Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arkansas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arkansas.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:04 PM

Default Any one know what Calico prison is like?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows someone in Calico Rock? My husband is currently in Varner and having a very rough time. We are trying to get him transfered to Calicoa was just wondering how rough it is there. We want him there cause its closer to Batesville were we live.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:07 AM
Live, Laugh & Love

Hi Araminta!

My husband was at Calico Rock 2 years ago. It's not real rough, lots of young guys trying to prove themselves. One wing (I believe the north) is highly homosexual. The guards are a balanced mix of those that are seasoned (cool, not tring to make a name for themselves) and the buttheads (power trips). Visitation is pretty relaxed, but the gaurds(some i should say) like to zoom in the camera on the women if you know what I mean.

There was some racial lines and fighting going on. Mainly the whites (ararian nation etc) trying to jump the blacks. My husband has told me some pretty funny stories about these.

The check in process is pretty fast compared to some prisons, but you do have to wait outside in a line during the winter till they open the doors at 11.

PM me if you have more specific questions and I can ask my husband and get back with you.

Days till were a family again
Old 12-27-2003, 11:34 AM

Hi Ara,
My husband has been at Cummins, Brickeys, and Calico. We made a lot of calls, and wrote letters to get him into Calico. I slept a lot easier with him there. No prison is great of course, but he says Calico is the best of them. Less violence, etc. Also as visits go, I had a more pleasant experience at Calico than the others. Guards are more mellow and all that. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:37 PM

Question thanks for info? one more question.

thanks for the heads up. Where did you write to ask he be put in Calico? My husband has put in a request but if a letter from me would help I'll defiatly do it it would shorten my drive by 2 hours on visits.