Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:39 AM

Total newbie question, but are they going to be integrating any level 4 yards, do you guys reckon?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,264 Times in 7,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
As I haven't spoken to him on the phone for a while I haven't been able to ask him if he got the Prison Law Office form I sent him... I am planning on sending a message to PLO myself based on what he's told me. He says he's stunned at how what's going on in there hasn't gotten out to the media. This is CCC and B yard.
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this Sari. The lack of transparency and choice is what I've heard from everyone I've talked to in person that upsets us most. This could have been a very good thing and instead people are getting hurt.

Good on ya for reaching out to PLO. I don't know who else is wanting to hear this stuff but if anyone is in touch with legislators or folks involved, please let us know who to report to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-04-2019), sidewalker (08-04-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleopatra95 View Post
Total newbie question, but are they going to be integrating any level 4 yards, do you guys reckon?

Fours aren't slated to be integrated as far as we know.

That said, rumors are starting to fly around Level 3 yards that they're next. I don't find anything to substantiate that, but this is coming from staff so...I don't know what to make of it. If anyone finds an updated integration schedule, please share it or let me know so I can.
EDYJO (08-03-2019), sidewalker (08-04-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Site Moderator

*sigh*
In my search for any documented plan to integrate at higher levels, I came across something that speaks to my earlier points. To reiterate: I'm not opposed to integration on a voluntary and transparent level. Particularly with incentives like added programming. I am opposed to forced integration regardless of administration's reasoning.

However, I have said many times that the bulk of issues come from folks holding old-school ideas and acting on them. Sari's report that staff are letting out folks known to want to leave so they can be transferred is frightening but also the exact thing I'm talking about. And it is an embedded ideology sadly supported by those on the outside, as well.
From a Feb 2019 blog posting about integration:

The violent gang environment in prison was created in large part by CDCr’s own policies, which set prisoners against each other along racial lines. In a procedure completely discredited by the prisoners’ own mass movement based on an “Agreement to End Hostilities,” CDCr exacerbated the gang problem by incentivizing snitching.
To get out of solitary, the infamous Institutional Gang Investigators demanded information to use against other prisoners without regard to its validity. CDCr “protected” their growing snitch population by placing them in Special Needs Yards (SNY).

This manifest is now seven years old and applied to long-term SHU residents protesting indeterminate punitive housing. This is OLD thinking and modern propaganda. For those unfamiliar-- former gang members who want to drop out and move sides are processed through a debriefing with IGI. It seems like the process has been lessened in the last five years or so and pressures from IGI are nothing like they used to be. That said, most former gang members know (and knew) to expect intense debriefing. They are pressured to give them something, but it in no way means they 'snitched'. You are not obligated to give them anything, so anything you do give them is of your own choosing. You really think they're in there handing over information that could put their own life at further risk? Ridiculous. As always, you will have outliers. But if this plan by IGI to press out useful information had been successful, there wouldn't be an increase in gang activity.

Second, if you read the 2012 "Agreement to End Hostilities", this is aimed strictly at GP inmates.

3. We also want to warn those in the General Population that IGI will continue to plant undercover Sensitive Needs Yard (SNY) debriefer “inmates” amongst the solid GP prisoners with orders from IGI to be informers, snitches, rats, and obstructionists, in order to attempt to disrupt and undermine our collective groups’ mutual understanding on issues intended for our mutual causes [i.e., forcing CDCR to open up all GP main lines, and return to a rehabilitative-type system of meaningful programs/privileges, including lifer conjugal visits, etc. via peaceful protest activity/noncooperation e.g., hunger strike, no labor, etc. etc.]. People need to be aware and vigilant to such tactics, and refuse to allow such IGI inmate snitches to create chaos and reignite hostilities amongst our racial groups. We can no longer play into IGI, ISU, OCS, and SSU’s old manipulative divide and conquer tactics!!!

