Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,317 Times in 12,333 Posts

The fart police at work. I guess it's better than having a fight break out for passing gas in the cell, which definitely can happen. It sounds like the only approved venues are the rest room or outside.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2019, 02:16 AM
Married May 27, 2017!

My husband is being threatened with being beat up if he doesn't produce his papers. He doesn't want to. What can be done to protect him?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
My husband is being threatened with being beat up if he doesn't produce his papers. He doesn't want to. What can be done to protect him?
His only option is the "Check-in" and place himself in the SHU under protective custody.

He is placed between a rock and a hard place. If he decides to inform on who exactly is threatening him he might be labeled a "Rat" or a "snitch" and will face worse reprisals from the inmate population when he leaves SHU

We still place people in PC even if they don't inform who is threatening them. But well its a pain ether way.

The other option is to show his papers. But if he is a sex offender or testified against his co-defendants, well things still do not look good in gen-pop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-14-2019), Ms Sunny (03-14-2019), Scott (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I agree, he can either check into protective custody and try to get a prison transfer (unlikely if they only demanded his paperwork), or stand up to the bullies, which could result in a fight or a beating. If he is either a SO, or a "cooperator", it is what it is I'm afraid.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:55 AM

I would think standing up for himself and possibly taking the beating would be the only way he could get any respect, they won’t keep him in P.C. forever, so if he has SO or something else in his papers, and he doesn’t stick up for himself, it’s just going to be a cycle of him checking in, back to GP, repeat! Sorry it’s really such a bad situation.

OWL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
Bikerguy (03-15-2019), fbopnomore (03-15-2019), Scott (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
I would think standing up for himself and possibly taking the beating would be the only way he could get any respect, they wonít keep him in P.C. forever, so if he has SO or something else in his papers, and he doesnít stick up for himself, itís just going to be a cycle of him checking in, back to GP, repeat! Sorry itís really such a bad situation.
The problem is that he is 125 pounds soaking wet. If he gets beaten he will likely be killed
Old 03-16-2019, 05:47 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Nobody can tell him what to do, he will have to decide that himself. He is in an awful situation with no "good" options, so he needs to do whatever he thinks is best. Many people decide that option is protective custody.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:56 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,298 Times in 4,289 Posts

It sounds like he has few options so protective custody would seem like his best option.You must be very worried I hope there is a safe resolution.
What are his chances of requesting a transfer?

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:34 AM

Transfers are difficult to get. The prison has to insure that there is no other option.

That usually includes spending quite a bit of time in the SHU.

But the problem is the "paper-check" usually will happen every where he goes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-16-2019), maytayah (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 PM

The Prisons are aware that paper checks happen all the time, why don’t they end the paperwork? It would end the checks

OWL
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM

The discussion highlights the fact that prison is an upaside-down society unto itself in which certain things occur, or have to occur, that would have no place or equivalent in free society. In the case of bullying, an inamte is faced with one of two 'choices': 1) get in trouble as he stands up for himself and risk a fight (and major injury or death); or 2) get in trouble as he asks for protection from the authorities and risk a fight and endless persecution at the hands of other prisoners (because he is labeled a snitch, even if he wasn't one).

I am not sure ending paperwork would have much of an imapct. Prisoners have outside contacts (family, friends, associates) whom they ask to look things up online, including looking up someone's charges.

It is a terrible and sick world, in wihch the worst of human propensities are fed. Intrigue, drama, gossip, posturing and violence are all these men have to entertain themselves with.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Taliba00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-17-2019), Itshardtowait (03-18-2019), Ms Sunny (03-17-2019), sass4221 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
The Prisons are aware that paper checks happen all the time, why donít they end the paperwork? It would end the checks
That is hard to do, mainly because most inmates I come across have a copy of their case. They have it because the day someone arrives in a prison they are already working on an appeal. They need legal paperwork for that.

it does not matter if the person has 2 years, 20 years or life. People fight and they fight with appeals to lower their sentence. Sometimes it works, sometimes I doesn't, all they can do is try.

But to try they need their paperwork.....

But even without paperwork, inmates have access to contraband cell phones and they can google any information they want on those phones. a lot of stuff can come up.

