Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC) Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the California State Prison, located in Los Angeles County, California.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default 2013-2014 LAC Newbie Q & A Thread

If you are new to this prison and you have any questions, please use this for any general questions you may have that do not fit in any of the other Q&A threads!

Please try to stay on topic!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Lily

Hello,

I'm new to LAC and new to Prisontalk so forgive me if I've done this the wrong way.

I want to say hello to all that have their loves in any manner at LAC.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM

Welcome lilypad
The Following User Says Thank You to calicat25 For This Useful Post:
Lilypad (01-26-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM

Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypad View Post
Hello,

I'm new to LAC and new to Prisontalk so forgive me if I've done this the wrong way.

I want to say hello to all that have their loves in any manner at LAC.
hello and welcome to Lancaster

The Following User Says Thank You to Heluvedme1st For This Useful Post:
Lilypad (01-26-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Hello! Newbie here! Hope to hear from you all soon!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 PM

Hello ladies I was wondering if there are any reasonable hotels near or around the prison. I would like to go down there and visit my babe. Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 AM
Wife of Inmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie_Wifey View Post
Hello ladies I was wondering if there are any reasonable hotels near or around the prison. I would like to go down there and visit my babe. Thanks
I cheapest and closest I've been able to find is:
E-Z 8 Motel Lancaster
43530 17th Street West
Lancaster, CA 93534
(661) 945-9477
ez8motels.com‎
13 minute drive from LAC

or

Motel 6 Lancaster
43540 17th Street West
Lancaster, CA 93534
(661) 948-0435
13 minute drive from LAC

Those are motels though, they are cheaper but not hotels

Hotels:
Oxford Suites Lancaster California Hotel
1651 W Avenue K, Lancaster, CA
(661) 949-3423 ‎ · oxfordsuiteslancaster.com
13 minutes from LAC

or

Hampton Inn & Suites Lancaster
2300 West Double Play Way
Lancaster, CA 93536
(661) 940-9194
hilton.com‎
11 minutes form LAC

Hope, this helps. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theopportunist For This Useful Post:
beabenitez1978 (03-05-2013), Bobbie_Wifey (03-04-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Just sent in my visiting form to LAC to my inmate. How long before I get approved? All I have on my record is a theft misdemeanor from 2010... Please and thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Account Closed

Hello all, so I'm new to this site and was wondering about fans. I know kind of a weird question but my mijo is gonna be transferred from PVSP to LAC and wants to know if they allow fans. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamor View Post
Hello all, so I'm new to this site and was wondering about fans. I know kind of a weird question but my mijo is gonna be transferred from PVSP to LAC and wants to know if they allow fans. Any help is appreciated.
If it is one of those plug-in plans then yes they should be allowed.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Inmate Family Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie_Wifey View Post
If it is one of those plug-in plans then yes they should be allowed.
Yes they do. I bought one for my husband when his broke down, not too long ago The package companies carry them, you have to buy the fan through them so it is up to regulation.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Inmate Family Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOV3ULOON3Y_831 View Post
Just sent in my visiting form to LAC to my inmate. How long before I get approved? All I have on my record is a theft misdemeanor from 2010... Please and thanks
Usually it takes 3 to 4 weeks or so to hear back, and this can vary greatly, depending on how busy they are, how short staffed they get etc.

If you don't have a "clean record" it will take longer, since they will have to look into it.

A 2010 theft misdemeanor may be a problem. Were you able to get approved? I am curious.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:02 PM

Question B/f just moved to Lancaster / Sad and lost

hi everyone I am new to this. My bf is in prison. He just moved to lancaster and i hate not being able to hear from him. He's been having other people call me to let me know he's ok which is good but i'd rather talk to him ..The person who called me told me it would be a month before he goes to committee which does that mean it will be a month before he can call me?? ugghzzz i hate all this and all this is new to me..any advise on how to keep from loosing my mind lol would be appreciated
Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 PM
his wifey