With all due respect to those coming here and holding SNY inmates as the threat, I just can’t get on board. Are they defending themselves in physical confrontation? I hope so. Are they poisoning food, raiding GP cells and loading up for a beat down? It doesn’t make sense. According to prison politics they’re already “dirty”. What are they defending? I don’t want to further enforce and us vs them mentality, but I’m not into flaming unfounded fears, particularly when proof of the exact opposite exists.

Whatever your LOs position is regarding integration, I want to ask you to hold them to a higher standard than the words above. CDC hasn’t given any “best” choice here, but if your LO truly does not want to integrate, let them take the write-up over participating in violence. No, I’m not saying that’s fair. No, I’m not OK with punishment for non-participation. But that’s the framework we’re in right now. Either way they’re going to be punished, save the blood for the policy floor and the hands of CDC admin where it belongs.

Last edited by miamac; 08-03-2019 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: format
Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Fours aren't slated to be integrated as far as we know.

That said, rumors are starting to fly around Level 3 yards that they're next. I don't find anything to substantiate that, but this is coming from staff so...I don't know what to make of it. If anyone finds an updated integration schedule, please share it or let me know so I can.

My husband is currently at a level 2 Non-Designated Prison and it’s being going well. At the beginning it was a little rough but I would say the staff did an amazing job at making sure they were all safe. I can only speak on my husband’s yard - It was a smooth transition and so many more programs and things they’re able to do!!

In regards to level 3 being integrated, I read somewhere that there is a level 3 yard that is already integrated. I’m going to ask my husband when he calls - I think he’s the one that told me but I’ll have to double check that!!
miamac (08-03-2019), Sarianna (08-04-2019), sidewalker (08-04-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDYJO View Post
My husband is currently at a level 2 Non-Designated Prison and it’s being going well. At the beginning it was a little rough but I would say the staff did an amazing job at making sure they were all safe. I can only speak on my husband’s yard - It was a smooth transition and so many more programs and things they’re able to do!!

In regards to level 3 being integrated, I read somewhere that there is a level 3 yard that is already integrated. I’m going to ask my husband when he calls - I think he’s the one that told me but I’ll have to double check that!!
Glad to hear it's going well. That's the report we have from our Level 2 friends, as well. I guess we're lucky they were placed where they were as other yards are struggling.

Yes, please do share if you hear of any activity at Level 3. I tried to find anything on it as they had a schedule out for last year's plan, but couldn't find anything.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:54 AM

Thanked 1,088 Times in 513 Posts

Thanks for the update. I’m out of the country and just now trying to catch up. Those ARE gladiator fights, in my opinion. I hope he will report what is going on to the PLO. So far, they have been useless when it comes to addressing the harm done to inmates by forced Integration.

Quote:
My LO hasn't been able to call for almost 2 weeks due to his yard being almost on constant lockdown now (to be fair, he's also working during the daytime and I'm on a different time zone so that plays a small role too for opportunities to try and call if the yard is open for a short moment).

Just got a letter from him in which he tells me they have been having what he calls "controlled riots" = letting people who do not want to program out on the yard with others, have them fight, and those who assault others can then be gotten rid of. He says it doesn't make sense as the numbers are even eg. this yard should be non-designated already, but they keep doing this....to me it sounds an awful lot like gladiator fights which makes my skin crawl. His letter was dated last weekend and he said there had been three riots in two weeks.

As I haven't spoken to him on the phone for a while I haven't been able to ask him if he got the Prison Law Office form I sent him... I am planning on sending a message to PLO myself based on what he's told me. He says he's stunned at how what's going on in there hasn't gotten out to the media. This is CCC and B yard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
guardnangel (08-05-2019), Sarianna (08-15-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 01:32 PM

I don't know what you mean by holding our loved ones to a "higher standard"! I think you were saying that it is not safe for those inside to "snitch"; therefore, "snitching" has been reduced(?)

