Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Crime & Court Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Crime & Court Talk News and discussion on all things to do with crime and/or the court system.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Drug War Victim

I do not beleive there was enough evidence to convict the guy. Guilty or not you are supposed to be presumed innocent. Hell I would have avoided the media at all costs myself. Doesn't mean sociopath.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:58 PM

Hey there,

I have followed this case, not as close as some, but i read a lot as here in australia we didnt have as much media coverage as in the USA. I am not sure if he is innocnet or guilty, only him and lacy will every really know the truth. I do think that there was not enough evidence to convict him as i personally think it was all circumstancial. Just because he cheated on his wife ( and he had years before) doesnt make someone a killer. If they had had DNA evidence( and i mean linking him to her body and vice versa), well then that would be a whole diferent story.

Just a shame it happened at all.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:05 AM

I followed the case here in England after seeing it on the TV when I was in LA on holiday. As soon as TV show had finished I turned to my wife and said that he would be found guilty. Everywhere in the democratic world affords a defendant the right to be innocent untill proven guilty. I cannot remember the name of the TV show but it featured other up and coming court cases. This type of TV show is totally prejudicial to any future trial and over here in England would never be allowed to air untill after the trial has concluded. I have my own opinion of whether Scott Peterson is guilty or innocent and I'm sorry to say it was based on that TV show. If I can be influenced by that then so can a potential juror!!!

The USA has a serious problem with protecting the rights of the defendant before a trial and for more proof you only need look at the Michael Jackson trial. Again I have already formed my opinion on guilt based on the pre trial coverage!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Boss

This is the first time I read this thread since I am not really interested in big media cases. I wonder what attention this case would have gotten if they hadn't been white and attractive? Would anyone have paid attention if Laci was a poor, uneducated mother on welfare? I don't belive so. Murders happen everyday. and it sickens me to see it displayed that one life is more valuable than the next.
Regarding Scott's innocence or guilt, since I wasn't there, I don't know. If I have learned anything in my experiences with "law" and "justice" and "trials", it's that they are simply a performance and whoever puts on the best act wins. It is not truth, it is not instant replay, it is subjective persective. None of us ever know, including those on the jury. There is always that statistic, even if it's .00005%, that he didn't do it, that should prevent those of us who are suffering in this system to not judge other people. Instead of spending my time being fascinated by someone who died, I would rather work towards change in our society and so-called justice system that is so quick to discard human life.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:58 PM

Today his girlfriend, the one he cheated with, was on national TV in the Netherlands. She told about the book she wrote... I didn't know what the story was, but to me it looked like he is guilty... But, I also know the media can play with your mind... And no matter what, he should'nt have been sentenced to death, because this punishment is something I am against. If he did it, they can put him away for life, but not a death penalty...
Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 PM

Red face Question

Has anyone actually written and received a letter from Scott?

Legal experts believe that Scott must be patient and just patiently wait until the big appeal.

About the new girl friend Scott has... She should be patient and be actively raising money for the big appeal..

Tips on raising money... This is just a theory...

The girl should become friends with the parents of the convicted. The girl should ask the parents if she can stay in the son’s room until the big appeal day. She can claim that with all the rent money she saves she can help the convicted person pay for the big appeal. The convicted person’s parents are really nice people... They love to hear good stories that will help in the big appeal process.

According to the news no one to date has tried to take advantage of the convicted parents...

Last edited by ignorance; 05-03-2005 at 11:20 PM..
Old 05-04-2005, 08:34 AM

Geez, so much judgment here! No, I don't know whether or not Scott is guilty, and either does ANYONE else, as pointed out above, except, God, Scott and Lacey. whethre or not you read the transcripts, watched court TV or caught it now and then, I don't think ANYONE can say that there was anything more than circumstantial evidence to convict him. since this country was founded on the principle of "its better to let a guilty man go free than to convict an innocent one" I don't think Scott ought to have been convicted, let alone sentenced to death. My goodness, these jurors must think alot of themselves, THEY know who is telling the truth, THEY know EVEN though research has shown that there is no way for even experts to judge this (who is lying and who is not) God help me if I ever have to sit before a jury who judges me. Quite frankly and no disrespect intended, I don't know one educated, intelligent person that I have talked to who thinks he ought to have been convicted, they ALL are like me-- "maybe he did it, maybe not, but the evidence did not prove it." THAt ought to be the end of the discussion, at least under this legal system.
Even if you read the transcript

Last edited by suzeg3; 05-04-2005 at 08:35 AM..
Old 05-19-2005, 04:08 PM
missyT

HI:

This is my first post....bear with me here!

