Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Issues with Beto Unit

Just out of curiosity, did anyone here have a LO who had issues while they were at Beto Unit in 2018-present? Iím referring to questionable disciplinaries, treatment toward you or your LO, or anything that was taken to the Ombudsman?

I have a feeling Iím not the only one who has fought this battle.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2019, 11:59 AM
His Honey Bunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lktaque View Post
Just out of curiosity, did anyone here have a LO who had issues while they were at Beto Unit in 2018-present? Iím referring to questionable disciplinaries, treatment toward you or your LO, or anything that was taken to the Ombudsman?

Thanks in advance.
No you are not alone at all. My hubby was transferred to this unit in December of 2018 and itís been nothing but problems. Iíve contacted the Ombudsman at least 3-5 times regarding certain issues at this unit. Even when contacting the ombudsman, they fail to properly investigate these issues which is most likely why they are gunning to separate the Ombudsman and have more of an independent oversight of Texas Prisons. My hubby has been in custody of TDCJ for almost 10 years and we have never had this many issues at his past units only at Beto.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richellehiswife View Post
No you are not alone at all. My hubby was transferred to this unit in December of 2018 and it’s been nothing but problems. I’ve contacted the Ombudsman at least 3-5 times regarding certain issues at this unit. Even when contacting the ombudsman, they fail to properly investigate these issues which is most likely why they are gunning to separate the Ombudsman and have more of an independent oversight of Texas Prisons. My hubby has been in custody of TDCJ for almost 10 years and we have never had this many issues at his past units only at Beto.
Thank you Mrs. Parker. I am still trying to address issues that were taken to the Ombudsman but apparently were never addressed. I am not one to just lay down and take things and they are familiar with me to say the least. All of my issues were when Warden Jackson was still there and conveniently he “retired” shortly after I when up the chain to have these issues addressed.

Would you mind sharing (generally speaking) what issues you are having addressed? Mine are mostly concerning disciplinaries that were issued that should have never occurred had things been handled initially. My LO lost his line class and custody level due to these which in turn has caused a ripple effect. Also any tips on holding them accountable during the process.

Thanks!!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:38 PM
His Honey Bunz

Quote:
Thank you Mrs. Parker. I am still trying to address issues that were taken to the Ombudsman but apparently were never addressed. I am not one to just lay down and take things and they are familiar with me to say the least. All of my issues were when Warden Jackson was still there and conveniently he ďretiredĒ shortly after I when up the chain to have these issues addressed.

Would you mind sharing (generally speaking) what issues you are having addressed? Mine are mostly concerning disciplinaries that were issued that should have never occurred had things been handled initially. My LO lost his line class and custody level due to these which in turn has caused a ripple effect. Also any tips on holding them accountable during the process.

Thanks!!
My hubby was moved to Beto from Jordan unit and warden Jackson came with him from Jordan. We never had problems at Jordan unit like weíve had at Beto. My hubby lost his line class while at the trusty camp a few months after he was transferred. They gave him a major case for disturbing count, he was sleep at the time because they had been overworking him at the farm. They tried to make it seem like he had been smoking but never found anything on him and they couldíve tested him and he wouldíve been clean. Earlier that day another offender was caught with a lighter (actual contraband) and was never moved from the camp or given a case. Everyone whoís come across my hubbyís case said it didnít make sense and it didnít add up. He just met with the IPO on the unit and she asked him to explain this case because it was so unusual compared to the few he had. He was held in solitary for about a month before finally being housed at the main unit. We had another disciplinary case for apparently ďbeing out of placeĒ even though he had an actual pass to go pick up his ecomm as well as a receipt. We fought that one and got it lowered to a minor but in reality there shouldnít have been a case. My hubby has called me about the COís not calling out for school and rolling all the doors how they are supposed to amongst so many other issues which I contacted the ombudsman about all of these issues and they say they are investigating but I donít believe them. They have rights against the way animals are treated but we have loved ones in prison who are being treated the same if not worse. They donít let them shower when they are supposed to, are always behind on count, never get to go to chow on time or anything for that matter. Thereís so much more that happens in there that we probably donít even know about. My hubby is coming up on his first parole review in September and Iím praying that he comes home.