I think it is important to state that is not safe for many of our loved ones to refuse to fight. I am referring to prison politics inside as well as consequences they may later face once they are out. It is also not safe to refuse to defend oneself. Furthermore, constant writeups for failure to agree to voluntarily integrate can result in a prisoner not ever getting out! So I don't understand your reasoning.

In my perspective, forced Integration is a lose-lose proposition for people on both "sides". We cannot logically compare what is happening now with the Agreement to Cease Hostilities. Different time, different process. Some prisoners lost their lives during that process. CDCR is squarely responsible for forcing people who have been kept separate for two decades, who have considered each other to be enemies, to suddenly "safely" Integrate. I would never presume to blame inmates for circumstances they were thrown into, each side feeling they must defend themselves, due to pressures from their own peer group within prison and from the other "side". For those who have been able to manage their situations without injuries, "snitching" or writeups, I am glad for them. However, many inmates find themselves in circumstances that prevent them from avoiding violence and possible injury or, alternatively, that lead to writeups, loss of parole and being sent to Ad Seg or a SHU!!

Quote:
*sigh*
In my search for any documented plan to integrate at higher levels, I came across something that speaks to my earlier points. To reiterate: I'm not opposed to integration on a voluntary and transparent level. Particularly with incentives like added programming. I am opposed to forced integration regardless of administration's reasoning.

However, I have said many times that the bulk of issues come from folks holding old-school ideas and acting on them. Sari's report that staff are letting out folks known to want to leave so they can be transferred is frightening but also the exact thing I'm talking about. And it is an embedded ideology sadly supported by those on the outside, as well.
From a Feb 2019 blog posting about integration:

The violent gang environment in prison was created in large part by CDCr’s own policies, which set prisoners against each other along racial lines. In a procedure completely discredited by the prisoners’ own mass movement based on an “Agreement to End Hostilities,” CDCr exacerbated the gang problem by incentivizing snitching.
To get out of solitary, the infamous Institutional Gang Investigators demanded information to use against other prisoners without regard to its validity. CDCr “protected” their growing snitch population by placing them in Special Needs Yards (SNY).

This manifest is now seven years old and applied to long-term SHU residents protesting indeterminate punitive housing. This is OLD thinking and modern propaganda. For those unfamiliar-- former gang members who want to drop out and move sides are processed through a debriefing with IGI. It seems like the process has been lessened in the last five years or so and pressures from IGI are nothing like they used to be. That said, most former gang members know (and knew) to expect intense debriefing. They are pressured to give them something, but it in no way means they 'snitched'. You are not obligated to give them anything, so anything you do give them is of your own choosing. You really think they're in there handing over information that could put their own life at further risk? Ridiculous. As always, you will have outliers. But if this plan by IGI to press out useful information had been successful, there wouldn't be an increase in gang activity.

Second, if you read the 2012 "Agreement to End Hostilities", this is aimed strictly at GP inmates.

3. We also want to warn those in the General Population that IGI will continue to plant undercover Sensitive Needs Yard (SNY) debriefer “inmates” amongst the solid GP prisoners with orders from IGI to be informers, snitches, rats, and obstructionists, in order to attempt to disrupt and undermine our collective groups’ mutual understanding on issues intended for our mutual causes [i.e., forcing CDCR to open up all GP main lines, and return to a rehabilitative-type system of meaningful programs/privileges, including lifer conjugal visits, etc. via peaceful protest activity/noncooperation e.g., hunger strike, no labor, etc. etc.]. People need to be aware and vigilant to such tactics, and refuse to allow such IGI inmate snitches to create chaos and reignite hostilities amongst our racial groups. We can no longer play into IGI, ISU, OCS, and SSU’s old manipulative divide and conquer tactics!!!

With all due respect to those coming here and holding SNY inmates as the threat, I just can’t get on board. Are they defending themselves in physical confrontation? I hope so. Are they poisoning food, raiding GP cells and loading up for a beat down? It doesn’t make sense. According to prison politics they’re already “dirty”. What are they defending? I don’t want to further enforce and us vs them mentality, but I’m not into flaming unfounded fears, particularly when proof of the exact opposite exists.

