Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arkansas Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Arkansas Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 PM
waiting for my sweet ange

Question Varner Unit Visitations

Am needing information on what the visitations are like at Varner Unit. It will be my first visit. How long does it take to get approved on an inmates visitation?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
Am needing information on what the visitations are like at Varner Unit. It will be my first visit. How long does it take to get approved on an inmates visitation?
I've been to Varner just about every other weekend for the last year or so...maybe I can answer your questions.

My visit form only took a few days to be processed once I mailed it off. You can either wait for your inmate to let you know if you were approved or you can call and speak to the visitation people. But don't be surprised if it takes a few weeks. Definitely make sure you're approved before making the drive...they're not too lenient with making exceptions!

As far as how the visits go...they seem to be a little more laid back than compared to one other facility I visited (Wrightsville).

Try to get there about 10:45 or 11am...they let families in kinda early and sometimes start visits at 11:30am (out at 3:30pm). Normally they run 12pm-4pm. You'll wait in line with the other cars, check in at the entrance, they'll take down your license plate number, look at your ID and sometimes check the car (rarely). They give you a numbered card to keep in your car and return to them as you leave.

Check-in is pretty quick if you're early enough. Take off your shoes and empty your pockets. Run that stuff through the Xray and you walk through the metal detector and get patted down pretty good. Get your things, scan your ID and run your fingerprint at the desk then they send you on to the visitation area.

The visitation area is like a cafeteria. Saturdays are really busy and crowded, Sundays not so much! Each family is assigned a table number and sits at a small square table. They let the inmates in sometimes one-by-one and it seems like forever before your inmate comes out! They usually have about 4-6 guards in the visitation area on the perimeter of the room. They have a corner set up for pictures, the hobby-craft store and a concession stand with hot food as well as vending machines for drinks and other snacks.

I say that visitation there seems more laid back because the guards aren't always in our business. Me & my husband try to "behave" as there are several kids around and other people that don't want to see us smooching all day, haha, but we've witnessed several couples doing risque things and get away with it. You can get up and walk around for a bit with the person your visiting, as long as you stay in the areas they're allowed to be in.

When it's time to go, they flick the lights, you say your good-byes, check-out the same way you checked in and head back home.

I know this is probably more info than you ever wanted, I just wasn't sure if this was your 1st time EVER visiting or just your 1st time visiting Varner. Either way, I remember my 1st visit being a very overwhelming confusing thing and it would've been real nice to know what to expect! Good luck and I hope you have a nice visit. I'll be going there Saturday.
CoatsGirl (10-12-2010), hectorsbabygirl (09-22-2010)
Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 PM

Smile Varner visitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy'sWife View Post
I've been to Varner just about every other weekend for the last year or so...maybe I can answer your questions.

My visit form only took a few days to be processed once I mailed it off. You can either wait for your inmate to let you know if you were approved or you can call and speak to the visitation people. But don't be surprised if it takes a few weeks. Definitely make sure you're approved before making the drive...they're not too lenient with making exceptions!

As far as how the visits go...they seem to be a little more laid back than compared to one other facility I visited (Wrightsville).

Try to get there about 10:45 or 11am...they let families in kinda early and sometimes start visits at 11:30am (out at 3:30pm). Normally they run 12pm-4pm. You'll wait in line with the other cars, check in at the entrance, they'll take down your license plate number, look at your ID and sometimes check the car (rarely). They give you a numbered card to keep in your car and return to them as you leave.

Check-in is pretty quick if you're early enough. Take off your shoes and empty your pockets. Run that stuff through the Xray and you walk through the metal detector and get patted down pretty good. Get your things, scan your ID and run your fingerprint at the desk then they send you on to the visitation area.

The visitation area is like a cafeteria. Saturdays are really busy and crowded, Sundays not so much! Each family is assigned a table number and sits at a small square table. They let the inmates in sometimes one-by-one and it seems like forever before your inmate comes out! They usually have about 4-6 guards in the visitation area on the perimeter of the room. They have a corner set up for pictures, the hobby-craft store and a concession stand with hot food as well as vending machines for drinks and other snacks.

I say that visitation there seems more laid back because the guards aren't always in our business. Me & my husband try to "behave" as there are several kids around and other people that don't want to see us smooching all day, haha, but we've witnessed several couples doing risque things and get away with it. You can get up and walk around for a bit with the person your visiting, as long as you stay in the areas they're allowed to be in.

When it's time to go, they flick the lights, you say your good-byes, check-out the same way you checked in and head back home.

I know this is probably more info than you ever wanted, I just wasn't sure if this was your 1st time EVER visiting or just your 1st time visiting Varner. Either way, I remember my 1st visit being a very overwhelming confusing thing and it would've been real nice to know what to expect! Good luck and I hope you have a nice visit. I'll be going there Saturday.
Thank you so much for the information on the visitations at varner. Still waiting to get approved. It will be my first time visiting. It's my fiance's first time in prison, too. scary. But, I'm kinda handling it ok. just need alot of support.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the information on the visitations at varner. Still waiting to get approved. It will be my first time visiting. It's my fiance's first time in prison, too. scary. But, I'm kinda handling it ok. just need alot of support.
you guys will do fine. just follow the rules and make sure he does too. no point in doing stupid stuff, especially if he has a chance of coming home soon! unfortunately, even doing everything right may not keep him out of trouble. he'll just have to know how to handle the stress, the jerks, the guards. he'll learn and just may never want to go back when it's done!!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Needing to know why it's so hard to get approved for visitations at Varner Unit. Does anyone out there know or shed some light on the subject? It's frustrating with xmas around the corner. Thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Needing to know why it's so hard to get approved for visitations at Varner Unit. Does anyone out there know or shed some light on the subject? It's frustrating with xmas around the corner. Thanks
How long ago did you mail your visitation application to them? Have you tried calling the visitation clerk? Sometimes that helps to push things through. Honestly, I don't know anyone that's had trouble with getting approved right away...so I'd keep calling till they get you on there!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Why is it so hard to get approved for visitation at the Varner unit in Grady, AR? Any advice would be helpful. Happy Holidays
Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 PM

My husband is in varner unit and i am going to visit him in two weeks. it will be the first time i have seen him in over a year! im not sure what a special visit is though. can anyone please help?