Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
phila

Default HELP Getting Married IN MARCH IN HOUTZDALE

hi my first time getting married and trust me did not want it to be this way but im getting married in march in houtzdale prison can u tell me what to expect can the gurds be witness because really dont have anyone to bring with me and when shoild i go file my part of the marriage license because it says there is a three day waiting period from the time u apply to the time u can be married the license is good for 60days but belonging to military u is exempt.the ceremony is in march
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM

has anyone ever gotten married at SCI pittsburgh? I know pa doc allows inmate marriages but like said in the other posts its the hoops that you have to jump through and court staff refusing to come to the prison to do the applications that makes in nearly impossible as well as finding someone to preform; the wedding if the chaplin won't. As for the post about marrying at camp hill, my fiance just left there and went to pittsburg, but while at camp hill he talked to the chaplin about getting married and they told him it was next to impossible at camp hill and theres not been any marriages there for years.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:19 PM

I spoke to an attorney and told her we wanted to get married. She said if he owns anything like property or such we should wait awhile and have the deeds have my name on them. Otherwise if he has any outstanding bills or used a credit card to pay for a lawyer they cant make you pay. My fiancee is in SCI Pitts but is suppose to get moved to camp Hill for classification. I hope he dont have to stay there he has a brain injury and any blow to head would kill him. Good luck to all who want to be married and supporting your man. Just really think it through the lawyer said.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Default what fecilitys in p.a are allow marriage

hi my name is evelin in trying to find anyone that knows abouts weddings in sci somerset p.a!do this facility allows marrages and how does it work?any body with any info i will really be grateful thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Forever his Juliet

Has anyone gotten married at Gratersford?? Please pm me with any info you have or that you know of. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was taught that one hour equals 60 minutes and that one minute equals 60 seconds. They never taught me that one second without you, lasts forever

Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 PM

Default PA DOC Policy for Inmate Marriages

POLICY STATEMENT
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania • Department of Corrections

Policy Subject: Inmate Marriages
Policy Number: DC-ADM 821
Date of Issue: September 28, 2006
Authority: Jeffrey A. Beard, Ph.D.
Effective Date: October 27, 2006

I. AUTHORITY

The Authority of the Secretary of Corrections to direct the operation of the Department of
Corrections is established by Sections 201, 206, 506, and 901-B of the Administrative
Code of 1929, 71 P.S. §§61, 66, 186, and 310-1, Act of April 9, 1929, P.L. 177, No. 175,
as amended.

II. PURPOSE

This document establishes procedures for inmate marriages.

III. APPLICABILITY

The policy and procedures set forth in this document are applicable to all facilities under
the jurisdiction of the Department.

IV. DEFINITIONS

A. Department

The Pennsylvania Department of Corrections.

B. Facility Manager

The Superintendent of a State Correctional Facility or State Regional Correctional
Facility, Commander of a Motivational Boot Camp, Director of a Community
Corrections Center, or Director of the Training Academy.

C. Faith Group Representative/Leader

An individual from the outside religious community, approved by the Facility
Manager/designee, who coordinates and conducts religious activities.

D. Magistrate

For the purposes of this policy, the magistrate is the local district justice who has the
authority to perform a civil marriage ceremony that is legally binding.

V. POLICY

It is the policy of the Department to allow inmates to marry while incarcerated in
accordance with the procedures set forth below.

VI. PROCEDURES

A. The initial request for marriage will be submitted in writing by the inmate to his/her
counselor.

B. The counselor will interview and counsel with both parties so that both parties fully
understand the inmate’s present custody status and the anticipated date of eligibility
for prerelease, parole, or other release status. If prerelease or parole status appears
likely in the near future, the inmate may be counseled as to the advisability of
deferring the marriage until such status is obtained.

C. Final plans will be developed by the inmate’s counselor and submitted to the Facility
Manager/designee for approval of the date, time, and place of the ceremony.

D. The inmate is responsible for the cost of the license.

E. Some courts may require a personal appearance by the inmate to apply for a marriage
license. The inmate is responsible for notifying the court that the Department will not
provide transportation to secure the marriage license for security reasons, but
alternatives are available.

F. Available alternatives are as follows:

1. videoconferencing may be considered, providing the facility and the court have the
technology, and the use of a videoconference is approved by the court.
Applications for marriage using a videoconference will be in accordance with
Department policy 1.1.10, “Videoconferencing;” and

2. a request that the court permit someone from the Prothonotary’s office to conduct
the interview at the facility.

G. A Facility Chaplain may perform the ceremony. If the Facility Chaplain will not perform
the marriage ceremony, the cost of a magistrate or an outside person designated as a
representative of an authorized faith group and qualified to solemnize marriages shall be incurred by the inmate.

H. Magistrates or a representative of an authorized faith group qualified to solemnize
marriages may perform the ceremony with the facility’s visiting room when regular
visiting hours are not scheduled and in accordance with Department policy DC-ADM
812, “Inmate Visiting Privileges.”