Whatever your LOs position is regarding integration, I want to ask you to hold them to a higher standard than the words above. CDC hasn’t given any “best” choice here, but if your LO truly does not want to integrate, let them take the write-up over participating in violence. No, I’m not saying that’s fair. No, I’m not OK with punishment for non-participation. But that’s the framework we’re in right now. Either way they’re going to be punished, save the blood for the policy floor and the hands of CDC admin where it belongs.
The Following User Says Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
guardnangel (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8899 View Post
I don't know what you mean by holding our loved ones to a "higher standard"! I think you were saying that it is not safe for those inside to "snitch"; therefore, "snitching" has been reduced(?)
By higher standard I mean that initiating physical fighting as a first line is not what I would want my loved one to choose. I would support him taking a write-up and the consequences that go with it if it meant keeping him and other inmates physically safe. I'm not OK with the punitive measures that come with refusal to integrate, as I have repeatedly said. But short of getting CDC to change that framework, that's what we have.

I've not said anything about my opinion on snitching. It was the 2012 manifest written by GP inmates that focused on SNY as snitches and how that continues to promote the idea that SNY inmates are "dirty".

Quote:
I I think it is important to state that is not safe for many of our loved ones to refuse to fight. I am referring to prison politics inside as well as consequences they may later face once they are out. It is also not safe to refuse to defend oneself. Furthermore, constant writeups for failure to agree to voluntarily integrate can result in a prisoner not ever getting out! So I don't understand your reasoning.
I specifically said that I hoped folks WOULD defend themselves. But defending yourself means that you were not the instigator. This misguided approach by CDC isn't worth dying over. If my husband ends up serving out his whole sentence in the SHU for refusing, I still have my husband and he still has his moral compass. If he walks onto a yard and instigates a fight, we risk losing both.

Quote:
. Furthermore, constant writeups for failure to agree to voluntarily integrate can result in a prisoner not ever getting out! So I don't understand your reasoning.
Part of my reasoning is this: when you refuse to integrate and receive a 115, it is documented as are any appeals to that 115. That creates a hard-evidence trail for people trying to prove that CDC is forcing integration for no other reason than they can.

When people do integrate (to avoid the write-up) and choose to INSTIGATE fighting or problematic behaviour, the onus is entirely on them when it comes to their record.

Which do you think will better assist activist in getting this stopped?

Hundreds of inmates in the SHU for peacefully refusing to integrate or hundreds of write-ups for inmates doing what society expects inmates to do and knock each other around?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
In my perspective, forced Integration is a lose-lose proposition for people on both "sides". We cannot logically compare what is happening now with the Agreement to Cease Hostilities. Different time, different process. Some prisoners lost their lives during that process.
But that's exactly what's happening.

The blog that I referred to was written by someone outside quoting the Agreement just a few months ago! If it was an archaic mindset, this whole thing would be a non-issue.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:43 PM

My l.o. fought back when an inmate from SNY came at him aggressively the same day the unit was Integrated. My l.o. did nothing wrong. As for the SNY person, I have no idea why he did what he did. I don’t see the point in trying to get inside his head and blame him, either. He could have had mental health issues; he could have misread the situation. I maintain this is a lose-lose, ugly policy that beings no simple choices or solutions. CDCR has created it, I believe, as an institution striving to maintain revenue-producing bodies in its custody. It is counting on Integration and gladiator fights (“Incremental Release”) to maintain homeostasis, after recent legislation has threatened to reduce its population.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
JessesGirl2022 (08-09-2019), miamac (08-09-2019), Sarianna (08-16-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:08 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
My l.o. fought back when an inmate from SNY came at him aggressively the same day the unit was Integrated. My l.o. did nothing wrong. As for the SNY person, I have no idea why he did what he did. I don’t see the point in trying to get inside his head and blame him, either. He could have had mental health issues; he could have misread the situation. I maintain this is a lose-lose, ugly policy that beings no simple choices or solutions. CDCR has created it, I believe, as an institution striving to maintain revenue-producing bodies in its custody. It is counting on Integration and gladiator fights (“Incremental Release”) to maintain homeostasis, after recent legislation has threatened to reduce its population.
I absolutely agree. When short-term CDC secretary Kernan was brought in (2016-2018), it was highlighted (at least here on PTO, I can't speak to other venues) that his background alone was cause for concern. He now serves on the board of directors for GEO Corp and his wife has worked for GEO Corp in business development for more than eight years. He was put in place to enact policies that would ensure population levels consistent with the expectations of stock holders in private corrections. Long-term planning isn't lost on CDC.

