Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Connecticut Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Confused on phones and on inmate account for holidays

Hi everyone,

I am so sorry to bother you again but you are the only people that are helping me understand all this. My husband is still at Garner and last time I visited him they had something about inmate care packages. The way I understood it was he has to buy them, we could just money in his comissary account so he could buy what he wanted. However, I also read that people could send money to his account that aren't on his visitor's list during the time that the care packages are being delivered. I've has some people ask me how to they could help my husband so I want to tell them about this but I wanted to make sure my information is right.

I am also confused on the phones. My husband said that he can now call us occassionally if he can ever figure out how to use the phones. What can I tell them about them? Does anybody know how they work? My mother-in-law says we can get collect calls but do we need to be signed up with a specific phone company or anything? Thanks so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2006, 07:00 AM

I am not really sure about the inmate care package..but the phone, he has to put the # on his phone list and then he gets a pin # after that he will be able to call collect..who do you have for phone carrier..if its AT&T then you dont have to do anything..if you have cable then there is another process you have to go through..but have him ask his counselor about the package..I know there are specific things he can have/cant have..but he should be able to get a list to you..any other questions, I will try to help as much as I can..
Old 11-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Always smiling

In regaurdes to the care package. I've heard rumors about sending money and they can buy whatever they can afford.. As in food, accessories, ect.. My boyfriend is in Radgowski CI, & his family and I are putting together a care package for him. With things like bath-robe, PJ's, boxers, slippers, ect. & all we have to do is fill out a forum his consuler will be sending me, then we bring the package to the jail, and from there they inspect it to make sure nothing he cant recieve is in there, then they give it to him. I'm not sure if this can be done with all facilities, but I'd call and confirm if you can.

Now as for the phone situtation. I believe your best bet is to go through MCI. All you do is tell them you want to recieve phone calls from a Correctional Facility & they will help you set up an account that only the collect calls get billed to. I'd recommened MCI only because you'd have control of how much the bill can get. If you use your regular phone provider then your bill could get really high, and you'd never know how much your bill is till you get your bill. Been there, done that, and it wasnt pretty... lol

Hope this helps, anything else please feel free to PM me.

*jULY 5tH,2007*

:.*.:Crazy inlove:.*.:

Last edited by JonathansWife; 11-11-2006 at 08:35 AM..
Old 11-11-2006, 10:51 PM

care packages can be sent from a date in November through a date in January--he will be sending me his form to show what is allowed-and to give me the exact dates. He did say it is only underwear, socks, pjs,grey sweats without pockets and an option of two brands of footwear/boots. The footwear has to be sent directly from the store.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:57 PM

They come out with a special list during the holidays that commisary doesn't sell the rest of the year. It has different types of juice, chocolate, candies, and snacks. You will have to download a different form from the doc website though, that money is set up for the holiday commisary account. (well at least last year that was how they did it, this year who knows things change all the time)
Loving my papi chulo club #69
Old 11-14-2006, 11:55 PM

Default still confused

Apparently, we can't send anything to my husband. We can put extra money in his account and he can order a care package but we can't order it for him. I take it it's different at each prison? My husband is in Garner.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:15 AM

Every place is different..once a year sometimes they will allow certain clothing to be sent in..but again every facility has there own rules..so maybe after the first of the year they might have a specific time frame set up where you can send in clothing..I dont know Garners rules..
Old 11-15-2006, 10:11 PM

there is a holiday flyer notice on the DOC website (all the way to the right )and it explains how the DOC is operating this year in regards to holiday funds/packages==send money in to account and inmate can purchase a care package (7 choices) read it it explains the rules
Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 PM

ok---about the holiday flyer on the DOC--those are FOOD packages-7 choices( ie; meat, candy, seasoning, etc. ) They can use money from their accounts to purchase these packages. At CR they are passing out forms for inmates to send home for specific clothing/shoe purchases which can be sent to the facility during a specified time frame as I said in my earlier post ie; underwear, sweats, socks, etc.) Hope this clears some things up.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Faithfully waiting
Donation Award 

In WV they cant receive packages. We are not allowed to send anything. It really pisses me off. Sorry, needed to vent. I was really wanting to send something special. Call the warden, he should be able to explain everything to you.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Pauly's Girl

my fiance is in New haven and they do they care package thing, people who are not on the list can send money during this time in N H it ended on 12/15, but they have to indicate the money is for the holiday package when they send it. Send it to the same place, then they pick out what they want