else from St. Clair too. Hey niecy38! I've been looking for people with lo's at st. clair forever, but now we're popping up everywhere. hehehe. You are so very, very, very right about Ms. Massey. I heard that she is a HOT mess. I have heard bad stories from not only the inmates there, but the visitors too. I told my baby the two times I have had interactions with her she has been super nice to me. He said, "bae, just wait til she finds out you're my wife. She'll hate you then". I know she cant be that bad, right? Yes, Dana, the hubby's hair grows super dark when it does grow. So they get on to him about it. He tries to keep his peace, but they pick at him until he finally blows. Smh!!! I won't see him until the sept. 15th visit, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be there super early to see my man. I'm super excited that I have someone who can relate now. I haven't forgotten to ask if he knows your husband, I havent talked to him on the phone yet though. Did you ask your hubby if they knew one another?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:23 PM
vamom

Default Visitation

A local businessman that visits my son took an hour and a half to get in with the new procedure
Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Trying to help my man

Does anyone kno if they have the finger printing thing at Elmore. Hopefully ill b going to see my hubby soon would like to kno..
Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 AM

They are fingerprint at ALL Alabama prisons. It is statewide. Elmore was the first to do it and that was actually a few months ago. They wanted to see how long it wouod take to get the system up and running.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:18 PM

It takes forever to get through at Elmore.