They are breaking their own regulations (omitting the process of informing inmates of planned integration through a series of meetings and transparent expectations). When I said I would ask folks not to fight but to leave the blood on the hands of policy makers, that's what I meant. I would never ask someone to not defend themselves.

I'm so very sorry that your husband was physically attacked. This is an outcome I would not wish for anyone's loved one. Unfortunately, we have a strong population outside of prison walls continuing to encourage old thinking and sadly there are a number of long-term offenders without outside support who cling to that mentality in the absence of something stronger. CDC has chosen to put profit over rehabilitation.We all want our loved ones to come home. I want your husband to be safe and see his release date. We're on the same side and perhaps my outrage is misdirected because the folks acting out aren't here anyway. But I feel compelled to share my feelings-- if no one would initiate violence, CDC cannot hold it over them. The public cannot judge them for it. They stay physically safe. As base as that goal is, it's the only one that matters. No amount of programming is useful to a person no longer able to physically function.

Last edited by miamac; 08-09-2019 at 04:10 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (08-10-2019), Sarianna (08-15-2019), sidewalker (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 06:57 PM

We probably mostly agree; however, I believe CDCR is violating its alleged desire to maintain safety in our prison population, in accordance with its own policies and the Eighth Amendment--purposefully setting up inmates (on both sides) to be injured as well as punished for self-defense. It has also knowingly ignored the reality of inside politics--which is that for many inmates, those who refuse to fight will bear consequences from inside, from their own peer group. It is an ugly part of the inside world that most of us will never fully understand. CDCR is well aware of the risk to anyone who lives under this kind of pressure and the fact that those inmates face a Catch 22--damned if you do and damned if you don't fight.

When we met with Ralph Diaz, I made the point about maintaining homeostasis through this policy (Integration), and he actually nodded and didn't say anything. I'm curious to find out more about Kernan's job with GEO Corp. You say "he was put in place to enact policies that would ensure population levels consistent with the expectations of stock holders in private corrections." I can believe that. I would like to know if there is a link to an article somewhere that supports that assertion.
miamac (08-10-2019), Sarianna (08-15-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
I would like to know if there is a link to an article somewhere that supports that assertion.
Truthfully that's just my assessment. If you click the link in my last post that says "now", it shows his last hiring contract/disclosure statement with GEO.

Kernan worked for CDC long before he took the role of secretary, but it's my opinion that given his exposure to private correction practices, CDC saw that as a bonus while up against fed oversight and an onslaught of divesting movements.

I'll be gone tomorrow but this coming week I'll dig around and see if I can find anything not compiled by CDC or GEO having to do with his position.
marie8899 (08-10-2019), Sarianna (08-15-2019), sidewalker (08-11-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
You say "he was put in place to enact policies that would ensure population levels consistent with the expectations of stock holders in private corrections." I can believe that. I would like to know if there is a link to an article somewhere that supports that assertion.
Ok, so I realize this doesn't convict him of anything, but this is what stood out to me when he was selected by Brown and by his short duration. Remembering that CDC was under incredible pressure by the Feds at the time to get their %*@& together, they needed to cut costs and population numbers. Who does that better than someone familiar with cutting costs but assuring a steady market for your 'product'? It's not illegal to move around in your field and it's fiscally, on paper, perhaps the smartest thing Brown could do. But it's not rocket science that the man who left private prison contract work to come back to CDC only to return to private contract work would have population retention as one of his less-public goals. Take it for what it's worth, it's my opinion afterall.