I have followed Scott's case since the beginning. I became disgusted at the media's biased coverage, and decided to investigate and come up with answers on my own. Two plus years later, I have come to the inarguable conclusion that Scott was wrongfully convicted. I don't condone the adultery or lying to Amber over the phone, but it simply doesn't equate to murder. For the record, I have no romantic involvement with Scott, and don't desire it. He is a friend, and I am an advocate and friend to him...that is all. I have never written another inmate or been romantically involved with one (not that I think it is wrong, just hasn't happened. I think this forum is a great support system!)

The Modesto Police told a friend of Scott's within 2 hours of arriving at the Covena House that they "knew what had happened here", and immediately focused in on Scott, ignoring important tips and leads that could have led to Laci's safe return, including sightings of Laci on 12/24, after Scott had left their home to go fishing. Their rush to judgement was swift, and frightening.

In 2 searches of the house, warehouse, vehicles, and boat by the MPD and FBI, not one piece of conclusive physical evidence was ever found to tie Scott directly to Laci's murder. Yes, a piece of hair that MAY have been Laci's was found in a pair of pliers in the boat, but the pliers were rusty, and an expert testified that they had not been used/opened in awhile, yet the hair was wound around and inside of the pliers. In addition, when the "hair" evidence envelope was opened months later, ONE piece of hair had "magically" turned into 2! Go figure!

No crime scene, no motive, no physical evidence, no confession (even after hours of calls with Amber Frey!)...NOTHING!

I could go on and on, but won't bore you all. I have read the transcripts, been to the trial and Modesto to investigate myself, and know the Peterson's personally. The thought of them coming here for support and reading venom about their son almost brings me to tears. Truly, they are lovely people.

I do communicate with Scott, but would never betray his trust by divulging the details of our correspondence.

Whatever your opinion of Scott is, please try to remember that, while each of you have your own situations to deal with, you have never walked a mile in Scott or his family's shoes, nor have they walked a mile in yours. If any of you are ever at SQ visiting and have the pleasure of meeting any of them, you will know what I mean.

Thanks. Hope I haven't offended anyone, I am just very passionate about the case. I truly believe that Scott will be found not guilty and exonerated upon appeal.

missyT

P.S. If anyone has questions regarding Scott's case, feel free to post them here or PM, I will do my best to answer!

Last edited by missyT; 05-19-2005 at 04:16 PM..
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Love my husband~AZ Alumni
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,001 Times in 760 Posts

Hi missyT, and thanks for your post. I don't know whether Scott is innocent or guilty and it's not my place to make that call, but I don't think the jury had enough evidence to convict him. I agree with you that it's not appropriate for people to post negativity because regardless of personal feelings, this is a support site and we need to remember that his family and friends are just as welcome here as anyone else.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:49 AM
missyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale'sforever
Hi missyT, and thanks for your post. I don't know whether Scott is innocent or guilty and it's not my place to make that call, but I don't think the jury had enough evidence to convict him. I agree with you that it's not appropriate for people to post negativity because regardless of personal feelings, this is a support site and we need to remember that his family and friends are just as welcome here as anyone else.
Thanks so much for your response!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Closed

Missy T,
For a first time post, that is a mighty good one. I too feel that Mr. Peterson got an unfair trial. You raise some very valid issues in regaurds to the evidence or lack there of. I think that we should all take note of this case and realize that anyone of us could get sent to death row without a single eyewitness and no forensic or dna evidence supporting the charge. That frightens me beyod beliefe. I do think that the media has dictated the outcome of this case.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:46 PM

hey missyT:

i agree with everything you said 100%. thanks so much for the post...
Old 05-24-2005, 05:24 PM

I don't know if he is guilty or not but based on the media coverage it was obvious that they 'knew' he was guilty. Whatever happened to being presumed innocent? It's disgusting that any trial can be played out in the media before it has even commenced. It is totall wrong that any trial can be prejudiced in this way.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Love my husband~AZ Alumni
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,001 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemo
I don't know if he is guilty or not but based on the media coverage it was obvious that they 'knew' he was guilty. Whatever happened to being presumed innocent? It's disgusting that any trial can be played out in the media before it has even commenced. It is totally wrong that any trial can be prejudiced in this way.