I would love to hear about some of your issues as well. There has to be a way to bring awareness to how our loved ones are being treated because itís just not right.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:53 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,240 Times in 1,343 Posts

There are certain units in the system that have always been a hot bed for any and all problems. Beto is one of them. It's been that way since it's doors opened back in the mid 1970s if I'm not mistaken. I'm not surprised to see this thread, sad as it is to say that.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 PM

My issues were with disciplinaries for failure to groom when every time I came there were at least 3 different people every time who had facial hair. I’m not talking religious related either. I would bring it up every time I visited and it was always dismissed until I started getting the ombudsman involved then all of the sudden my LO got transferred. Now because of all that he’s not in parole review because he lost his line class. We had hired an attorney and everything in hopes he would make parole in August only to find out my concerns were never address. They addressed the medical and diet issues I had pointed out yet never responded either via letter nor email as they had with my other concerns.

The sad thing is when I’ve discussed this with the staff they say thing like it’s a safety risk in the event he attempted to escape. This isn’t his first rodeo and he’s NEVER attempted to escape and honestly he has made it perfectly clear that he’s just trying to do his time and go home. They can look in his file and see that he’s a different man this time around which is a decade later. He can’t get into programs because of this so he’s feeling very defeated right now. I’m just appalled at the lack of taking each person as an individual and a case by case basis along with the fact they have a LO out here who is having to speak on their behalf because everything they are doing on the inside is falling on deaf ears.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
No you're not alone! My son was held for investigation for about 3 months for nothing. The whole unit is a shit hole! Join the Beto family page on Facebook. You will see all the disgusting ways they treat our lo's. Their are some really good people trying to help the guys! No showers, no water, in this horrific heat, keeping them on lockdown all the time because they are so short staffed?! Ugh
Old 07-25-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmom2013 View Post
No you're not alone! My son was held for investigation for about 3 months for nothing. The whole unit is a shit hole! Join the Beto family page on Facebook. You will see all the disgusting ways they treat our lo's. Their are some really good people trying to help the guys! No showers, no water, in this horrific heat, keeping them on lockdown all the time because they are so short staffed?! Ugh
Short staffed 😂! Me and my LO joke about this because how is this our problem or the inmates? They shouldnít be denied things with the justification being short staffed. Either get to hiring or learn how to run the unit accordingly. Short staffed should NOT ever be an excuse but it seems to be there go to excuse. My guess is people donít push these issues when given that excuse when in actuality that should be the reason to push them even more.

Iím about to go check out the Facebook page and thank you for sharing that with me. Iím interested in finding out whatís all on there.
The Following User Says Thank You to lktaque For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,847 Times in 1,323 Posts

My husband was treated like garbage there. Put in seg when he first got there and refused a mattress, lightbulb, and spoon...was literally eating using his ID badge.

He was beaten up by 3 guards after he had some issues with a couple gang members.

Unfair disciplinary actions.

Very rarely did they ever follow the rules letting them in and out of cells when they were supposed to. He had to be prepared to stay in the day room for hours if he went out of his cell. Next to no yard time. Brown drinking water.

And gang activity was off the charts.

One side was better than the other...I cant remember...the north side? When he was in A wing it was barely tolerable. When he moved to J wing it was atrocious. Place needs to be shut down.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
My husband was treated like garbage there. Put in seg when he first got there and refused a mattress, lightbulb, and spoon...was literally eating using his ID badge.

He was beaten up by 3 guards after he had some issues with a couple gang members.

Very rarely did they ever follow the rules letting them in and out of cells when they were supposed to. He had to be prepared to stay in the day room for hours if he went out of his cell. Next to no yard time. Brown drinking water.