Private Prison Company Finds Gold in California, Jan 2010
In the intensifying debate over budget-driven releases of state prison inmates, the state’s cash problems are well known. But at least one private correctional company is reaping major rewards.
In three years, a private-prison construction and management company, the Corrections Corporation of America, has seen the value of its contracts with the state soar from nearly $23 million in 2006 to about $700 million three months ago – all without competitive bidding. Even in a state accustomed to high-dollar contracts, the 31-fold increase over three years is dramatic.
[…]
But the state and the company note CCA’s ability to respond quickly and efficiently to California’s prison overcrowding emergency. “We couldn’t be happier with their (CCA’s) responsiveness and performance,” said Scott Kernan, the undersecretary for operations at the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Jerry Brown Taps Insider Scott Kernan as New California Prisons Chief, Dec 2016
From 2011-15, Kernan ran a corrections consulting company from his home in West Sacramento. Corrections spokesman Jeffrey Callison said during that time that Kernan worked as a subcontractor for others who held contracts with the state corrections agency.

Those companies have held some of the biggest contracts with the state prison system. They include Satellite Tracking of People (STOP), whose GPS devices are used by the state to monitor sex offenders on parole. During Kernan’s prior tenure with the corrections department, STOP acquired the entire state contract from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation after a controversial internal testing program found its competitor’s GPS devices were faulty.

Callison said Kernan also did work for private prison contractor Corrections Corp. of America, which California pays to house some 7,300 inmates in prisons in Arizona and Mississippi and at a private prison in California City.

[…]“He has the experience and the know-how to do what needs to be done,” [Gov. Jerry] Brown said in a statement released by his office.
marie8899 (08-15-2019), Sarianna (08-15-2019), sidewalker (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:32 AM

Thank you for the research!
miamac (08-15-2019), Sarianna (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 03:09 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,730 Times in 2,063 Posts

In his latest letter my LO tells me he hasn't been out in weeks and the place feels like a pressure cooker. Someone who visited CCC recently shared it with me that there are signs outside of A and B yards: the sign for A yard says "Non-Designated" and for B yard it now says "General Population". I don't understand.....what happened to B yard being ND starting last March? This sucks as my LO is unable to call, so any information I get from him is scattered and he's starting to appear depressed & scattered himself, so I don't even want to push him for information anymore, just trying to assure him we will get through this

I don't know if he's aware of the "GP status" of his yard, he's SNY himself, and I just got this information myself couple of days ago. I've just had surgery and am on sick leave with not much energy right now...but I'm trying to put up a plan for whom to contact without causing issues for my LO. It's just very slow as we're on letter basis right now and I don't want to do anything without getting his okay for it.

Hang in there everyone who's going through this

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
guardnangel (08-16-2019), marie8899 (08-16-2019), sidewalker (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 03:12 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Quote:
I maintain this is a lose-lose, ugly policy that beings no simple choices or solutions. CDCR has created it, I believe, as an institution striving to maintain revenue-producing bodies in its custody. It is counting on Integration and gladiator fights (“Incremental Release”) to maintain homeostasis, after recent legislation has threatened to reduce its population.
Well said!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the update. I am so sorry to hear this, as far as your loved one is concerned. So he is in B yard, where it says General Population, but he is SNY? Does not make sense. If he is not feeling safe, he should definitely request a transfer to the other yard. I guess he will let you know, directly or indirectly, in his letters, what is going on.

