Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 1 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 1 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities: Apalachee-E CI, Apalachee-W CI, Bay CF, Blackwater River CF, Calhoun CI, Century CI, Franklin CI, Gadsden CF, Gadsden Re-Entry Center, Graceville CF, Gulf CI, Gulf CI-Annex, Holmes CI Jackson CI Jefferson CI Liberty CI NWFRC NWFRC Annex Okaloosa CI Quincy Annex Santa Rosa CI Santa Rosa Annex Wakulla CI Wakulla CI Annex Walton CI

Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Default In Graceville, offering "unknown" everglades program?

My son finally made it to his permanent camp in Graceville a week ago. I just got my first letter from him yesterday. My son said that while speaking with his classification officer, my son explained that he was raised in south florida and will return to martin county,but lived the last 7 or so years in north fl. His classification officer asked him if he would be interested in a program in the everglades, but wouldn't tell him what the program was, or anything about it, just kept smiling...and finally said the last 5 people he sent came back and said they couldn't do a program like that. My son asked why he wouldn't give him details, and he said he wasn't allowed, then my son asked why he would offer it to him and he said it was because he was required to. Excuse my french, but WTF? Does anyone have any idea what he is talking about?
We were hoping he'd be sent to Graceville and are pleased he is there.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 PM

That's messed up....but sounds like DOC. I wish my husband was in region 1 but they sent him to region 2.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,337 Times in 2,895 Posts

It sounds kind of fishy to me, but then a lot of what goes on inside DOC often sounds fishy at first and turns out to be true later.

The equivalent of "Hey buddy, wanna job? Can't tell you what the job is or why you'll be doing it or what the pay is, but you can have the job if you want it." *I* certainly wouldn't bite that hook!
Old 01-25-2019, 04:49 PM

The program is the honor program. Its getting a slow start.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
Browsin4287 (01-29-2019), GingerM (01-26-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:45 AM

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
It sounds kind of fishy to me, but then a lot of what goes on inside DOC often sounds fishy at first and turns out to be true later.

The equivalent of "Hey buddy, wanna job? Can't tell you what the job is or why you'll be doing it or what the pay is, but you can have the job if you want it." *I* certainly wouldn't bite that hook!
LOL, we both had that same reaction. I found info on it, it seems to be legit (though I'm still not sure why his classifications officer would act so shady about it). It would get him much closer to home for visits, but Graceville has more vocational programs than the honor program does. He's decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth and take advantage of what's offered where he is now. I'll just be doing a lot of driving for the next five years. It'll be worth it if it gets him a better life outside later. Thank you so much for the helpful responses!
The Following User Says Thank You to Browsin4287 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (01-31-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:52 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,205 Times in 15,739 Posts

Florida Cares has posted some info about a new program at Everglades: The Ambassador Project. It was implemented in December.

''PRISON REFORM TAKING PLACE INSIDE FLORIDA PRISON''

MIAMI- In 2018 the Department of Corrections (DOC) selected Everglades Correctional Institution (ECI) in Miami as the first ''incentivized'' prison in Florida. From a statewide population of close to 100,000 inmates, 1500 were chosen from thousands that applied. All were required to meet certain guidelines and have clear disciplinary records. The expectation was that a compound of carefully selected individuals and a greatly reduced incidence of drug use and gang activity would foster an environment conducive to personal growth, education, and rehabilitation.

Read entire article HERE.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
MPsQueen (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:54 PM

Thanks! Wonderful news, both the incentive program and ambassador. How wonderful to know inmates are being heard. I don't know how I missed this in Florida cares- thanks for posting it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Browsin4287 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-22-2019)