Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Hi My Name Is Cynthia & I'm Fairly New Here My Fiancee Is In A Tx State Prison And He Is In Bad Need Of A Medince Bag W/herbs And Stuff. Does Anyone Know Where I Could Buy One For Him I Live In Modesto Ca.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2006, 03:31 PM

Hi cyntia, I will be happy to send your boyfriend one, It probably has to go thru the chaplain, so either contact the chaplain and find out how to get it to him or give mme the chaplains contact info and I will call...a medicine bag should not be bought (or sold)....neither should medicines or anything sacred...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 06-13-2006, 03:46 PM

Thank You Wingy I Understand What Your Saying That Medicine Bags Should Not Be Bought Or Sold. But The Thing Is My Fiancee Says It's Like When You Send Them A Book The Store Has To Be The One To Send It. If I Were To Try And Send It Myself I Don't Think He Would Get It. So I Really Don't Know How To Go About It.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:01 PM

What Would U Suggest Wingy?
Old 06-14-2006, 06:33 AM
tincker21

Default Hello

I have been trying to find someone to translate some words for me in apache. can someone help me with this.my husband is in prison and i was going to try and do something for him for his birthday.so here are the words if someone can write them in apache for me. God,Love,Warrior,Iron'Man,Never,Surrender,Fear,Leg end.
Thanks so much!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:41 PM

Unfortunately (or as some of us believe) the languages and history of the First People is an oral history, there may be no correct or incorrect way of spelling. One cannot just translate a language of the original people...In any of the native languages I know of there is a masculine and a feminine way of saying things depending on what you are speaking of and to whome you are speaking....also, there are several different Bands of the Apache Nation ...off the top of my head, White Mountain Apache, Lippan, Jicallera, Mescalero, Arivaipa, Coyotero, Faraone Gileno, Llanero, Mimbreno, Mogollon, Naisha, Tchikun and Tchishi, and Chiricahua, Western Scientists classify all these as Athabascan languages, and they are similar, but are seperate dialects and therefore inflections, spelling and some words vary.

I googled to see what i could find and you may find helpful information at the websites, below.

http://impurplehawk.com/shoodii.html

http://www.nativeamericacalling.com/...0archives.shtm (scroll down)

I think it was an Abenaki elder that once said to Speak my language is to know our people.

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 06-14-2006 at 02:47 PM..
Old 06-14-2006, 03:21 PM

Well, like I said you could call his chaplain or the director of chaplains to find out the specifices...there are plenty of palces on line that you can buy the mnedicine bags and have them shipped to him...gooogle crazt crow, wandering bull or even look on ebay If you are at or close to a powwow, many of the traders have a store front and could ship it for you

I will pm you a link for a friend of mine, tell her I sent you if you decide to order...She is an Abenaki woman, an excellent friend and human being....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYN78829
What Would U Suggest Wingy?

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 AM

Hello

First let me introduce myself, I'm Marijke, and I've been posting on pto just about a week now I think. I'm no Native American.. I'm as Dutch as it can be :P But from when I was a little kid, I was always very interested in the culture of Native Americans, so some years ago I was looking on the internet for some things about the Native American Culture and I found this website with Native American prisoners. So after reading some off the ads on that, I decided to start writing, and I'm really glad that I did, 'cause since then I've got a real great new friend!!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Native American

You have just said something that interested me. We have an inmate in Vacarville State Prison. His name is Robert Tunstall a native American. Right now he is in the hole (Seg) and is starving himself as he wants to die and sees know real reason to live. He has been in prison for 31 yrs. His is called the Barber because he has worked for a long time in Hospice supporting and conforting the dieing inmates in their last days. He cuts their hair and shaves them. He prays with them giving them the courage to die in peace. He was a asset to the program because his love for his pateints and his work made such a differnce to those who have knowone in their last days and hours. Robert is also sick and needs medication. Because of brain tumors and seizures he can"t fuction or live without the right dose of medication which at the present is being denied him. He will soon go into a coma and expire if something isn't down imediately to rescue him from a certain fate of death. Robert does not deserve this kind of treatment from the CDC. He has help many, ,many patients during many years of dedication in Hospice. Last month he got into a verbral convertation with another hospice worker who had been abusing patients . A doctor walk in during the quarel and later place Robert in the Hole. Without the proper medication Robert cannot thrive nor does he want to now. All his hopes for release have been dashed and the help he had given for so long to hospice has been overlooked and ignored because Robert and another inmate having an arguement. The other inmate I understand was not reprimanded. Robert is married to Mary who is a moderator for many prison reform groups. She is very ill now and because of the stress over Robert has had a stroke. Mary and Robert have been married for 30 years and have a son. They were teenage sweethearts. Since Robert is part American Indian I wonder why the Native American Indian counsel has not move in and tryed to stop this horrible abusive treatment and neglect of Robert needs and life. He needs help now and by the end of a couple of weeks it may be to late.

Judith Metzger
(email removed. Please pm member this information. Thanks)
Old 08-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Account Closed

I am truly sorry about this man and the fact that he will probably die in prison.

