Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions Please use this forum to talk about Department of Correction prison units, private institutiions, city jails, county jails, etc.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:18 AM

So I found the Colorado State DOC Classification for you, here it is

History of Institutional Violence (This includes fights at a county jail)

None - 0 points
No injury - 3 points
Injury or weapons involved - 10 points

Severity of Current Conviction

Low - 1
Low Moderate - 2
Moderate - 3
High - 4
Highest - 5

Escape History

None - 0
Escape/attempted/abscond resulting in administrative action - 3
" " from level 2 or below facility - 4
" " from level 3 or above facility - 6
Escape or attempt with violence - 10

------------ END PART A , if 14 or above CLOSED CUSTODY ----------------
If Part A is under 14 continue to score Part B

Type of most serious disciplinary conviction

None - (-1)
Class 2b - +3
Class 2a - +5
Class 1 - +7

Frequency of Disciplinary Convictions

None - (-1)
One Report - 0
Two Reports - +1
Three Reports - +3
Four or More - +5

Program Participation

Non-compliance with recommended programs - 0
On waitlist or participating with programming - (-1)
No recommended programs or completed program - (-2)

Work Evaluations

Maintained Satisfactory Employment - (-2)
Unassigned or seeking employment - 0
Unsatisfactory termination or not working - +2

Current Age

27 or Younger - +2
28-37 - 0
38-60 - (-1)
61 + - (-2)

******* END PART B ********

Add up all points and subtract where you can.

2 or Less - Minimum
3-12 - MR Minimum Restrictive
13-14 - Medium
15+ Closed Custody

I hope this helps people understand how the classification system in Colorado works. A case manager can override a facility and in most cases they will override a closed classification to a medium facility if there is no violence in an offenders background. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2018, 04:48 PM

So based on that I think he should be at 0 or 1. He has a potential parole date in 18 months too, I thought that would make a difference but maybe not. I don't know what an MR is? I've heard horrible things about CMRC as well, but I've also heard horrible things about Crowley and he's been ok there... I don't know. :/ The whole thing sucks.

Thanks for digging that up, that's a big help.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somom View Post
So based on that I think he should be at 0 or 1. He has a potential parole date in 18 months too, I thought that would make a difference but maybe not. I don't know what an MR is? I've heard horrible things about CMRC as well, but I've also heard horrible things about Crowley and he's been ok there... I don't know. :/ The whole thing sucks.

Thanks for digging that up, that's a big help.
An MR is Minimum Restrictive and there are a lot of those facilities. If your son isn't scheduled to see parole for another 18 months and his points are going to be low something that I would recommend that he look into is the SWIFT firefighting program. There is a lot of goodtime associated with it and it is a great program to give him skills for the future. The SWIFT team is trained wildland firefighters who go out and fight wildfires during the summer months. This program pays really good state pay and also looks really good to parole. You son will be a trained firefighter who will live with the other firefighters while on duty and will be treated as such. If the fire they are working is not within driving distance of the prison they will stay in the camp with the other firefighters working that incident so it is a good option to give your mind a break and kind of forget that you are a prisoner while doing something really good for your community. If i'm not mistaken they give you one day off of your sentence for each day that you are actively working on a fire. That is in addition to your other regular earned time so that would give you more good time than time you actually serve in prison each month.

Just an idea, tell him to look into it!
The Following User Says Thank You to CDOCoffender For This Useful Post:
somom (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:50 PM

Oh I see that on the bottom of the classification info now, sorry about that. So they must have used a completely different classification system in DRDC to put him in Crowley in the first place. He had never been in the system before but had been in County for 9 weeks before sentencing so there was that history of good behavior. But somehow he wound up with enough points to end up in medium.

Anyway, I'm going to send this to him and ask him if he has this info and ask him about the firefighter program. He said he might be interested in the woodworking or electronics, but the wait lists discourage him a lot. I just need to convince him that being on a wait list is better than not. Meanwhile he's working as a porter, at least that's something.

Thanks for being so helpful.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somom View Post
Oh I see that on the bottom of the classification info now, sorry about that. So they must have used a completely different classification system in DRDC to put him in Crowley in the first place. He had never been in the system before but had been in County for 9 weeks before sentencing so there was that history of good behavior. But somehow he wound up with enough points to end up in medium.

Anyway, I'm going to send this to him and ask him if he has this info and ask him about the firefighter program. He said he might be interested in the woodworking or electronics, but the wait lists discourage him a lot. I just need to convince him that being on a wait list is better than not. Meanwhile he's working as a porter, at least that's something.

Thanks for being so helpful.
The point chart that you see here is the exact same one that they used in DRDC, it does not change it is a State standard. He can request a copy of his classification to see why he was pointed out the way he was for himself. Without that you cannot really know how the re-class will look because a lot of the points on top won't change.

I can tell you that getting into the programs at Crowley is less about the waitlist and more about who you know. It would be smart for him to find someone in one of the programs that he wants to get into and have them recommend him to the person who runs the program. The waitlist is kind of a joke because most people get in using the method that I mentioned, his case manager or one of the CC's could also send an email or make a call for him but the reality is that he will need to be proactive and take action on his own to get into the job that he wants. He can also go over to the woodshop during the morning movement and talk to the Sergent who runs the program and let him know about any kind of background he has doing that kind of job. I don't know how long he has been there but during the summer they have a really big greenhouse and that is a nice job to have. You have to enroll in the horticulture class to be able to do it but when you are in that program you are able to eat a lot of fresh food and of course he will figure out how to take it back to the cell with him! I had a few friends who worked out there so I ate very well during the summer!
The Following User Says Thank You to CDOCoffender For This Useful Post:
somom (01-17-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 03:09 PM

Hey all,

My son just called me and said they've been on lock down since Saturday but they've still had access to their tablets. (Because of this, maybe you all knew about this lock down before me...?) He's heard rumors of why, but said he really has no idea why. They locked down for count on Saturday, then just haven't let them out. He told me they're 'trying to' get them off lockdown by Thursday (tomorrow) but he doesn't know if that's going to happen. They let them out for only an hour today. I wondered why I hadn't heard from him (but thankfully didn't panic this time)! I do see on the DOC website that visitation was only cancelled for Sunday and Monday, hoping they'll be good for the end of the week.

Anyone else heard anything?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Hi Somom,
From what I understand it's a scheduled shakedown. I've been communicating with my son from his tablet but it's very choppy but I think this is what he was trying to say. Hope this helps and that you are doing well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Romom For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-25-2018)