From the perspective of those of us who have GP loved ones, I am glad to hear of a unit which is now designated General Population, which will be safer for all. But I wonder about unannounced policy changes which most of us have not heard of. I hope your l.o. will be okay. Keep us posted. From my perspective, if some are unsafe, all are unsafe, and I personally wish the best for all.

Quote:
In his latest letter my LO tells me he hasn't been out in weeks and the place feels like a pressure cooker. Someone who visited CCC recently shared it with me that there are signs outside of A and B yards: the sign for A yard says "Non-Designated" and for B yard it now says "General Population". I don't understand.....what happened to B yard being ND starting last March? This sucks as my LO is unable to call, so any information I get from him is scattered and he's starting to appear depressed & scattered himself, so I don't even want to push him for information anymore, just trying to assure him we will get through this

I don't know if he's aware of the "GP status" of his yard, he's SNY himself, and I just got this information myself couple of days ago. I've just had surgery and am on sick leave with not much energy right now...but I'm trying to put up a plan for whom to contact without causing issues for my LO. It's just very slow as we're on letter basis right now and I don't want to do anything without getting his okay for it.

Hang in there everyone who's going through this
guardnangel (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 PM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Quote:
So he is in B yard, where it says General Population, but he is SNY? Does not make sense.
Yup, the same yard that was supposed be integrated in March already. He's been there since early June and recognised upon his arrival that the yard was going through "growing pains" with this integration...but he was hopeful it'd be all settled in couple of months. He himself has not mentioned anything about this alleged new GP status of this yard, I got this info from someone who visited recently and whom I believe I can trust. My LO wrote in a letter couple of weeks ago that 1/3 of this yard refuses to program....and those inmates had been kept separate from the others except for those fights lately allowed by the staff...which I mentioned in one of my previous posts. Apparently the 'non-programmers' get "accidental" access to the yard...and fights follow. I don't know really how unsafe my fiancé feels....I think he keeps a lot from me as not to worry me -- so I was a bit freaked out when he said in his last letter "if something does happen to me....raise hell"

The IFC will have their meeting with CCC on the 30th so I'm hoping I'll hear what's being discussed in that meeting about the integration at CCC. I have my contact info ready for the Ombudsman & the Warden as well as PLO....just want a go head from my guy first.

I feel the same as you about safety for everyone. I am so tired of this whole madness.....I've read about prisons being horrible in South Africa....it's insane to me that in the States something like this is happening in today's world and nobody can do anything about it. I hope from the bottom of my heart that everyone's loved ones remain safe regardless of their GP or SNY status....just want people to be safe. It is hard to believe how CDCR can get away with something like this

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
guardnangel (08-16-2019), marie8899 (08-16-2019), sidewalker (08-17-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I am so sorry to hear this, as far as your loved one is concerned. So he is in B yard, where it says General Population, but he is SNY? Does not make sense.
I don't know if this applies, but I'll toss it in here. I received a copy of a friend's CRA (risk assessment/psych eval) and he has been SNY for years and years until he moved to a Level 2 integrated yard roughly 7-8 months ago. The psych eval lists him as a GP inmate. In fourteen pages, zero mention of SNY status. I assumed they only meant that in comparison to an EOP inmate. But that's a double use of terminology and very confusing.

Sari, I'm so sorry to hear your update. I know this has to be putting a lot of strain on your already long-distance relationship. I'm thinking of you and hoping something shifts soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear it's going well. That's the report we have from our Level 2 friends, as well. I guess we're lucky they were placed where they were as other yards are struggling.

Yes, please do share if you hear of any activity at Level 3. I tried to find anything on it as they had a schedule out for last year's plan, but couldn't find anything.
My husband is in Corcoran, level 3 and it was an SNY yard until about 6 weeks or so ago... Things were going okay for him at first but he just rolled it up on Friday becauses of some "active GP" guys that knew him from another prison "back in the day" got moved in. AFter that, someone slipped a kite under his door saying this was a heads-up that he's gonna get hit for some b.s. that happened another prison when he was there YEARS ago!!! He tried to maintain and feel things out for a few days but things started getting weird. He's supposed to parole in less than 9 months and fears that if he protects himself, he'll have to stay longer. So he just basically said, "Fuck this. I gotta go cuz I want to go home!"

