Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:19 PM

Thanked 1,456 Times in 798 Posts
Default Loving a white collar offender

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/y...als-wives.html
Quote:
Ms. Lawler, 60, is the founder of the White-Collar Wives Club, a blog she started in 2013, three years after her husband of 26 years was sentenced to 24 months in jail for embezzling $2.5 million dollars from a health care company in Massachusetts. In 2014, she took it a step further and created the White-Collar Wives Project, which includes the blog and a private online support group called “The Secret Lives of White-Collar Wives,” with about 70 members from around the world. Her mission was twofold: To raise awareness of the stigma and financial ruin facing the families of white-collar criminals, and to help guide women through their trauma and legal morass.
Quote:
Ms. Franck and Ms. Henry divorced their husbands, something Ms. Lawler suggests all wives of white-collar criminals do. “I’m adamant about them divorcing to protect their assets so they are left with a fighting chance to recover their own losses as the first victims of a husband’s financial crime,” she said.
fbopnomore (03-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,096 Times in 1,198 Posts

These really are such devastating crimes, not just to society but especially to one's immediate family. I'm not surprised most spouses end up divorcing.

It causes me no end of amazement seeing so many of these white-collared offenders getting off with slaps on the wrist -- just 24 months for stealing millions of dollars. When those of us "street criminals" who committed our burglaries and grand thefts the old fashioned way, often end up with 7- or 10-year sentences hanging over our heads, even if we "only" stole but a few thousand dollars... the double-standard is breathtaking.

And all for what? Just to live high on the hog for a few years until you are finally caught? Everything you've lived and worked for gone in asset forfeiture? I'll never understand.

But hey, I'm just a petty thief myself. So what do I know?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
DanielsWyf (04-02-2018), ItsMe81 (03-30-2018), xolady (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:38 AM

Thanked 5,960 Times in 3,104 Posts

Actually I don't believe that the families are so naive'. I do believe it's pretty crappy about the sentencing for these so called white collar criminals. Steal from the elderly retiree's and get a 12 month vacation!!! Steal from walmart get 20 years!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:44 AM

Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,287 Posts

If one person runs the finances in a household, it is easy to not know what is going on. There are some whose spouse puts them on an allowance and that is it. Others just spend and spend thinking the other is not complaining, so no big deal. I believe a lot of couple rarely sit down to go over their money.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
If one person runs the finances in a household, it is easy to not know what is going on. There are some whose spouse puts them on an allowance and that is it. Others just spend and spend thinking the other is not complaining, so no big deal. I believe a lot of couple rarely sit down to go over their money.
I'd have believed this back in the 1980's but not anymore.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I'm in a of budgeting groups. You would be surprised

Old 03-30-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I'm in a of budgeting groups. You would be surprised
I can see where some are shocked, hurt and naive' but the majority know exactly what money is coming in and where it's coming from. Budgeting is not usually something that's a problem until these people get caught!! Read the article it come across more as a I hate white collar criminal group then a support group for the criminal.

Last edited by xolady; 03-30-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

The NJ House Wife "star" blames her husband.

"Real Housewives of New Jersey" star Teresa Giudice said she blames her husband, Joe Giudice, for causing their family's recent legal woes that landed both of them in prison.

"I do blame him because if he was on top of everything then this wouldn’t have happened," Giudice told ABC News. "He keeps saying, 'You just got to move on from this. You can’t keep bringing up the past.' It’s true. I need to let it go and move on."
Nickel Timer (03-30-2018), xolady (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
the nj house wife "star" blames her husband.

"real housewives of new jersey" star teresa giudice said she blames her husband, joe giudice, for causing their family's recent legal woes that landed both of them in prison.

"i do blame him because if he was on top of everything then this wouldn’t have happened," giudice told abc news. "he keeps saying, 'you just got to move on from this. You can’t keep bringing up the past.' it’s true. I need to let it go and move on."
lmao!!!:d
Old 04-01-2018, 10:09 PM

Thanked 1,256 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
This is still very much true today!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:23 PM

Thanked 1,256 Times in 636 Posts

My husband committed a white collar crime, but he did not steal, or embezzle money nor did he profit in any way financially from his crime. Not all white collar criminals do, so for these women to say that all spouses should divorce to protect their assets is really terrible.

Perhaps if people had a better understanding of their assets and protection of said assets in the first place, then they wouldn't be in such financial ruins when the shit hit the fan, whether in criminal matter, divorce, or death. I have always had non-marital assets, as well as nominal joint assets and my husband's own assets. My non-marital assets are untouchable so that any restitution my husband owed, I would not be responsible for and I would have something of my own. Also, anything that was in TBE (tenancy by the entirety) also would be protected. I guess the bottom line, proper asset protection planning and/or estate planning would be appropriate for anyone, period.

Further in any marriage, a marriage should be a partnership and both spouses should always know at all times what is going on and where the money is coming in from and where it is going. There is absolutely no excuse for any person in a marriage to use the excuse that they had an "allowance" or their husband took care of everything. Unfortunately, that is all too common still today and in these marriages where one party did embezzle or steal, or even in the case where a spouse divorces another or dies, one spouse is usually left with little knowledge of the finances or bled dry. I have seen it many times and have many friends who continue to not deal with financial matters in their marriages. I warn them against it. They need to know these things and stop making excuses as you never know what might happen in the future. Illegal issues, or not, you need to understand your finances at all times and stop blaming everyone else, including their ex-husbands for their problems. If they had paid attention in the first place, instead of my guess, enjoying the nice life while they had it and looking the other way or just not asking questions, then they probably wouldn't have wound up in the situations they found themselves in.

It's no different than the spouse having an affair right in front of his wive's eyes and the wife looking the other way because she likes her life. Then when the spouse leaves she suddenly plays dumb and acts like she had no clue, yet everyone else knew what was going on, and you know she did too, but she wouldn't admit she knew because she thought she he would never leave her and just continue to have the status quo.

You know on the surface these people know something. They just don't want to admit they knew something wasn't right.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
xolady (04-04-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:13 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,708 Times in 14,456 Posts

Usually you trust your spouse. Or you are supposed to be able to.
When you find out you cant or couldnt....it can be crushing.
Especially when everything you own could be taken from you.
I mean everything.

This almost happened to me.
I never saw it coming.
(no, not a financial crime but it very well could have meant the end of life as I knew it)
Im not so quick to think that the spouses knew what was going on.
But it could be dangerous to be so blissfully ignorant of your finances.

edit part: Im not talking about this article. I didnt read it. Just talking some personal experiences

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-02-2018), xolady (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:43 PM

My family member also did time for a white collar crime. He also did not embezzle money, steal from anyone, or profit in anyway. It really pisses me off when people assume they know the situation.

I also think the "White Collar Wives Club" is a joke.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
GaReform (04-06-2018), rockchalk1 (04-03-2018), xolady (04-04-2018)