Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Indiana that do not fit into any other Indiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:52 AM

Default Son sentenced to 180 days w/ 1 yr Community Corrections. What happens now?

My "recently" adult son has just been sentenced. He was sentenced to 180 days incarcerated following 1 year at Community Corrections with open placement which should mean House Arrest/Home Detention. Our lawyer is not responding to my texts since our sentencing last week and I am going through all sorts of anxiety not knowing what is going on.

1. He is in county jail in Indiana, however, we were told that the DOC decides if he will stay in county or go to prison. How soon before we know that? And for that short of a sentence it is a possibility? Our lawyers said he can't guarantee but through his "personal experiences" they normally are not sent for that short of term. All of the inmates in his block tell him he is going to prison.

2. Is it possible for me to get a copy of the court documents? They gave him something in jail but it is hard to hear him on the phone.... very noisy. He says it says 400 and some days and I don't even know where that number came from. When I look him up online at the jail it has a release date of October 2017. Our plea agreement was for 180 days incarcerated/1 year Community Corrections/2 yrs probation.

3. Does the 75% good time credit stand? The lawyer told us he would get 4 days credit for every 3 days served but everyone in the jail is telling him they have never heard of that.

It is so hard with no one telling me anything about my son. I know he messed up and he is suffering the consequences. He is still part of my heart and I will help him through this as much as I can. I am just used to taking care of everything for him and now I am not able to do anything. I think I would feel better if they would tell me a release date. I was calculating around January 9-10th with the credit and with the few days he already served. I am working on getting everything ready for home detention.... but how long after he is sent to Community Corrections does it take for them to release him to Home Detention? Any advice greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2016, 11:02 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,327 Times in 14,850 Posts

I've moved your thread to the Indiana forum because some of your questions are state specific, such as the Good Time credits--every state is different in that aspect.

You can review his case file (or free) at the courthouse in the county of conviction. Any copies you want will be a minimal charge.

You can't fix this for him, nor should you Sometimes taking responsibility for one's own actions helps them grow up. I do understand that it hurts; that its frustrating to not be able to "fix" it for them. Just breathe, he'll be ok. Support in other ways: write a lot. Send letters, cards, pictures (if the facility allows them); visit when you can and only accept his calls as much as you can afford to.

Welcome to PTO!

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
LisaIndy (09-08-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Thank you.... I did not realize there was an Indiana forum

I have wrote almost every day... it has only been a week lol Too much? I've sent him a book and a bible although he has not received anything yet not even my letters. I am sure the holiday has played a part in that though. I sent him pictures of his little sisters yesterday. He calls me about twice a day. I get anxiety if I have not heard from him. I am still receiving child support from his dad so what he doesn't need for commissary/trust will go in his bank account to help pay for fees that he is responsible for upon release.

In all honesty I am just worried about him being safe. I have been assured the jail he is in is not too bad. They said he would just be bored out of his mind. He seems to be sleeping most of the time though. I will confess that I am an over-thinker and I worry way too much. I don't feel comfortable not knowing all of the details.

First visit is tonight.... hopefully I will be able to sleep better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LisaIndy For This Useful Post:
Mama33 (09-08-2018), patchouli (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 02:44 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Many county facilities here (ky) do not allow books or bibles (or newspaper/magazine subscriptions) to be sent in....the prisons do, but not most of the county detention centers.

Don't stress over sending a letter everyday IMHO a couple time a week would suffice. Besides, I'm sure you have other responsibilities as well. You have to take care of yourself first

LisaIndy (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:15 AM

Thanked 1,060 Times in 510 Posts

Lisa more info is available here on the state prisons than the local jails. Sentencing used to be 50/50 based on good behavior and a year sentence would most likely be at the prison level. Effective 7/1/15 sentencing changed. I have been having a hard time figuring it out. I still see some sentences on the old rules so I assume they may have been old charges. They are using a numbering charging range from 1-6 now and it is a 75/25 but it is that you do 75% of the sentence not the 25. That sounds bad, but the good thing is that sentence range is lower for most crimes. They don't get as many years for most of the crimes as they used to. It is supposed to help with the prison population. It is now overcrowding the jails. Marion Co in in bad shape with overcrowding. The jails are looking at ways to help like home detention or community correction so that could be good for your son. With sentences like his it is highly unlikely that he would ever be sent to prison.

Hamilton County may be different but with Marion Co we were not allowed to send in anything but money. They were allowed to call - the calls weren't cheap and it was hard to hear. Visitation was tough as you had to make an appointment and be there to sign in early or miss your visit and they were behind glass. I imagine each county has some variations on that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
LisaIndy (09-08-2016), patchouli (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 AM

Yep we are in Hamilton County and the drug laws are harsher than most counties. They won't let him have the books I sent because they came from Amazon. I have to have them sent straight from the publisher. Our visit last night went well. They are all video visits. But he looked okay anyways.... a bit depressed but I guess that is to be expected. I am hoping he hears from DOC very soon. I am worried they will send somewhere else.... hopefully not since it is a short sentence but you never know. He said he will also get a release date from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to LisaIndy For This Useful Post:
patchouli (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Lisa there s a sentence range of what they can give. It changed in 2015. My son got 19 years with 13 suspended do 6 with 3 off for good behavior (the 50/50). With the new sentencing guidelines that were posted with the change he would have had in the 4-5 range - if they had any suspend options he may bave been down to a 2-3 year range with 75% time served. Sentencing may seem harsh, but it was worse. My understanding from things in the news is that they are not being taken to prison if they have a year or less to serve. There is a short term facility at Plainfield over on US 40. Hopefully they do take him there. It's close for you to visit, visits are contact, and they have more freedom of movement than in the jails.