I don't have any thing on paper that says Corcoran has a non-designated level 3 yard but they just started it. It's yard 3A

He gave me his name 2.26.2010

Last edited by JCJP2009; 08-18-2019 at 07:23 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JCJP2009 For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (08-19-2019), sidewalker (08-19-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Just an FYI for all of you families out there who have absolutely zero actual clue of what is going on with the NDPF transition.

Your "Loved Ones" have to make a decision.

"Program" which means get along with every race, religion, gender, creed or be classified as Non Programmer.

Every Inmate who is claiming "GP" is participating in active gang controlled programming yards. They consist of Active Southside Mexicans, Northern Mexicans, Bulldogs, Arian Brotherhood, Various White Gangs, Crips, Bloods, you name it.

They will swear to you that they are being treated unfairly and that they are the victims. They are NOT the victims, they are the victimizers. Dont let them lie to you and try and gain your sympathy. They know exactly what they are doing.

NDPF yards have been created to reward inmates who want to do their time and distance their selves from gang activity. The only reason your loved ones are against it is because they are scared of the unknown, or are following the gangs demands to stay "solid". Every yard that deactivates is a blow to the gangs pocket books, because their own inmate politics (Gangster Code) dont allow them to be on the same yard as inmates they ran off the yards (SNY or Gang Drop Outs). You best believe this, your "Loved One" is making the choice to remain active, and a program failure because of their inability to be men and choose their family over their homies.
The Following User Says Thank You to PapaSmurf For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Now that was a non-helpful, inaccurate and polarizing statement, if I ever heard one. I could cite many on the GP side who feel they have been hurt by SNY groups and/or policies that favor SNY. What is the point? To foment more animosity between prisoners and their families? You actually have no right to assert that another's love one is a "victimizer" simply because they are GP. I don't agree with those who try to blame either side, GP or SNY, for everything.

The common denominator here are purposefully designed policies of CDCR, which are divisive, dangerous and harmful to those who just want to go home. That was what happened to my loved one. He was ready to go home, with no writeups during his entire time in prison. He, like everyone else on both sides, had every right to defend himself. I know of others who had previous good behavior inside and who were forced to deal with a violent situation imposed on their yards, or were falsely accused by CDCR, or were injured during Integration. If you really understood inside politics, you would not make sweeping and destructive assertions. Furthermore, this is a forum designed to support those who have loved ones inside, no matter what their designation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Just an FYI for all of you families out there who have absolutely zero actual clue of what is going on with the NDPF transition.

Your "Loved Ones" have to make a decision.

"Program" which means get along with every race, religion, gender, creed or be classified as Non Programmer.

Every Inmate who is claiming "GP" is participating in active gang controlled programming yards. They consist of Active Southside Mexicans, Northern Mexicans, Bulldogs, Arian Brotherhood, Various White Gangs, Crips, Bloods, you name it.

They will swear to you that they are being treated unfairly and that they are the victims. They are NOT the victims, they are the victimizers. Dont let them lie to you and try and gain your sympathy. They know exactly what they are doing.

NDPF yards have been created to reward inmates who want to do their time and distance their selves from gang activity. The only reason your loved ones are against it is because they are scared of the unknown, or are following the gangs demands to stay "solid". Every yard that deactivates is a blow to the gangs pocket books, because their own inmate politics (Gangster Code) dont allow them to be on the same yard as inmates they ran off the yards (SNY or Gang Drop Outs). You best believe this, your "Loved One" is making the choice to remain active, and a program failure because of their inability to be men and choose their family over their homies.

Last edited by marie8899; 08-19-2019 at 10:20 AM..
guardnangel (08-19-2019)