I. The Facility Manager/designee will ensure that an appropriate level of security
personnel and equipment is present during the wedding ceremony.

J. The inmate and his/her prospective spouse will be permitted to have two visitors each
present at the ceremony. The visits must be selected from the inmate’s approved
visiting list.

K. The wedding ban(s) must be present for inspection and approval upon arrival at the
facility. The band(s) will consist of a simple metal band without a stone of any kind.

L. The bride will be permitted to carry a simple two flower array during the ceremony.

M. The inmate will ear state issued clothing for the ceremony.

N. Upon completion of the marriage ceremony, the couple shall be allowed a brief kiss. A
visit shall be permitted in accordance with DC-ADM 812.

O. Only inmate photographers assigned to the Visiting Room may take a photograph, in
accordance with facility procedure regarding inmate photographs. The cost for the
photograph will be borne by the inmate/spouse.

P. An inmate in a Community Corrections Center (CCC) is responsible for all
arrangements in Section D. and E. above.

Q. A marriage request by a Capital Case inmate will be referred to the Facility
Manager/designee and Regional Deputy Secretary for review.

VII. SUSPENSION DURING AN EMERGENCY

In an emergency or extended disruption of normal facility operation, the
Secretary/designee may suspend any provision or section of this policy, for a specific
period.

VIII. RIGHTS UNDER THIS POLICY

This policy does not create rights in any person nor should it be interpreted or applied in
such a manner as to abridge the rights of any individual. This policy should be interpreted
to have sufficient flexibility to be consistent with law and to permit the accomplishment of
the purpose(s) of the policies of the Department.

IX. RELEASE OF INFORMATION AND DISTRIBUTION OF POLICY

A. Release of Information

1. Policy

This policy document is public information and may be released upon request.

2. Procedure Manual (if applicable)

The procedures manual for this policy is not public information and shall not be
released in its entirety or in part, without the prior approval of the
Secretary/designee. This manual or parts thereof, may be released to any
Department employee on an as needed basis.

B. Distribution of Policy

1. General Distribution

The Department’s policy and procedures manuals (when applicable) shall be
distributed to the members of the Central Office Executive Staff, all Facility
Managers, and Community Corrections Regional Directors on a routine basis.
Distribution to other individuals and/or agencies is subject to the approval of the
Secretary/designee.

2. Distribution to Staff

It is the responsibility of those individuals receiving policies and procedures, as
indicated in the “General Distribution” section above, to ensure that each employee
expected or required to perform the necessary procedures/duties is issued a copy
of the policy and procedures.

X. SUPERSEDED POLICY AND CROSS REFERENCE

A. Superseded Policy

1. Department Policy

DC-ADM 821, Inmate Marriages issued March 12, 2001 by Secretary Jeffrey A.
Beard, Ph.D.

DC-ADM 821-1, Inmate Marriages issued January 14, 2004 by Secretary Jeffrey A.
Beard, Ph.D.

2. Facility Policy and Procedures

This document supersedes all facility policy and procedures on this subject.

B. Cross References

1. Administrative Manuals

a. DC-ADM 812, Inmate Visiting Privileges

b. 1.1.10, Videoconferences

2. Accreditation Standards

a. Administration of Correctional Agencies: None

b. Adult Correctional Institutions: None

c. Adult Community Residential Services: None

d. Adult Correctional Boot Camp Programs: None

e. Correctional Training Academies: None
Old 02-09-2010, 03:16 PM
*oNe dAy aT a TiMe*
Donation Award 

Default Marriage in FCI Schuylkill??

Does anyone know how to get married in FCI Schuylkill?? My fiance talked to his counselor who told him that I had to do everything from the outside and he could research it in the law library. So, I called to figure out what I needed to do and spoke to some guy that the front desk transferred me to. He told me that in Pennsylvania inmates cannot get married due to the fact that we both have to be present for a license. I would have believed him but I know people that got married at USP Allenwood last year, and my aunt works at a state prison in Pennsylvania and is always talking about the people who are getting married. I don't get it, why are they not willing to give the information I need? Regardless, I know his information was wrong, and it is possible in Pennsylvania. It has nothing to do with Pennsylvania state laws because I know of people getting married in state and other federal prisons in Pennsylvania. Has anyone else run into this?? Does anyone know what I need to do next??
Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:10 PM

I officiate weddings at FCI Fairton in NJ. The local Registrar comes right to the prison to take the marriage license application from both the inmate and the bride together.

At South Woods State Prison in NJ, they transport the inmate to the Registrar's office to make his application for the marriage license. The inmate must have $425.00 deposited into his account to pay for the two guards who will transport him.

At the state prisons in PA, they allow a video conference between the inmate and the marriage license clerk for the application if the clerk's office has video conferencing capabilities.

You should have your fiance investigate all of the above possibilities with his counselor.
The Following User Says Thank You to RevDebbie For This Useful Post:
bls5049 (02-09-2010)
Old 02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
*oNe dAy aT a TiMe*
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDebbie View Post
I officiate weddings at FCI Fairton in NJ. The local Registrar comes right to the prison to take the marriage license application from both the inmate and the bride together.