I totally agree...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Account Closed

Guilty. Why? Lets see...his wife is only missing a short time, and he refers to her in the past tense: "I lovED her...", and "She WAS a wonderful person..." This wasn't something misquoted by the media--I saw the interview. He also put their house up for sale while she was still missing because he couldn't stand to be in there. WHAT?!? If she is missing, wouldn't you want to keep the same house, hoping for the day she returns? He told his (ex-)girlfriend that his wife was dead. Hmmm...and both she and his sister think he's guilty. That's pretty harsh.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Holding on tight

Default agree with honeymooner

i totally agree
why if your loved one is reported as a missing person why sell you house and all hte past tense quotes
i am sorry i feel he is guilty
and i have a open mind about this stuff
Now as far as OJ i still dont know if he is guilty
Any one remember the Susan Smith Story I didnt believe that she could of killed her children till the came right out and admitted it and then it wax still hard one to swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeymooner
Guilty. Why? Lets see...his wife is only missing a short time, and he refers to her in the past tense: "I lovED her...", and "She WAS a wonderful person..." This wasn't something misquoted by the media--I saw the interview. He also put their house up for sale while she was still missing because he couldn't stand to be in there. WHAT?!? If she is missing, wouldn't you want to keep the same house, hoping for the day she returns? He told his (ex-)girlfriend that his wife was dead. Hmmm...and both she and his sister think he's guilty. That's pretty harsh.

:love:

:love:
Old 05-25-2005, 03:51 PM
missyT

Quote:
Hi Honeymooner: I'd like to respond to a few of the issues you bring up:

1)You say that Scott referred to Laci in the past tense.
On a few occasions, you are right, he did. But, so did Laci's mother, father, her mother's boyfriend, her brother, half-sister and many of her friends, all accounts which are documented by the media as well. Everyone, Scott included, referred to Laci both in the past and present tense, common in a situation where they are in "limbo" and wondering if Laci would be found alive or not. This does not make Scott any more guilty of murder than any of the other people I just mentioned. By the way, I am not accusing Laci's family of anything, I'm simply making a point. The Modesto Police referred to Laci in the past tense as well.

2) Yes, Scott inquired about putting the house up for sale, but the house was never listed by a realtor for Scott, so this is patently false. Scott did not want to bring Laci home to a house that she might feel unsafe in, he stated this in a phone call to a real estate agent, who testified to this in court, at the trial.

3) Scott never used the word's "Laci is dead" when talking to Amber. In addition, Scott saw Amber on 4 occasions only...she was NOT his girlfriend, but someone he was taking advantage of sexually during the late stages of Laci's pregnancy (I don't excuse it, just calling it what it is). Scott told Amber that he had "lost" his wife. Big difference between "lost" and "dead". Later, in a conversation that Amber taped as an agent for the Modesto Police Department, she asked Scott to explain what he meant by the word "lost", and he stated that there are different levels of loss. This does not prove Scott, beyond a reasonable doubt, guilty of murder.

4) Scott's sister claims in her book that she was convinced of his guilt the day Laci and Conner were found on the shore of the SF Bay (4/19/03). However, 16 months later, she was still sending e-mails to Scott's friends and family thanking them for supporting Scott, and telling them that she believed Scott to be innocent. In my opinion, if Scott had been acquitted, Anne would have still written a book, probably in defense of him. Anne and her husband have numerous tax liens against them (it's public record, you can look it up). That fact, in and of itself, leads me to believe that her motive for writing a book was financial, and also leads me to believe that her book is not entirely factual. As far as Amber believing he is guilty, well....she's entitled to her opinion, although I think she is basing it more on media BS, the MPD, and her attorney "telling her so" more than anything else. I actually feel sorry for Amber, both for the way Scott treated her during their brief involvement, and for the way she was manipulated and used by the police, DA's office and Gloria Allred (her attorney) after Laci's disappearance.

Thanks for listening.

missyT
Old 05-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Ken's Loving Wife

missyT, well written and great points. I am sorry about the legal system in the US, the media has too much power and control. I do not know if there was a fair and impartical jury out there to sit for SP's trial. Personally, I do not think that it is my place to decide someones guilt or innocence. I can always find reasonable doubt.

I wish SP well and hope that his appeals do justice. I don't believe that he got that at trial.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Account Closed

So, when he said he "lost" his wife, you think he meant that he misplaced her, like a set of car keys? What would be the "different levels of loss" he was referring to? I don't know how anyone could misinterpret "I lost my wife."

I'm not sure what you define as "girlfriend," but I've read the phone transcripts. This was more than a sexual relationship. And the fact that he only "met with her" 4 times means diddly-squat. There are women on this website who become engaged without even meeting their men first.

Funny, you've found the sister guilty of writing the book for financial gains, based purely on circumstantial evidence.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:48 AM
my scotchy!

I am not sure, but I did watch alot of court TV coverage. I just feel very sorry for Scott as I am sure he could not have gotten a fair trial anywhere with all the media hype.