Thanked 1,512 Times in 799 Posts

He could stay in reception for anywhere from 3-12 months. They're supposed to see them within 3 months but when my husband was there it took him 10 months to mainline. All I can say is if you're close go and visit him. He needs to send you a visitors form and you need to fill it out and return it. All you can do is write but it takes so long for them to receive your letters. You'll get his in about 3 days.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:05 PM

Unhappy

wow that is a long time! thanks for letting me know what to expect. this is going to be a rough road..I don't live close to there which makes it harder. I'm in northern ca and he's in southern ca. He's about a 6 hour drive for me..I am going to go see him when he sends the visiting form but it just won't be as often as i would like too
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonsgirl75 For This Useful Post:
afirsttimer (09-15-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 03:53 PM

this is harder than i thought. I am trying to be strong and know that he is ok but it's hard I don't know how some of you get through not hearing from your partner. I have no one to talk too I do have work to keep me busy but i guess the weekends and nights are my hardest. So until he goes to committee he can't call me? he can only write? I honestly don't know how to get through this alone. I feel like calling the prison and saying wth even in jail you get one phone call lol I know it's prison and things are different.. Sorry all i am just venting.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Inmate Family Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsgirl75 View Post
this is harder than i thought. I am trying to be strong and know that he is ok but it's hard I don't know how some of you get through not hearing from your partner. I have no one to talk too I do have work to keep me busy but i guess the weekends and nights are my hardest. So until he goes to committee he can't call me? he can only write? I honestly don't know how to get through this alone. I feel like calling the prison and saying wth even in jail you get one phone call lol I know it's prison and things are different.. Sorry all i am just venting.
Yes having a loved one incarcerated will be a test of your Faith (and patience, and strength). Right now the best thing you can do is:

1- Keeping very busy and thinking positive.

2- He needs support, so write to him as much as you can right now. Letters are a wonderful way to keep that bond, to express love and support and to share your day with him. But be careful not to vent your prison related frustration, doubts and fears to him. That will only make him more stressed than he already is. So vent to your friends or forum pals here, but not to him.

3- Educate yourself. Take this "time down" to learn all about LAC, and trust me there is a lot to learn, so that will keep you busy for a while!! Each prison is different so there is always a learning curve every time there is a transfer.

4- Try to come down to see him at least once a month, see if you can arrange carpooling with others to save gas $.

5- I am sure waiting time to get into mainline can vary a lot. When my husband transfered to LAC, he was the last of his bus inmate batch to go to committee, but the good news is that even with all that it didn't take him long to mainline. I believe it was about 3 to 4 weeks max. That was about a year ago. So with a little luck, your wait will not be too long.

6- The IFC is here to answer any questions (to the best of our ability), and if you would like our new visiting guide, shoot me a PM and I will send you one. It will be very useful to you when you come to that first visit. While in reception you will only have non contact visits, but at least you get to see him and talk to him for an hour or so. I am sure it will help you both.

Be strong! He is going to need you to be. Good luck to both of you .

The Following User Says Thank You to IFC-LAC For This Useful Post:
noboundries (07-11-2014)
Old 09-15-2013, 12:14 AM
his wifey

Thanked 1,512 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
wow that is a long time! thanks for letting me know what to expect. this is going to be a rough road..I don't live close to there which makes it harder. I'm in northern ca and he's in southern ca. He's about a 6 hour drive for me..I am going to go see him when he sends the visiting form but it just won't be as often as i would like too
Try to come down at least once a month. There is a motel right next to the prison (well up the road) and a walmart, mall and movie theater. That area is not as bad as some prison areas were there is nothing around.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Inmate Family Council

Quote:
.The person who called me told me it would be a month before he goes to committee which does that mean it will be a month before he can call me??
OK Jasonsgirl75 here are a few updates. I spoke with visiting staff yesterday to get the freshest info I could for you:

1- It should not take him much more than a month to be processed into main line. I was told that the shorter and simpler his C-file (Central File), the sooner he would be seen by committee and processed. That usually it will not take longer than 4 weeks, regardless.

2- While in reception he cannot call you.

3- He can however receive your mail.