IF not that, they have people outside that can do some digging, if they really want to.
fbopnomore (03-17-2019), Itshardtowait (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:22 PM

I've some new questions for you:

When I visited a max-security prison, after clearing the original screening, I was led with other visitors across a "no-mans land" to another building where the visiting room was located. We had to walk single file behind an officer. I was really scared, conscious of the big observation towers around. I felt there was guns pointed at me. My question is: are there officers in those towers watching us crossing over the area? Would officers shoot people or inmates from the towers if there was anything spotted that was a security risk?

Another question: if inmates get in a fight, do officers intervene to separate them, or is there an alarm button that calls other officers to help?

Finally: do you think that lock-downs are effective or do they agitate inmates and make them more aggressive?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I'm just an ex con, not a corrections officer, but using lethal force against visitors doesn't sound plausible to me. Each prison system has their own set of rules on "use of force" and guns are always the last resort.

The same is true about intervening in fights, some prisons allow (require?) single COs to attempt to break them up, but others have orders to wait until help arrives. COs in US federal prisons carry radios equipped with emergency alarm buttons.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carm2405 View Post
I've some new questions for you:

When I visited a max-security prison, after clearing the original screening, I was led with other visitors across a "no-mans land" to another building where the visiting room was located. We had to walk single file behind an officer. I was really scared, conscious of the big observation towers around. I felt there was guns pointed at me. My question is: are there officers in those towers watching us crossing over the area? Would officers shoot people or inmates from the towers if there was anything spotted that was a security risk?

Another question: if inmates get in a fight, do officers intervene to separate them, or is there an alarm button that calls other officers to help?

Finally: do you think that lock-downs are effective or do they agitate inmates and make them more aggressive?
Those towers do have guns and an array of non lethal options too. I don't doubt they glanced over in your direction, but their main focus is what is going on in the yard during recreation. I'm sure they glance at you on the way in and especially on the way out. But there really is nothing that you would do to attract their attention.

As for shooting inmates. There is a use of force model and an escalation of force model used and is dependent on the prison itself.

The lethal option is always the last option. There is pepper balls, flash grenades and a whole host of things available to use.

Officers do intervine during fighrs, rules dictate when and how. That is something I really can't get into.

Lockdowns serve a purpose. Many people don't understand it.

Let's just say two inmates got into a fight on the yard. A black guy and a white guy. Both walk away injured, one more than another. Both get thrown in the SHU because of the fight. But then the whole unit or even the prison goes on lockdown.

Wait what? Why? The two fighters are already locked up. Why punish everyone? Well what if the fight is not over? Everyone belongs to a gang...what if now we have a huge turf war starting between the blacks and the whites? What if the next day one group is going to go out for revenge? We don't know what is going to happen. So everyone stays locked up untill it gets sorted out.

We find out if our fighters have gang ties, we might talk to gang leaders or snitches, find out if there is tension. And also hope a week or two locked up cools some heads.

I've seen brawls break out over a pair of sneakers. A Spanish kid stole a pair of sneakers from a black inmate. Now both sides have to stand up. 30-40 dudes on each side flexing just because one kid stole some $40 sneakers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
carm2405 (03-20-2019), fbopnomore (03-19-2019), KiwiPP (03-19-2019), marco1969 (03-20-2019), miamac (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,657 Times in 7,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
I've seen brawls break out over a pair of sneakers. A Spanish kid stole a pair of sneakers from a black inmate. Now both sides have to stand up. 30-40 dudes on each side flexing just because one kid stole some $40 sneakers.
Unless he was from Spain, he's Latino or Hispanic. (I know, off-topic but it's a pet peeve of mine)
Thank you for explaining the "why". We get that question a lot here and I've always said I would rather mine be locked down for 90 days for something that had absolutely nothing to do with him if it meant that he didn't get injured over something that had absolutely nothing to do with him. I'm a big girl, I know how to write letters and wait to see him. Phone calls and visits aren't worth his life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-19-2019), KiwiPP (03-19-2019), marco1969 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 07:28 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
It sounds like he has few options so protective custody would seem like his best option.You must be very worried I hope there is a safe resolution.
What are his chances of requesting a transfer?
He has to get back into his program (that he has already completed twice) to be eligible to see parole. His program is at a different prison. He is currently on the wait list. Could be two months, could be two years, they take who they want to take currently.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post

