Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:38 PM

Default Law to reduce prison population

Good evening. Let me start my stating that I am new to this whole prison system as of January 2020. It will be my life for the next 2 1/2-5 years as that is my fiancé’s sentence from Philadelphia. So far we’ve been through the process of being transferred from CFCF, to Phoenix, to now Camp Hill. He has been there for two weeks today and still hasn’t been classified. My first question is, how long does classification typically take? And then how long after that until he is sent to his home jail (if it is or isn’t CH)?

Besides that, I have read that Gov. Tom Wolf has enacted a bill to reduce the population in PA prisons, specifically by getting inmates with shorter prison sentences out on parole sooner. Any word on this or how good it is looking? I have friends in Senate who say this is a big push and looks very positive but nothing specific for PA (we are from NJ). His lawyer is also aware of the bill and said it’s all talk right now. If anyone knows any more info about it, please share.

I guess if there is anything else I need to know, what to look forward to, etc, I am all ears and looking for any insight or positive encouragement. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2020, 07:24 AM

Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,304 Posts

Governor Wolfe signed two bills which make up the JR-2 initiative. They were signed back in December.

One provision is that men and women whose minimum sentences are TWO YEARS OR LESS are "presumptively paroled" at that minimum date. This means they can expect parole unless there are compelling reasons to deny it, such as failure to complete programs, misconduct, etc.

Another provision streamlines the boot camp process to get more men and women into that diversionary program.

At the other end of the rainbow, a provision creates a seven-day "shock treatment" for a parolee who just isn't obeying the rules. Minor technical violations now can be addressed by seven days in prison. For those who show a pattern of disobedience, that can now be twelve months in prison.

The net effect of these bills is to reduce the prison population size, but it has been declining for years anyway. (SCI Retreat will close in March.) They work to further this goal by getting these really "short-timers" out. They do not mandate a reduction in prison population; they simply create ways to do it. The gates aren't about to be swung open with men and women lined up to leave.

Historically, the DOC was meant only for those serving long sentences anyway, so this concept is more like returning the state system to what it once was. It's been a twenty-year headache for the DOC to try and adapt to the short-timers that judges were sending in. (I'm working with a man who was sentenced to one DAY to five years by a judge who was just pissed at him.)

Last edited by bobble60; 02-23-2020 at 07:16 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobble60 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-16-2020), Ms Sunny (02-18-2020), patchouli (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 PM

Wow thats terrible! One day to five years. I swear all of this is just so subjective. My fiance was sentenced to 2 1/2 to 5 years. I know you mentioned above that the bill signed is only for those with a minimum of 2 years. In other words, this doesnt apply to us? He must do the entire 2 1/2 years before he can be eligible for parole?
Old 02-22-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalbright17 View Post
Wow thats terrible! One day to five years. I swear all of this is just so subjective. My fiance was sentenced to 2 1/2 to 5 years. I know you mentioned above that the bill signed is only for those with a minimum of 2 years. In other words, this doesnt apply to us? He must do the entire 2 1/2 years before he can be eligible for parole?

From what Bobble stated above it applies to sentences of two years or less.

I do not believe the law has been changed where by an inmate must serve at least the minimum sentence before he/she can be considered for parole - in your case 2-1/2 years at least must be served. Unfortunately this does not guarantee parole at 2-1/2 years. "Parole" in considered a "privilege" and not a "right". But once the 5 years is reached if not paroled by then he would "max-out" and be released.
The Following User Says Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 07:28 PM

Understood. Hopefully with good behavior,
Completion of whatever programs he needs, and whatever else the parole board looks at, we will be together again in 2.5 years. God willing.