Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 03-29-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Son signed Joint Suspension: Can the Judge reinstate his probation?

Hello, my son has been in and out of the Los Angeles county jail this past year for misdemeanor thefts and one burglary that I believe he plead guilty too. He has an addiction problem with heroin and meth. During this time, he was living on the streets of skid row. He was not from L.A.. His reason for being out there was because I took him to a detox facility to help him clean up and get his life together, or so I thought. He ended up going from detox to a half way house, to several halfway houses, while all along trying to maintain a job while actively using. He is still young, only 22 and has a lot to learn in life. We are from Riverside County. Needless to say, he couldn't maintain both addiction and a job and walked away from it all and ended up on the streets of skid row. I had no idea if my child was alive or dead. I had no idea where he was or how to find him. It was by a miracle from God that I was pointed to skid row. So, there was family and friends out on the streets of skid row looking for him. We were able to find him, but he did not want to come home. That was the hardest thing ever, but I had to respect his wishes, as he is an adult. So, this is when I would check the jails frequently so that I could see if he was alive, because I had no way to contact him. He ended up racking up 11 charges for theft and the burglary. Now, I have not been to any of those court dates so I am just going by what is on the website Nd what mu son tells me. During his last time in jail, he signed a joint suspension deal. The deal was he would complete a year program at a drug rehab. Well, he was removed from the program for using. I picked him up the same day and he was put in another program the next day and is doing well. He has a warrant with no bail because his PO violated his probation, as expected. Now, my questions are, can the judge reinstate his probation since it via his first violation? He is at a men's home in Riverside Co., will that effect his chances of getting reinstated? He is looking at 4yrs in prison. I apologize for this being such a long post, but as my screename reads, I am a worried mom. I know there comes a point in life where you have to face your consequences, but he is at a place that is working for him and he is doing amazing. Any advice would be great. I know not every answer is set in stone but. If anyone who can share their experiences with a similar situation, that would be great. He is going to court on the 9th. I am looking to God for strength and favor on my son. Thanks to anyone who replies.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 504 Posts

I don't want to speculate. I suggest you go to court on the 9th. It may get continued to another date and more hearings. Hard to say, these things can drag out. There is a lot going on in your son's situation and there may be more you are unaware of. He will, presumably, have a PD. Listen to what PD and Prosecutor and Judge say. That is the best way for you to get some idea of what might happen.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:39 AM

Thank you for replying, gvalliant. The problem is, he has no bail on this. We are willing to post bail, if it were to get continued, so he can continue his program at the men's home he is at. As a mom, I can't go to court because it will be too much for me emotionally if the outcome does not go in our favor. That is not to say, I am thinking negatively. I am just being realistic. Although I know God is able see us through this. My husband and the mens home supervisors will be going with him.
The Following User Says Thank You to WorriedMom49 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:43 AM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 504 Posts

Well, good that your husband is going. You will learn more from him after that. And maybe judge will set a bail at that hearing. Maybe???? Best wishes for something positive.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:47 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Well, good that your husband is going. You will learn more from him after that. And maybe judge will set a bail at that hearing. Maybe???? Best wishes for something positive.
Thank you so much.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorriedMom49 View Post
Hello, my son has been in and out of the Los Angeles county jail this past year for misdemeanor thefts and one burglary that I believe he plead guilty too. He has an addiction problem with heroin and meth. During this time, he was living on the streets of skid row. He was not from L.A.. His reason for being out there was because I took him to a detox facility to help him clean up and get his life together, or so I thought. He ended up going from detox to a half way house, to several halfway houses, while all along trying to maintain a job while actively using. He is still young, only 22 and has a lot to learn in life. We are from Riverside County. Needless to say, he couldn't maintain both addiction and a job and walked away from it all and ended up on the streets of skid row. I had no idea if my child was alive or dead. I had no idea where he was or how to find him. It was by a miracle from God that I was pointed to skid row. So, there was family and friends out on the streets of skid row looking for him. We were able to find him, but he did not want to come home. That was the hardest thing ever, but I had to respect his wishes, as he is an adult. So, this is when I would check the jails frequently so that I could see if he was alive, because I had no way to contact him. He ended up racking up 11 charges for theft and the burglary. Now, I have not been to any of those court dates so I am just going by what is on the website Nd what mu son tells me. During his last time in jail, he signed a joint suspension deal. The deal was he would complete a year program at a drug rehab. Well, he was removed from the program for using. I picked him up the same day and he was put in another program the next day and is doing well. He has a warrant with no bail because his PO violated his probation, as expected. Now, my questions are, can the judge reinstate his probation since it via his first violation? He is at a men's home in Riverside Co., will that effect his chances of getting reinstated? He is looking at 4yrs in prison. I apologize for this being such a long post, but as my screename reads, I am a worried mom. I know there comes a point in life where you have to face your consequences, but he is at a place that is working for him and he is doing amazing. Any advice would be great. I know not every answer is set in stone but. If anyone who can share their experiences with a similar situation, that would be great. He is going to court on the 9th. I am looking to God for strength and favor on my son. Thanks to anyone who replies.
Hi. I'm Victor download 'Shameless Protocol 1.0 app' if you use Android. Look for me Bigtoebaldass. Miracles happen there. Seriously
Old 04-01-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorluvzamy View Post
Hi. I'm Victor download 'Shameless Protocol 1.0 app' if you use Android. Look for me Bigtoebaldass. Miracles happen there. Seriously
Thank you, I will check it out.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:51 PM
She's Home! Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 4,869 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorriedMom49 View Post

Can they revoke him for violating probation the first time and send him to prison for 4 years?

Yes. Absolutely they can. For any reason. Some judges are generous with second chances. Others....not so much.

The fact that when one program failed him he was willing to immediately move into a different one and is now succeeding could potentially work in his favor: it shows an understanding of responsibility and a willingness to learn from mistakes.

When he goes to court, it would be good if the program at minimum writes a letter on his behalf explaining and supporting his attendance and giving soem details as to his progress. It would be even better if someone from the agency also could be at the courthouse to speak on his behalf. This increases the chances that they will accept his current placement and continue his probation. I worked in a residential facility for some time and we frequently did this for our clients, with tremendous success in getting warrants quashed, probations extended/reinstated, etc.

I wish him continued good luck and hope that they will extend his probation. Remember: you catch more flies with sugar than with salt. Be respectful of the judge.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (04-02-2018), sidewalker (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:03 PM

My son was sentenced 16 months prison time to serve in county, last Thursday. Thank you Jesus, he has to serve five months of that, because of the credit he has for time served already. He finally made it to the trustee tank today. He's been in reception for over a week, thank God that is over. Now we can start counting down.☺
Old 04-14-2018, 06:54 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,282 Times in 14,279 Posts

I sure hope he can get back into the program after his prison term (if that is possible)
And I hope he avails himself of NA meetings while in county

That's my dog's nose art