Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:56 PM
kristi

Default Dine

Thannk you for that and the man in the pic is very handsome.
Kristi
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Closed

60% cherokee

Last edited by bluesparkle1995; 02-09-2006 at 08:14 AM..
Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
kristi

i still dont know what i am lol kristi
Old 02-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Closed

half the time i'm not sure either!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Guess who's back...

My grandmother told me that her mother's father was Cherokee. However when researching my family tree I came across a few stumbling blocks and gained some knowledge.

1. I found one of her cousins online and she says that she remembers it being their mother's mother and not their grandfather. Mind you that this woman was never allowed to go over to the grandparents house. Her father was very controlling and ended up murdering her mother.

2. If it was their grandfather then he didn't want to admit it because there is one census stating that his parents are from PA yet a couple other ones state that he was of German and Irish decent. I know that census info isn't always right so with the discrepencies I can't come to a final conclusion on that note.

3. If it was the grandmother so far I've found her family living in Philadelphia, PA right along the Delaware River as far back as 1760. In making a bunch of small distant connections through friendships and marriages I found other families researching the same surname throughout PA who had definite Native American connections or rumors of such.

After doing a little research into Native American history and speaking with others I found out that the Cherokee did not make there way up here to Philadelphia. For the most part they either stayed in the mountains where they were familiar with it's territory or they were forced out west.

Even though I learned it in school and the street that runs along the river in Philly used to be called Delaware Ave (now Columbus Blvd ), I just then remembered that it was actually the Delaware/Lenape Indians that lived right along the river in Philadelphia where my grandmother's family lived as far back as I can trace. ( Yeah I know...DUH!).

I did a little reasearch and learned that the Delaware were not recognized as a seperate tribe until the 1990's. Up until then they were technically considered Cherokee.

Whether it's Delaware bloodline or Cherokee I know someone was Native American. My grandmother has a couple pictures of her mother and aunt and you can just look at them and tell.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:55 PM

Hey Wenze, thanks for sharing your story...trying to find your ancestors can be horribly frustrating (major understatement!!!) here's another option to throw into the mix...

many of our ancestors children were taken from their family homes and place in the residential bourding schools, of which the most famous is the Carlisle Induian Industrial school, located outside of Philadelphia. The Cherokee had the highest enrollment numbers, of all the Nations, in that particular boarding school.

When the students arrived back home either after graduating or running away from the school, they found they no longer fit in to tribal life. That is called assimilation, the purpose of the boarding schools. Many students returned to Carlilse and surrounding areas where they were more easily accepted and there were many in the same curcumstances. And as was the case whenther you went to boarding school or not denied their heritage as a means to protect themselves.

there are a number of intereting links about the Carlisle Indian School...the one I found most helpful is
http://home.epix.net/~landis/main.html

they even have parial lists of names by tribe, perhaps you will find an ancesotr there... http://home.epix.net/~landis/tally.html

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 02-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Guess who's back...

Thanks so much for the info Cyndi and you are very welcome! I did check those links out. Looking back over my records my grandmother's grandparents were born in the 1850's. Do you know anything about what age they would go to the boarding school up until?

Old 02-25-2006, 05:19 AM

I dont know the ages, judging from the pictures availablle, the stories I have been told and read, school age? - 5ish? up ino high school ages? But we know babies were taken from homes too,,,not to go to school

if I find any information I will let you know...

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 02-25-2006 at 05:22 AM..
Old 02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Guess who's back...

Thanks again Cyndi! Anything that you might come across would be great!

Old 02-28-2006, 03:23 PM

Cherokee.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Hell On Wheels

Default Blood line

Ogalala Sioux -

mix in some Italian, Norwegian - throw in a Taurus

= Me
Old 03-06-2006, 11:32 PM

first nation anishinabe...from my heart to the tips of my toes and back again.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Everyone Fave GoofBall

I am not full native, I get called Half breed but I am Cherokee, so are the rest of my siblings!