I really will probably never say guilty or inncocent again on any case. I believed for years the media hype that The Ramsey's killed Jon Benet. I now have watched a documentary that is curretly being aired with regularity and I am absolutley sure they are innocent yet their lives have been destroyed by that speculation.

Tekela
Old 05-26-2005, 04:56 AM
my scotchy!

Honeymooner,

Are signs for "Lost Dog" mean searching for dead dog? doubt it.

If a person goes missing and you are not wanting to really reveal detail as in a man who is trying to cheat, "lost" would be pretty appropriate. It also would be as if a man's wife ran away with another man. He may say seperated, divorced not my run away wife.

Tekela
Old 05-26-2005, 05:36 AM

i think his innocent. there is way 2 much public relations on this case & he was probably jst a sitting duck 4 an over zealous community.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 AM
missyT

Quote:
So, when he said he "lost" his wife, you think he meant that he misplaced her, like a set of car keys? What would be the "different levels of loss" he was referring to? I don't know how anyone could misinterpret "I lost my wife."

I'm not sure what you define as "girlfriend," but I've read the phone transcripts. This was more than a sexual relationship. And the fact that he only "met with her" 4 times means diddly-squat. There are women on this website who become engaged without even meeting their men first.

Funny, you've found the sister guilty of writing the book for financial gains, based purely on circumstantial evidence.
Read Tekala's post above, she nailed it..."lost" does not mean "dead", her example is excellent! Couples "lose" each other on an emotional level all the time, especially when going through changes such as Scott and Laci were experiencing.

As far as our definitions of what a "girlfriend" is, I guess our definitions are different. I would not consider myself someone's girlfriend after 4 sexual encounters, and without even having the man's home phone number and address. I guess I have more self respect than that. Amber is naive, IMO. Scott never considered Amber a girlfriend, I know this first-hand. Laci and Scott were not sexually active in the latter stages of her pregnancy (per testimony from one of Laci's friends), and Scott was "getting some action" where he could. OF COURSE he "sweet-talked" Amber, most men who cheat do! Have you read the actual trial transcripts? Try that, and you will see what a bunch of BS this case was from the beginning! The media ruined any chance of a fair trial and impartial jury!

The tax liens against Anne and her husband are factual, NOT circumstancial, and public record, look them up! The IRS breathing down someone's neck is a very good financial incentive for a book deal. I have access to the e-mails that Anne sent regarding her belief in Scott's innocence 16 months after Laci and Conner were found...which is the day, in her book, she says she came to believe 100% in Scott's guilt. This is not circumstancial, it is fact.

I am helping build a website to advocate for Scott. It is still in the early stages and will continue to evolve, but check it out.

www.savescottslife.com

Thanks,
missyt
Old 05-26-2005, 12:17 PM
2008 CLUB MEMBER #3

Personally I feel Scott is Guilty. I don't believe they had the evidence to give DR . I think this case was so emotional for a lot of people and I think everyone wanted him nailed. For the crime that was commited was SICK! I think a lot of people forget that the lack of evidence over shadows the fact of the crime committed. What if someone did this to your daughter or mother or sister! I feel for his family because they have been ridiculed for their son and that is unfair! I feel very upset when I see people defending him that he is "innocent" because a lot of the case points directly at Scott. Granted there was NO smoking gun evidence but to proclaim his Innocense is a stretch. My question is what reason would someone say he is "innocent" I could understand that he didn't get a fair trial but that is so far fetched from being innocent! this is a woman's life and an unborns childs life that was taken. Regardless of the lack of evidence how could a married man have no concern for the where about of his 8 month pregnant wife, continue an affair and manage to live the way that he did. Point blank his story and the coincidences don't add up and I rest a lot easier knowing he is not on the streets. I try not to be too strong on this opinion because I do realize that it is a touchy subject and so I will just leave it at this.... A lot of us are dealing with "wrongful convictions" "lack of evidence" and so on and so forth But that should not cloud the fact that all of what he did proves his guilt. I am sure there was a lot that the media could not cover and therefore we didn't see what the jruy did. Sometimes we need to seperate our situations from what happend to Scott. He is a sick person for what he did, I don't believe in the death penalty, but his appeal will handle that I am assuming.

2 hearts plagued by the same arrow
Together
Feeling all the pain & sarrow
Together
They suffer for they can not bare to be apart!
By: Me

Old 05-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Ken's Loving Wife

Friendly questions.....support for all PTO participants.....judging is different from personal opinions.....high profile and very emotional case.....not the first murder of a pregnant woman and won't be the last.....how might we feel in the shoes of anyone involved in the Peterson case....

God Bless and give peace to everyone touched by this case!