Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:15 PM

Cool Petersburg Low: SS on May 23, 2018, need info

Hello, I'm trying to get as much information about Petersburg Low anyone can give me. I SS on May,23,2018. I'm not sure if it's camp or the Low but I know for sure it's not Medium. The Pretrial officer I have Dropped me off a inmate Handbook that says Petersburg Low so I'm guessing it's the Low. The Paper is also Telling me to SS to the Low {1100.River.Road}.. I was sentenced to 36 months. This is my first time going Federal. I've been in state Prisons numerous times and Everyone says they're alot Different. THANK YOU FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN OFFER!!

Oh yeah, The judge Recommend Petersburg so I can Take CDL classes. Has anyone heard of CDL classes in Petersburg? I've been On State Drug Court twice so I believe I'm eligible for rdap ..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2018, 06:52 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,685 Times in 11,053 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk.

Petersburg Low is the old prison with the guard towers, and the camp is across the parking lot from the main door. A 36 month sentence is close to the RDAP cutoff, so be sure to bring it up right away. I don't think there is an A&O handbook for the camp, so you may be assigned there anyway.

There are some decent housing situations at the low, but some nasty ones too, the dorms in Lee and Richmond buildings for sure. If you do end up there, work on your counselor to get moved to one of the units with rooms/cells. The old SHU in Richmond was condemned, but then reopened because of overcrowding. Steel beds and no air conditioning (only the library and Chapel had AC when I was there) but it turned out to be my favorite housing destination anyway.

They also have the 18 month residential Life Connections Program in a dedicated housing unit. Talk to the Chaplain if you are interested. It wasn't helpful for me, but it was still a good way to spend 18 months of my sentence.

I don't know if they have the CDL program or not. Most release preparation programs have been cancelled by the bop, and Petersburg lost some of theirs during the purge.

Petersburg Low and Medium were both decent places to serve my sentence, so you definitely could have done worse. Like most bop prisons, there were a couple of terrible counselors, so if you are unlucky and get assigned to one of them, avoid dealing with them as much as possible. That is normal in bop prisons, so luck plays a big part in your housing/counselor circumstances.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk.

Petersburg Low is the old prison with the guard towers, and the camp is across the parking lot from the main door. A 36 month sentence is close to the RDAP cutoff, so be sure to bring it up right away. I don't think there is an A&O handbook for the camp, so you may be assigned there anyway.

There are some decent housing situations at the low, but some nasty ones too, the dorms in Lee and Richmond buildings for sure. If you do end up there, work on your counselor to get moved to one of the units with rooms/cells. The old SHU in Richmond was condemned, but then reopened because of overcrowding. Steel beds and no air conditioning (only the library and Chapel had AC when I was there) but it turned out to be my favorite housing destination anyway.

They also have the 18 month residential Life Connections Program in a dedicated housing unit. Talk to the Chaplain if you are interested. It wasn't helpful for me, but it was still a good way to spend 18 months of my sentence.

I don't know if they have the CDL program or not. Most release preparation programs have been cancelled by the bop, and Petersburg lost some of theirs during the purge.

Petersburg Low and Medium were both decent places to serve my sentence, so you definitely could have done worse. Like most bop prisons, there were a couple of terrible counselors, so if you are unlucky and get assigned to one of them, avoid dealing with them as much as possible. That is normal in bop prisons, so luck plays a big part in your housing/counselor circumstances.

Wow That was alot of Great Info. Thanks alot!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rizzy Baybee For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-09-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,685 Times in 11,053 Posts

The prison is in Hopewell, beside Fort Lee, not actually in Petersburg. The Virginia Riverside Regional Jail is close too.