When my Native American friend's medical conditions were being ignored, his visitor and I called the prison, talked to his counselor and even the clinic and complained. The warden himself finally paid him a visit.

Is it possible to apply for clemency for health reasons? It sounds like his condition is terminal and I am wondering if he wants his medication or just wants to be made comfortable. This is so tragic and I will keep him, his wife and you in my prayers.

I don't know how organized Native American groups are in your area and I'm sorry I can't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judysarak
You have just said something that interested me. We have an inmate in Vacarville State Prison. His name is Robert Tunstall a native American. Right now he is in the hole (Seg) and is starving himself as he wants to die and sees know real reason to live. He has been in prison for 31 yrs. His is called the Barber because he has worked for a long time in Hospice supporting and conforting the dieing inmates in their last days. He cuts their hair and shaves them. He prays with them giving them the courage to die in peace. He was a asset to the program because his love for his pateints and his work made such a differnce to those who have knowone in their last days and hours. Robert is also sick and needs medication. Because of brain tumors and seizures he can"t fuction or live without the right dose of medication which at the present is being denied him. He will soon go into a coma and expire if something isn't down imediately to rescue him from a certain fate of death. Robert does not deserve this kind of treatment from the CDC. He has help many, ,many patients during many years of dedication in Hospice. Last month he got into a verbral convertation with another hospice worker who had been abusing patients . A doctor walk in during the quarel and later place Robert in the Hole. Without the proper medication Robert cannot thrive nor does he want to now. All his hopes for release have been dashed and the help he had given for so long to hospice has been overlooked and ignored because Robert and another inmate having an arguement. The other inmate I understand was not reprimanded. Robert is married to Mary who is a moderator for many prison reform groups. She is very ill now and because of the stress over Robert has had a stroke. Mary and Robert have been married for 30 years and have a son. They were teenage sweethearts. Since Robert is part American Indian I wonder why the Native American Indian counsel has not move in and tryed to stop this horrible abusive treatment and neglect of Robert needs and life. He needs help now and by the end of a couple of weeks it may be to late.

Judith Metzger
(email removed. Please pm member this information. Thanks)

Last edited by chintath; 08-02-2006 at 08:31 PM..
Old 08-03-2006, 07:37 PM

to find roberts blog google talking-to-the-walls

there is an address posted to send cards and letters...

has anyone contacted NAPs??? or a local aim chapter???

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 09-10-2006, 06:14 PM

Default It's in the know

When I have conversation with a member of my people whom I have not met before we exchange first tribal or last names cos the name denotes the area where ur from and if you really care u will know the spiritual influence of the elders of that tribe and nine out of ten times u will have met someone from that lineage in ur passage in time.I think that the authorities have recognised this message stick that all ethnic peoples share and I am sure would be using that knowledge for data storage as they cannot hold more than one thought in their heads at a time,yours in spirit huria
Old 09-10-2006, 06:27 PM

Gee thanks for the link shortstuff 13,now I know I will be more efficient in my communications with future penpals,yours in spirit huria
Old 09-15-2006, 10:14 AM
elainej59

Default prison medical

One Flew Over The Koo Koo's Nest is the best way to describe all medical in federal, state or county facilities. Right now I have a sister in F.C.I. Dublin, located in Calif. who has had problems with migraine head aches from an injury she encountered many winters ago. She is concerned about this medication they are giving her because it doesn't seem to work and it is making her real dizzy and she sleeps on the top bunk in SHU, so there is concern. This medication is called LAMICTAL, the PA told her it is for seizures,(Seizure Medication for Migraines?) so I looked this drug up on the internet, not only did the PA lie about this medication. Lamictal is only for Bi Polar Disorder, it is a mood stablelizer, something like thorizine or Lithium, a drug to put you in a zombie like state (MOOD STABELIZER) I read the warning signs on this drug's side effects. Dizziness and HEADACHES! Why are they giving her this for headaches? This is worst than loading a gun, if something should happen it would be like pulling the trigger too. Dublin has a very small under staffed clinic open only during work hours during the week, no emergency facility 2 doctors who come in a couple times a week and cold uncaring noncompassionate & mean PA's that barely speak english. We need to change the policies/procedures and the regulations, we need to change the LAWS and the staff whom we entrust the safety to care for the health of our families. Today I will start with a phone call to the cold barely speaks english head physician and threaten law suit. Why does it always have to come to this? What do I have to do to get laws changed?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 PM
elainej59

Default Robert

You know there are a couple things you can do to help Robert, one is 'call the institution he is at', the other is to write your congressman. Our voice's are small but together they become big and we will be heard. I wrote and added an additional incident my Hunkpapa/Oglala Lakota sister LaVonne Rich Two Eagle Roach is going through in Dublin. I come from a warrior society (together we become strong) and we have to fight this system but in a good way. Today we have the power of communication whether it is through the phone the pin and or internet. Please make phone calls and write your congressman. Our tribal heads can't do anything, but you can. Never forget the best thing you can do in a day is pray, Creator will give you the tools it is up to you how you use them. You have my prayers... In the Spirit of Crazy Horse.. Elaine Jealous Of Him
Old 09-15-2006, 05:30 PM
DANA'S HOME

Good Evening to all

I am native from Canada. Six Nations res. Seneca Indian. Just want to say Hi to you all. Ive been in pto for 6 months? now but never in this forum. I have a daughter in prison in Kentucky. (Otter Creek) Hopefully she will be home bye next july.