At South Woods State Prison in NJ, they transport the inmate to the Registrar's office to make his application for the marriage license. The inmate must have $425.00 deposited into his account to pay for the two guards who will transport him.

At the state prisons in PA, they allow a video conference between the inmate and the marriage license clerk for the application if the clerk's office has video conferencing capabilities.

You should have your fiance investigate all of the above possibilities with his counselor.

thanks, ill have him check..although the way he talked the counselor didnt seem like she was willing to put any effort into helping him.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Oh, and you might find this document helpful too!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FBOP Inmate Marriages.pdf (73.2 KB, 79 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevDebbie For This Useful Post:
Mixxedbarbie (05-13-2011), TimedOut (05-28-2010)
Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
*oNe dAy aT a TiMe*
Donation Award 

Thanks, ill print that out and send to him too, the more information the better. I just feel like they are being lazy and don't want to help.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 PM

My wonderful fiance is in USP Allenwood in PA... Has anyone been married there and know what the process is? He has 5.5 years left (IF he is good) and 6.5 years left if he isn't (he damn well better be good!!)
Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM

there is a wealth of info on marraige in this site. you just need to dig for it. im in va but it all works about the same, he needs to request a packet from the prison fill out the paper work and get an aproval for a date, then you must go to a marraaige lisence branch and get a licence this is harder because most require both to be present. ,then you must get him to sign it and notorized take it back to the branch and get the lisence then get someone willing to preform the marraige at the prison and set a date/.

YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE

Hebrews 13:3 - Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 AM

Apparently there is a memo on the chapel at USP Allenwood stating that they no longer allow marriages due to the fact that no one is willing to come to the prison. I am not sure if they are referring to preforming the marriage or providing the licence. Can this be fought?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 PM

I have an inmate penpal in FCI Allenwood named REGAN (handsome black man), I would like to have info about him. He wants to meet me, but before I'll visit I wanna know if he's married or in relationship. He tells no, but just wondering...Thank you.

Last edited by his babe forever; 05-05-2010 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: mistakes
Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 AM

Default Marraige at Houtzdale

Well actually I'm not married yet but I want to. He has thirty to sixty years I was thinking that I still have plenty of time to marry him but I'm just not sure any advice will be helpful
Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Default how did u go about all this i need help

im wanting to get married to an inmate at houtzdale and i dont even know where to start. do you have to file any paper work? i hope you can help me plz!!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM
He's finally Home!!!!!!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 5,480 Times in 3,267 Posts

What state is Houtzdale in?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaperrine View Post
im wanting to get married to an inmate at houtzdale and i dont even know where to start. do you have to file any paper work? i hope you can help me plz!!!!

i dont know about houtzdale, but i know about sci dallas if u want that info
Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 AM

My fiance is currently incarcerated at SCI Dallas. I filed a petition for the marriage licence and have a schedule date to apply (2/11/11)...does anyone know a Pastor or Clergy who is willing to perform the ceremony at the prison??
Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 AM

I hesitate to ask this, because it appears everyone here has loved ones in State or Federal, but my fiance` is currently in the Cambria County Jail, and I was wondering if anyone here knew of anyone who'd gotten married here? Or if anyone has any information about it I'd love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Post Trying to get married in rockveiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipkim View Post
My Boo and I want to get married at SCI Rockview, anyone with any information please let me know...Thanks all for your help
hey i was just wondering if you got married in SCI Rockview i am in need of some info if so please let me know how it was in congrats!!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 PM

i want to get married at FCI SCHUYKILL any info?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:59 PM

Default Marriage license help for SCI Greene

i dont know about houtzdale, but i know about sci dallas if u want that info

Hi, my fiance is in SCI Greene and I am in Washington state, but I'm willing to travel to whichever clerk's office needed to get the license. I know video conferencing is a possibility, but I don't know if either SCI Greene or which clerk's office will agree to it. I also noticed a thread where she said she "petitioned for her license" but didn't go into detail about what that entails. Any help you could give would be helpful. Basically I need to know if there are any clerk's that will give out a license without the inmate presence, and/or any clerks office that will allow the inmate to sign via video conferencing and/or any other possible means of getting the license. I do know Greene does not transport inmates to the clerks office.

Thanks,

Laura
Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Default PA marriage license help

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosado2003 View Post
My fiance is currently incarcerated at SCI Dallas. I filed a petition for the marriage licence and have a schedule date to apply (2/11/11)...does anyone know a Pastor or Clergy who is willing to perform the ceremony at the prison??
Hi,

I was wondering what you meant by "I filed a petition for the marriage licence"? I'm trying to find out what counties will allow the license to be either signed by the inmate at the facility by a notary and/or will allow them to have him sign it via video teleconferencing. I know SCI greene will not transport inmates to the clerk and the last time I checked, there were no clerks willing or able to come to the prison. Any info you can give would help.

Thanks,

Laura
The Following User Says Thank You to CC7649 For This Useful Post:
Nitaboo2 (12-03-2017)