In the prisons they can have books shipped to them but only from Amazon or someone like that where is shows shipped by Amazon-it gets tricky as some are shipped by Mass Marketing. Also in the prison system they can't have hard backs - only softbacks.

Hope you guys find out something soon. It's so hard when it's your kids.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
LisaIndy (09-09-2016), Mama33 (09-08-2018), patchouli (09-08-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Well he got moved sometime during the night. I am overwhelmed, scared, exhausted, worried.... you name and I am going through it. I assume he was moved to RDC. The jail is no help at all.... they get upset anytime you call with a question. I have sent a letter to RDC hoping he will get it. His lawyer told us he will most likely stay in the county jail.... guess that didn't happen.

Does anyone know if his commissary moves with him? I just put $50 on his books and $50 on my phone this week (we have to pay for visits).

Someone told me after all the stuff at RDC, he will most likely be moved back to Ham Co Jail. Is that a possibility? why go to all the trouble of the transfer and everything to be moved back to where he started? Gives me hope anyways.

He did get a release date of 1/7/17. I assume he will go to a level 1 facility. But it could be a couple of months before I talk to him. This doesn't feel right at all If he does go to a prison, I have read that it takes a few weeks to get approved to visit. By that time most of his sentence will be up. I will do whatever I need though. I just hope he is adjusting okay.

I didn't even discuss RDC with him since I did not think it would happen. He doesn't know what to expect. My heart breaks for him. I hope he hates all of this so much that he never so much as gets a speeding ticket. I never want to go through this again.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:08 PM

Lisa I did not think they would move him either with what they have been saying about the prisons. The word was that unless they have a year or more prison is not taking them but it is leaving the jails in bad shape. RDC is an average of 3.6 weeks. His money should follow him (my sons did anyway). I would think he will get the Plainfield short term facility. RDC is hard but similar to the jail prison is actually a better situation for them as they get more movement.

indiana DOC website has a form that you can pull to fill out for visiting. You can get it ready to send in when you find out where they send him. Please review it carefully. I forgot to send a copy of my license and had to start over so it delayed my approval. I believe you can also get a form off of jpay. I set up an account with them so I could send quick notes. You can't write as much as a letter but it's good for notes.

You will need to check with the jail phone provider to see if they also service the prison. There was a change in phone service about the time my son was coming home and I think some of the jails have also changed providers.

The one thing that kind of freaked me out was after my son was sent to prison I got a notice to go to UPS to pick up his things. I wasn't aware that would happen and wasn't prepared for it. Opening that box of his stuff - clothes shoes etc was hard.

Last edited by tigrldy; 09-09-2016 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Add info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
LisaIndy (09-09-2016), patchouli (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:11 PM

One other thing watch the Indiana DOC website. The is an inmate locator there and you can see when they move him and where. He probably will not be there for a few days at least but it made me feel better knowing when he was moved.
The Following User Says Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
LisaIndy (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:45 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

You can also register with VINELink for either phone or email notification. When he's moved you'll know.

https://vinelink.com/#/home

LisaIndy (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 PM

I have googled stuff all day long. I think if you are sentenced with the DOC you have to be sent to RDC for evaluation before you can be released. We weren't told that though. I am signed up with the IDOC to received alerts if he has been moved but it doesn't matter..... I check the site all day long although nothing changes. THis has been one of the longest days ever. Whoever thought time could go so slow! I wish I would have known to prepare him for this. He did finally show up in the JPay system. I put $20 on his books for now. I am tired of wasting the money. Both times he has ordered commissary, he was moved before he received it. He was so hungry last night when we talked. He couldn't wait to receive his items Saturday Guess he is going to be hungry a bit longer *sigh* Wish I could fix this for him but it is out of my hands. Now it is just waiting.... this sucks. My brain is wired to be a "planner" and I get anxiety over the unknown.

I read that the visitor form had to be sent directly from him. Is this true? Can I start the process of having my phone number approved yet or do I have to wait for him to be at a permanent facility? Has anyone heard of someone going to RDC to only be transferred back to the county jail? He hasn't been in a cell yet so I am sure a lot is going though is mind right now. He has been in Block A which in our county is all open.

I hope that he realized he needed to write me immediately when he got there. I have read through every thread on RDC. It looks like they get a couple of stamped envelopes when they get there.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:37 PM

I don't know if they move them to RDC then back to jail. That will be part of the new prroceedures that happened after our time. You can pull a visitors form and fill out . You can't send it in until he has a home prison if he does go there. He has to put people on his visitors list and phone list. having the visitors form set up and ready to be sent in made me feel a little more in control.

He has to let you know when you have been approved as a visitor.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:31 PM

Transferred to Heritage Trail (Plainfield STOP) yesterday. I was able to fill out visitation app online on JPay. I am having such a better day today.

Last edited by LisaIndy; 09-21-2016 at 12:33 PM..