Old 03-21-2006, 07:32 PM

The Dine (Navajo) People/Apache
Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 PM

I'm taking a history class on Native American's and one of the assignments we have been given is to find out if we have Native American heritage in our family tree. So far I found out that my grandpa's grandpa married a Cree woman. My grandma's grandmother was an Alogonquin. And my father's mother is half Native American, but I have yet to find out from where. I was surprised to learn of this. Awesome!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:03 AM

My cousin and I started researching our family tree after we found out our great grandfather was adopted.Along the way we discovered that his biological mother was a full blooded Apache,but we dont know where she was from.We are still looking to find out more.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Closed

I am Lenape,my daughter is Lenape and Taino and my guy is Mesoamerican~Aztec~Toltec~Mayan,I am still learning about it.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:39 PM

hi all, i know i have it in my blood but not sure which or how much but am trying to find out. my man is native american, cohuilla(i hope i spelled that right) it is soooo fascinating, learning his ways and beliefs. hes teaching me the language. he puts it in his letters and when we talk on the phone and visit. i love him sooo much for who he is and what he stands for.

loving my indian warrior till my last breath!

free at last, free at last, thank GOD almighty i'm free at last! not him, ME!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Just Trust !

Default lil' bit of this & that

My mother's mom is Blackfeet & her father was African American/Choctaw. My fathers family is Cherokee. Unfotunately, my grandmother was taken from her mother as a young child, so she didn't get a chance to learn all the ways of her people. At age 10 she was sent to work on a plantation in Bienvelle, Louisiana. She was always very proud of her heritage and would tell anyone who asked her (very defiant ). My mothers father's family was scattered but returned to family land in Oklahoma. Officially registered Choctaw, but we don't have any information on the Blackfeet ancestors. We are now researching our Cherokee family.

Trying to put the pieces together for myself & my daughters, who know what they are but don't fully understand what that means. We grew up with my Grandfathers African American family, but have never been allowed to forget our 'first peoples' connections. My goal is to learn enough so that my daughters & I can fully honor all our ancestors in some way.

Be Blessed!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Dave's Kitten

Eastern Cherokee =clan AniSahoni
Old 11-08-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Native American Child

MY BACKGROUND IS TOHONO' ODHAM (FORMERLY KNOWN AS PAPAGO). SAD TO SEE HOW MUCH OUR TRADITION IS FADING AWAY.. TOO MUCH MODERN TECHNOLOGY IS TAKING IT STEP IN OUR LAND AND IN EACH OF OUR LIVES.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:40 PM
MY LONELY DAYS ARE OVER!
Donation Award 

Thumbs up Proud to say...

Choctaw. I am adopted so I don't know exactly how much. I do know my mother was full-blooded and I am not sure if my father was part native american, he was mexican that much I know... I would love to find out how much I am... My son started learning about Native heritage in school a couple of years back and since then he is proud to say that he is Choctaw/Mexican, it makes me proud. He is proud of both heritages... I have never been registered but I would love to be... I have always been proud to say I am Native American. Someone once told me if I didn't know enough of my bloodline then I couldn't say it/be proud, I just thought they are crazy... I can be proud either way.

Last edited by luvmypapabear; 11-17-2006 at 09:43 PM..
Old 11-18-2006, 06:27 AM

there's always a lot of blood quantum "stuff" everywhere...its too bad because its just another wedge the dominant culture has placed between us to further divide us, as has always been their plan...divide and conquer.

my great grandmother was Abenaki...that makes me an eighth if you want to talk blood quantum...if you ask me, i will tell you I am Abenaki, thats the life I live, the traditions I believe, and the ancestors I honor. there is no one part of me that is Abenaki...how could just a part of me be Abenaki? And what part would that be? my thigh? my left foot? its ridiculous!!!

More importantly, I am a part of the community, serving the people...

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 11-18-2006 at 06:28 AM..
Old 11-18-2006, 08:23 AM

My great grandma was full blooded sioux.I think she was from canada.I'm still learning about that side of my family.I know she married a French man from canada.I'm wanting to know more about my heritage on my moms side.I know alot about my Irish and german roots but since mom wasn't raised by her mom we weren't as close to that side of the family.Now most of them have passed on.My great grandma was living right down the road and I didn't know it.I would have really liked to get to know her.What I do know of her tells me I am alot like her.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:25 AM

Cherokee but Im a mixed pup Italian-Portaguiese-Irish-French

Forever N Love

Last edited by EMiller; 11-18-2006 at 11:27 AM..