Well hope you all are doing fine as well as your loved ones. Later
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 AM

Hi,
I'm not a native american but my boyfriend is an Apache. Sometimes i got so confused by his believe/ religion. Though he says that they believe in god, I don't understand. Do native american believe in God? I mean the same god christians believe in ,or do they believe in an other kind of god ?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:53 AM

First of all...Welcome to our little forum, Jemmison, Elaine and morning star...I hope you will find plenty of support and information here at PTO and in our little forum...

Jemmison, I have been up to 6 nations many times for gatherings and have always enjoyed my stay there. I am sorry to hear about your daughter in Kentucky, I hope she is well, using her time productively, and staying close to her traditions and ancestors. I am in Indiana pretty frequently. If your daughter needs a vistor, please feel free to pm me for my address and have her send me the paper work. I will be in the area in the early part of 2007 and would be honored to visit.

MorningStar, "God" is a term generally used by Christians as a name for Creator. Jewish people call God Yaweh, Jehova's witnesses, Jehova...the list of names God has been given is as long as the number of different races, religions and languages that are a part of creation.

American Indians, also believe in God, a Creator, something bigger than ourselves. The Lakhota use WakanTanka or Great Mystery, Potawotomi honor Ktthe Mnedo as our Creator, ane himu, "very something" is used in the Hopi language, the Powhatans used the word "okees" (okis),in the Lenape language God is called Getanittowit.
Whatever name is used, it signifies the same thing, a higher power, Creator, God...
below is a list of "God" in different languages, the names are endless.

No matter what name one chooses or is taught to use, or how one honors that being, there really can be only one creator or this universe. If more people would understand that, and respect others beliefs, there would be no religious wars.
Afrikaans
>العربية
>বাংলা
Bân-lâm-gú
>Беларуская
Bosanski
>Brezhoneg
>Български
>Català
Deutsch
Español
Français
Bahasa Indonesia
Italiano
Kurdî / كوردي
Latina
Nederlands
Norsk (nynorsk)
>Polski
Português
Română
Sicilianu

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 09-23-2006 at 10:01 AM..
Old 09-29-2006, 07:04 AM

Thanks for your reply wingy, it was of great help.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:22 AM

hi My Husband Is In A Ca Prison. He Is A Decendant Of The Juaneno Band Of The Mission Indians Acjachemem Nation. I Am Not Sure If I Wrote That Right. Just Wanted To Introduce Myself To This Forum And Get To Know Others. I Would Like To All I Can About His American Indian Heritage To Better Help Him While He Is In Custody. He Has Asked Me To Look Into Things He Is Allowed To Be Sent Like Medicine Bags,etc. Anyone With Info On How To Go About Getting These Things To Him Would Be Helpful. Again Nice To Meet You All.
dnzswfie
Old 11-15-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Misclassification

My fiance Jeff Anderson is incarcerated at USP Hazelton in West Virginia. He is a registered Blackfoot and they have his ethnicity listed as white. Would anyone know how to keep the prison from depleting the Native American census by classifying him as a white man?? I want his ethnicity changed!! Any information would be helpful!!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:55 PM

have you called the chaplain or spoke to any adminstrator...If he is enrolled, then contact his tribe and see what they can do...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 11-29-2006, 10:04 AM

Thankyou. I have called his tribe and left messages but as of now it is of no avail. He lived across the nation from his reservation and has never been to see it. Mabye their unfamiliarity with him has led them to deal with other issues that weigh at hand. I am seeking other avenues presently, but all help is welcome

Last edited by Chelle Baby; 11-29-2006 at 10:07 AM..
Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 AM

I would keep calling, too...and look for other numbers/contacts within the tribal office...Unfortunately, if you are not on the rollsor registered the tribe may be unwilling to help...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 12-04-2006, 04:38 AM
Banned

Hi

I'm the fiancee of a Native American Cherokee, I am white.

My fiancee has 5 years and 11 months left on his bid.

He means everything to me as he is the love of my life. He has recently asked me to marry him. And of course I accepted. I love him and miss him so very much. We've been apart for almost 2 years already.

I want to be supportive for him and hope to learn more here in this forum about his native culture and also to find things that I could surprise him with that I learn here.

He was born in Los Angeles, California. His father is a full blooded Native Cherokee from Los Angeles. He has not had contact with his father since he was very small.

His mother is Half Cherokee from Oklahoma originally. He and is mother are very close.

I just thought I'd introduce myself a bit and keep reading more posts.

Peace-

P.S. My fiancee does really beautiful artwork and poetry. I might post some here.

Last edited by LuvinMike4life; 12-04-2006 at 04:53 AM..