Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 AM

Default getting married in va prison

i'm trying to get married to my fiance. he's in baskerville correctional center. i've already sent him all of my information. copies of my drivers liscense, military i.d., orders, divorce decree, birth certificate. but the chaplain hasn't been there to talk to me every time i call. this is beginning to get frustrating and i don't want it to be weeks or months before we can get married. how long did urs take and what facility did u get married at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbEgyrl View Post
i called and talked to the chaplin today about me and man getting married

he said Man would fill out 2 seperate forms and
then i would come in for 1 pre-marriage couseling session
he would then decide if he will marry us
if so then it would be no charge
if not he would refer us to (i think he said) a marriage commissioner
or something like that
they do have charges but it was on them as of how much it would be
i am not sure how long the process will take
but i do hope it is not long at all
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 6,456 Times in 3,301 Posts

Your bf should be able to talk to the chaplain. The paperwork should be filled out by your fiance as the warden has to approve the wedding etc. It may take some time for that process.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianLady80 View Post
this is beginning to get very frustrating to me. i'm in the military stationed in atlanta ga and my baby is in baskerville correctional center. were both from va though. anyways i've already sent him a copy of my drivers liscense, military i.d., birth certificate, divorce decree, social security card copy. the chaplain is never there. he talked to the warden and the warden said it's not up to him to approve it; it's up to the chaplain and counselor. so i'm trying to stay patient and i don't want it to be 2 months before we can get married since we've been together 10 years. it's just time. but the system is jacked up. i need some help finding this chaplain of his and talking to him. everytime i call the jail he's never there.

As far as I know, having been through the process....the chaplain and/or counselor start the process. The warden does have to approve it, although it needs to go through chaplain or counselor first..whichever does the paperwork. The inmate has to fill out the paperwork, and you can find kind of what it is in the VA DOC website. Specific answers to the marriage process would probably be best asked in the VA forum, as there are many there that from the history of this thread do not come here.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM

My fiance just went in a month ago and he is looking at minimum 2 years and maximum of 20 years. We really wants to get married but I personally have opted to wait to marry until he is released. I don't want to get married and then visit him with a piece of glass in between. It is heartbreaking. He doesn't like the idea that I will wait. He seems to think that I will find someone new if I don't marry him. I reassured him that I am not looking and doing the best I can right now with our kids and finding work. That is my only concern now. Should I go ahead and marry him while he is in there or am I right about waiting?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Account Closed

If you get married in the DOC there more than likely will not be a piece of glass. It is only that way while they are in jail, or maybe the higher security prisons.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Default justice of the peace or clergyman

i'm having a hard time finding a justice of the peace or clergy man to marry us. do all prisons have a justice of the peace or clergy man. the one my baby is at the chaplain doesn't do marriages. he's in baskerville correctional center. do you have a listing of justice of the peace or clergy men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsravven View Post
As of June last year this was still true for James River Correctional center the Same as it was with Augusta before with a few exceptions:

1. He had to fill out paper work and send me paper work to fill out
2. I had to send in the documents that they asked me for plus the paper work
3. He had to wait for the paperwork and wedding date to be approved(2 weeks)
4. I then had to go to Richmond City Court to fill out our application for alicense. my application For a license was done there. I was given a form to send to my husband.
5. My husband had to sign the form in front of a notary and send it back(this took a week)
6. I then had to take the signed form back down to the circuit court building where I got the actual marriage license.

note: I was NOT given an option to view his inmate record and his medical records. We were also given the option to have pre-marital counseling. Apparently this is due to the Change in a Privacy Act.(This is fine with me since I have known him prior to incarceration and know it all, I know his charges juvie ones included..lol)

7. We then had to decide if we wanted to bring a clergyman or use the prisons justice of the peace. We brought a outside JP and his fee was $50.00. Oh, and the license was $30.00.
8. I had to bring both rings with me when I came to get married. He could only have a plain band costing under 50.00. I could bring a single use unopened camera, and 6 guest who had been preapproved on our paperwork(these were done at the same time they approved the date)
9.We got married(I even wore a dress!!). 6 people were allowed. Had our visit second, one hour(the guard kicked ass and let us have almost 2!)
10. Our justice of the peace sent in the signed license.

The whole process start to finish: 2 months if there are not any complications. Cost w/o rings 80-100 plus gas money
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Account Closed

NO, not all do them. The one mine is at won't do them either, it is up to the chaplain. In that case you have to look for someone that will go to the prison and do it. Unfortunately, that is not always that easy. It is an extra expense and hard to find someone that will do it.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM

Post Marriage ?

