Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the New York Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:48 AM

Question Wait period for phone calls from New York state prison?

My sister let me know my nephew wants to speak with me. I set up the phone account but my family members said it will be at least 2 weeks till he can call me? Gtl said the funds would be available to him in 24 hours so why the 2 week wait? Does my number need to be approved or added to his call list? Not sure of the procedure but wondering if 2 weeks is when I should start looking out for calls.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2017, 05:56 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,039 Times in 13,528 Posts

Some states require an approved phone list, others do not. Many use a voice recognition system that takes a few days or so to set up. So, its going to depend on which state your loved one is incarcerated in
Old 02-17-2017, 06:19 AM

He is currently in Ny
The Following User Says Thank You to Paisley44 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

I've moved your thread to the New York sub-forum for phones so you can get state specific information
Old 02-17-2017, 10:20 AM

In New York, you do have to be added to an approved phone list. My fiancé told me that it goes through his counselor so your nephew would have to wait until he sees his counselor and the number approved and added to the phone list. From what I've been told by my fiancé, the inmate has to write a call out slip to see their counselor and depending which facility it is, it could take a few days to actually be called out to see your counselor. And then still once you see them I'm not sure how long it would take to actually have the number approved and added. Mine was added pretty quickly from what he told me. When he first got to his facility he said he met with his counselor and got my number on his list right away. I would say just make sure you know the area code for the county/hub that his facility is in and when you see any unknown number calling from that area code just answer. Even if we're today because he may have already done all the adding and what not and then told your sister (his mom I'm guessing) that he wanted to talk to you.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:59 PM

Thank you for the reply. I still have not heard from him. I'm hoping he didn't change his mind. I wonder if I reached out to the prison if I'd get any info? Or I considered writing him a letter.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

You haven't mailed a letter yet Its ok, really. Its hard to know what to do if you've never had a loved one in prison. By all means, write him a letter!! Having his name called at mail call will boost his spirits I'm sure he'd be glad to hear from you...and he may not be able to call you yet.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:25 PM

I hadn't yet written to him. Wasn't sure he wanted to hear from me till my sister told me otherwise! I did finally get a call today! Very new to all this, thanks for the information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paisley44 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-06-2017), Sarianna (03-07-2017)