4- He can also receive visits. These will be one hour non contact visit and can only be once a week. Unlike general population inmates who can receive visits both sat and sun from the same person, reception inmates can only get them either sat OR sun. I assume this is because of the limited number of non contact cubicles available for visits... But I'm speculating. You know what? I'll ask next sat whether there are exception for family members coming from over 250 miles away and who have not visited in the last month. They do make exception for above, in regards to normal week-end visits for gen pop inmates. So maybe they also do for reception inmates, this is a good question and I will ask for you and post here.

5- Once approved to visit LAC, you will need to call to make your appointment, call plenty of time ahead:

•To schedule a non-contact visit, call (661) 729-2000, extension 5401, 5885, 5886, 5887, 5888, or 5889
•All non contact appointments can be made by calling the above extensions on either Thursdays or Fridays between the hours of 8AM and 12PM.
•You may also email: lac.visiting@cdcr.ca.gov Mondays from 6AM to 12PM to book your non contact apt.

6- Lancaster/Palmdale area has a lot to offer in terms of restaurants, places to stay, things to do, entertainment etc. Despite the harsh temps (very HOT in summer months - June thru end of Sept - and pretty COLD and windy the rest of the time) you will enjoy your time spent there. I know this area now like the back of my hand so if you need pointers, feel free to ask. It would be best to have your own transportation, but there is a bus stop right in front of the prison entrance gate, which is very convenient.

7- Once your incarcerated loved one is in mainline he will be able to call you HOWEVER you must have yourself setup with GTL. I recommend you start this process right away, in case it takes time for them to approve you. GTL is the company licensed by LAC to provide outgoing phone lines to the LAC inmate. GTL services many of CA prisons, so you may already be set-up with them. You will still need to call them to inform them he has been transferred so they can adjust your incoming call clearance in their system. If you have never used GTL before then you also need to call them to get set-up, they will walk you thru the process.

GTL CUSTOMER SERVICE:
If you do not have an account with GTL or have other account questions, please contact our customer service department. Monday - Friday
7:00AM to 11:00PM, CT
Saturday and Sunday
8:00AM to 7:00PM, CT
at 1-800-231-0193. Answers to many common questions are available through our automated customer service system. By simply entering your 10-digit telephone number, you will hear information relevant to your issue, and will be directed to the party best able to help you.

GTL website = https://www.correctionsgtl.com/

7- Please PM us so we can send you the brand new, detailed LAC VISITING - STEP BY STEP guide. It's a pdf file download we will email you.

GOOD LUCK! Hope all the above helps.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:32 PM

Has any one had there visits suspended and had to Reply by asking the warden ? What happened and were you approved again or denied
Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Inmate Family Council

Are you referring to family visits or contact visits.

Also, was the visit denied because the inmate got a 115 or because of a behavior he or you had while at visiting?

Lastly, how long are your visits denied for?

If you prefer, PM us and provide details so that we may be able to guide you if possible.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 AM

Default new to lac

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviesita View Post
If you are new to this prison and you have any questions, please use this for any general questions you may have that do not fit in any of the other Q&A threads!

Can any one please tell me about visiting process, without an appt?
I can not get a vpass appt. My husband was just transferred to lac from Corcoran.
Thank you!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 AM

Oh my goodness, im on this forum with my phone. So sorry about my spelling
And grammer. I need help, ive never visited Lancaster my husband has been transferred to Lancaster from Corcoran, can anyone explain in detail what the procedure is to visit without an appointment?
Allot of what ive read covers money, clothing, what u can nd cannot take to a visiting. I just need to know if i should arrive at like 530 or 6 am, and if so where do i park and then what happens?
Thank you
Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 AM

Default new to lac

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviesita View Post

Can any one please tell me about visiting process, without an appt?
I can not get a vpass appt. My husband was just transferred to lac from Corcoran.
Thank you!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:28 AM

Hello ladies, this may be out of subject but I'm wondering if any of you are from AZ? My boyfriend is in Buckeye jail and I would love to carpool there if need be. This is all a bedazzlement to me still!!
The Following User Says Thank You to lvpolo For This Useful Post:
Mvallin (07-13-2014)
Closed Thread