One side was better than the other...I cant remember...the north side? When he was in A wing it was barely tolerable. When he moved to J wing it was atrocious. Place needs to be shut down.
This just makes me sick. We dealt with some of that too with gangs and guards. Ad she was no joke and had me wanting to go to Austin not just talk and email the head of the criminal justice committee. The sad thing is at the end of the day they are still human beings and even animals have laws to protect them from treatment like this so why is it acceptable for humans to be treated like this. Absolutely disgusted.
I am glad that he eventually got moved to Coffield however they are short staffed now too and itís starting to go down hill as well.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:08 PM

I have a friend in Beto. They often can't go outdoors because they are short staffed. On visiting day we have never been allowed to go outdoors, I ask why and they say, we are short staffed today. Visits are only allowed on Sat. and Sunday, but the person in charge of handling special visits is not there on the weekend. So if you have an issue after driving thousand miles, call him Monday. Because he must have forgotten to put you on the list for special visits. What? I talked to everyone in authority three times, all they say is no no no. It's like a prison in some third world country. They force you to put any snacks you buy unwrapped on a little plastic plate--and there are flies on the plates.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:07 AM
His Honey Bunz

Itís disgusting to hear how they treat our loved ones in there. Every time my husband calls, Iím afraid heís about to tell me some bad news. They are ALWAYS short staffed and overcrowded. You have 200 plus inmates in a tiny space they call the dayroom, how is that safe and ok for them? No showers, rec time and so much more. About a week ago I think, my hubby told me the power went out and they were locked in their cells sweating profusely due to no central air. Some guys that worked in the kitchen were left there yesterday and ended up kicking a door to get out. My hubby just started his job in the kitchen this past week yet no one told him what he was supposed to be doing, how or when, he just had to learn it on his own and with the help of one other inmate who knew what to do. Our loved ones donít go looking for trouble at this unit but the guards do. The guards will threaten you with a case just by asking them a simple question, it just happened yesterday with my hubby while working in the kitchen. Iím sick of this unit and TDCJ altogether.
dtmom2013 (08-13-2019), lktaque (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richellehiswife View Post
Itís disgusting to hear how they treat our loved ones in there. Every time my husband calls, Iím afraid heís about to tell me some bad news. They are ALWAYS short staffed and overcrowded. You have 200 plus inmates in a tiny space they call the dayroom, how is that safe and ok for them? No showers, rec time and so much more. About a week ago I think, my hubby told me the power went out and they were locked in their cells sweating profusely due to no central air. Some guys that worked in the kitchen were left there yesterday and ended up kicking a door to get out. My hubby just started his job in the kitchen this past week yet no one told him what he was supposed to be doing, how or when, he just had to learn it on his own and with the help of one other inmate who knew what to do. Our loved ones donít go looking for trouble at this unit but the guards do. The guards will threaten you with a case just by asking them a simple question, it just happened yesterday with my hubby while working in the kitchen. Iím sick of this unit and TDCJ altogether.
Mrs.Parker,
So sorry to hear all of this but you were right when you said our LOís donít go looking for trouble but the guards do. What happened to compassion for the human race? Not only TDCJ but this whole world needs help. Itís sad that our officials canít do anything without a bill or a vote.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:22 PM
His Honey Bunz

Quote:
Mrs.Parker,
So sorry to hear all of this but you were right when you said our LOís donít go looking for trouble but the guards do. What happened to compassion for the human race? Not only TDCJ but this whole world needs help. Itís sad that our officials canít do anything without a bill or a vote.
These days there is no compassion at all for the human race. We treat animals better than we treat humans. Iíve said it before, there are laws about treating animals certain ways but you have this messed up system and all it is, is modern day slavery. Our loved ones are already paying for what they've done by being there but to do all these other disgusting things to them is not right. I wish I could do something about this but they will be held accountable and will have to pay for the wrong they do to our loved ones. But you are right it is very sad that we need a bill or vote to get things done.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post

Its the south side thats better than the north side.