Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 PM

Question 4th Parole Reviw

Hello, just looking for some advice.

This will be my LO's 4th time up for parole. He just went into review so we are looking for a May/June answer. His PRD is in September so we have 2 chances this year. We acquired a parole lawyer last year and I was honestly disappointed. Mind you I heard nothing but good things about this lawyer. There just was lack of communication on their end. He ended up being transferred during the middle of the review and I personally think that the her off. Anyways I wasn't contacted until The week before the "meeting" with the lead voter. Initially it was suggested that I shouldn't speak with the lead voter because he didn't like to speak with family members or something along those lines and honestly I was okay with that. Then a day later that was switched to me speaking to the leader voter per the lawyer. I was told good things about the lead voter and how they've known each other for years but I knew that was some fluffing going on. So the day of the call with he lead voter I was obviously on the line and I was completely disappointed with the argument and how things were presented. The call was 30 minutes if that total. He was denied a week later, which I knew was going to be the outcome. He had no major or minor cases last year and the codes used were 1D, 5D, 7D. Which are pretty much the same denials hea been getting.

So here we are again with the same representation. I feel a little better this time around in regards to what to expect and how I should handle things this time around.

Since being at his new unit he's completed every class they have offered. He's completed changes and cognitive intervention. He has 2 years of no cases (only 1 major case in 2018) since hes been in. Aside from stay out of trouble we are trying to figure out what else he can possibly do. He has no drug or sex crime so he couldn't qualify for other parole programs. He has a 10 year sentence and has been in since 2017 with a full year of back time. He was transferred to a pre-release unit to take changes last year and from what I read on here that apparently means nothing. I dont know why they would move him there if the plan was to keep him there since it's not a long term unit. This would be his 4th unit so basically hes' moved every year.

This year I have no desire to speak to the lead voter. I know it's supposed to be helpful but both times I've spoken with a lead voter I had negative experiences with negative outcomes. The first time I made my own packet and scheduled my own meeting with the lead voter and the second time was with a lawyer.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any advice/input.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2020, 01:04 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,266 Times in 1,683 Posts

What is his offense?
Old 01-09-2020, 07:20 PM

Burglary of a habitation and evading arrest both running concurrently.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:03 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,266 Times in 1,683 Posts

It's hard to read into anything to do with the parole board. Both offenses combined are a double dose of intensity. Those of us with serious felonies of the 3g variety are no strangers to repeated set offs. I have 2 TDC #s and both offenses are for robbery. I'm still on parole for the 2nd offense. And so....I understand what you're going through and I know how he feels. His offenses are not 3g, but when you throw the evading arrest offense into it, it intensifies the whole situation.
Some regions are better than others. The Huntsville region and the Amarillo region have a history of being harder on those who come up for parole. I don't know what region he is in, but as long as he maintains and stays patient, he should see some light at the end of the tunnel. When? It's hard to say.
I'm not surprised that one of the board members made it be known that he didn't care speak to a family member concerning parole matters. Many of the board members know what is going to be said before anyone ever contacts them. It's nothing against you, but being supportive of your loved one is not something that they give much thought to for the most part. The nature of the offense, amount of flat time served and the way someone has acted in prison carries more weight than anything.