Wait what? Why? The two fighters are already locked up. Why punish everyone? Well what if the fight is not over? Everyone belongs to a gang...what if now we have a huge turf war starting between the blacks and the whites? What if the next day one group is going to go out for revenge? We don't know what is going to happen. So everyone stays locked up untill it gets sorted out.
Okay, I understand this... but I thought that the prisons have different sections (units/wings) and inmates in different areas don't have contact with each other... so if "A" has a fight and needs lock-down, then why lock up wing "B", "C" and "D" as well?? Isn't it true that oftentimes inmates don't know why they are being locked down??
Suppose if contraband was found in one area, would the whole prison be locked down also?
Old 03-20-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma4us View Post
My son has been in a state minimum security, STG-free prison for >5 years now. We (Mom and Dad) visit at least 3-5 times/month and at least once/month we bring our grandson who is now 12. The CO's are very respectful and kind. I have had cancer since our son was incarcerated and had a major operation. While I was off work I went to visit our son and the 110 mile trip just about wore me out. I was not feeling too good after the drive. However, the CO was so very kind, the pat-down was brief and she was so kind. Throughout this entire ordeal everyone has been at least respectful. I know that not all the CO's are at the visiting desk or visiting room and our son doesn't tell us everything but for the most part he says the CO's are "pretty decent." He is not a troublemaker, goes to school full time and stays on his bunk. However, he recently received a ticket for going to the hallway to pass gas as he is in a dorm setting and that is the polite way of doing things. Ugh!
My fiance got a ticket with his bunkie they were supposibly sweeping the floor when standing count was going on. But they were'nt and he got another one for not standing in standing count and he was. They have a jerk as a CO at night time they don't even announce when standing count is at night. I told him no more ticket's.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Unless he was from Spain, he's Latino or Hispanic. (I know, off-topic but it's a pet peeve of mine)
Thank you for explaining the "why". We get that question a lot here and I've always said I would rather mine be locked down for 90 days for something that had absolutely nothing to do with him if it meant that he didn't get injured over something that had absolutely nothing to do with him. I'm a big girl, I know how to write letters and wait to see him. Phone calls and visits aren't worth his life.
I totally understand where you are coming from, correction noted. (on the difference between Spanish/Hispanic)

In volatile places those lockdowns are also for their safety.

I'm sure you know many times guys are forced to associate with a "crew" for safety while in. It's prison politics, it happens. But when that crew is expected to stand up for something, guys who had nothing to do with the beef are forced into it.

I wish it was different, but unfortunately it is not.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carm2405 View Post
Okay, I understand this... but I thought that the prisons have different sections (units/wings) and inmates in different areas don't have contact with each other... so if "A" has a fight and needs lock-down, then why lock up wing "B", "C" and "D" as well?? Isn't it true that oftentimes inmates don't know why they are being locked down??
Suppose if contraband was found in one area, would the whole prison be locked down also?
Units are separate of course, but in most places they use the recreation yards (and other places) at the same time. You might have 2 or 3 units all on the same yard. It's all prison dependent.

Most of the time they don't know why they are locked down. Well the general population does not. But in my case of the two fighters, the guys in those two groups do know what happened.

If I am in a unit that is locked down I usually tell my guys a sanitized version of what happened. I don't give details of course. But I'll say, two guys got into a fight, staff was assaulted, major contraband was found. Etc. Not knowing would drive me crazy, so I let my guys know, figured if they know it was a fight, it will only be a few days. If it's something serious, I'll let them know, it better prepares them, "we are going to be doing this for awhile."

In the case of everyone being locked down in the case of contraband. There are various reasons. If a massive amount of weapons are found.....someone might be going to war. We need to figure out who and why. Sometimes a lockdown might be in place so all staff can be diverted for a shakedown of a unit.

Sometimes it is just "punishment".
fbopnomore (03-20-2019), sidewalker (03-20-2019)