My fiance is currently locked up in Central Virginia Regional Jail, and we want to get married. Does anyone know the process that I need to go through for this to happen? And also is it possible?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM

My boyfriend is in rappahannock regional and we want to get married ASAP, before he possibly gets transferred to Florida. how do I get the marriage license, what forms do I need, any clergy people y'all would recommend? Anybody married there with any advice would be MUCH appreciated since we are quickly running out of time.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Account Closed

when it comes to jails you would first have to make sure if they allow weddings. In the hampton roads jails most do not allow marriages as they are very limited in visitation and it is over video. Many cities in VA require two people in order to get the license so you are going to have to search for a county that allows just one person to pick one up. As far as clergy, well that is a whole other issue. Many do not like to go into jail and prisons so that is a search in of itself.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jely View Post
My fiance just went in a month ago and he is looking at minimum 2 years and maximum of 20 years. We really wants to get married but I personally have opted to wait to marry until he is released. I don't want to get married and then visit him with a piece of glass in between. It is heartbreaking. He doesn't like the idea that I will wait. He seems to think that I will find someone new if I don't marry him. I reassured him that I am not looking and doing the best I can right now with our kids and finding work. That is my only concern now. Should I go ahead and marry him while he is in there or am I right about waiting?
That's exactly how I feel. My fiance is looking at a minimum of 4 years and a max of 15. I want to marry him but I would much rather wait. He also feels that I would find someone else if I don't marry him now, though I don't really get the logic, even if we are married there's still a chance I could find someone else... but why would I want to? My problem is that I just can't see waiting for him for up to 20 years, we would be completely different people! We are so young now.

But I decided to do it for him because, I DO want to be married to him and if it helps put his mind at ease and gives him a reason to fight through this journey, then why not. Also, I think there are some added benefits, though I don't know what all they are, it just seems the wife is going to have much more influence than a girlfriend when it comes to getting information on your man and where he goes after he's released.

We have 4 days left on our marriage license and we're running out of time to get it worked out, everyone at the local jail is giving us the run around. I'm nervous I'll have to start the process all over. I just want to get it over with!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by revans View Post
That's exactly how I feel. My fiance is looking at a minimum of 4 years and a max of 15. I want to marry him but I would much rather wait. He also feels that I would find someone else if I don't marry him now, though I don't really get the logic, even if we are married there's still a chance I could find someone else... but why would I want to? My problem is that I just can't see waiting for him for up to 20 years, we would be completely different people! We are so young now.

But I decided to do it for him because, I DO want to be married to him and if it helps put his mind at ease and gives him a reason to fight through this journey, then why not. Also, I think there are some added benefits, though I don't know what all they are, it just seems the wife is going to have much more influence than a girlfriend when it comes to getting information on your man and where he goes after he's released.

We have 4 days left on our marriage license and we're running out of time to get it worked out, everyone at the local jail is giving us the run around. I'm nervous I'll have to start the process all over. I just want to get it over with!

As a girlfriend of an inmate, I can tell you it isn't all that difficult to get information on the inmate. They won't let anyone have too much information in the DOC, whether it be wife or whatever. All he has to do is put you down as emergency contact. As far as getting married in the jail, many jails just will not allow it and that may be your run around. It is easier in the DOC but you have to apply, as long as you are not a victim and can visit(do not have a record) than you more than likely will be approved. As far as getting released, they do not pay attention anymore to inmates getting married in the system than just being a girlfriend. They much rather have two get married before incarceration, and if not than have been established living together before. That is much more likely to get him home to you than marrying while he is in.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms. swanson View Post
Does anybody know the rules about marriage in Red Onion State Prison ??? I would appreciate any information I can get............Thanks...
You can just call them and they will tell you. 276-796-7510. The business office or treatment department will have someone, be it a counselor or someone in administration who can help you.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
As of right now we have no wedding info for this state, but if you have been married in a Virginia prison and would like to share with everyone then please post. Here is a list of questions and if you can add anything else then please do so.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit
So I am in the process of getting married at USP Lee in Jonesville, VA
We did have counseling, the process started in July since then I was sent an intent to marry form that I had to complete and send back with my divorce decree from my previous marriage. There will be someone at the prison that would marry us. I would have to pay them like $25.00 I will check on the camera thing. There are only three guests who must already be on his visiting list. The marriage license I was told to pick it up from the court building the day of the wedding it would not cost more than $50.00. I have to follow the dress code of the facility as and clear the metal detectors. I am allowed to bring the rings with me. The rings must be no more than $100.00 in value with no stones. The prison will only weddings when they have at least five couples to marry so we do not have a date yet. I also know that they only do weddings on Fridays.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 PM
4eva his

My fiancé and I are looking to get married before the year is out. He's currently at Greensville correctional center. he sent in a request 4 the marriage package today. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long the process takes, can I bring in the rings, what to wear, etc. I'm looking for as much or any info anyone has...thanks in advance!! ;-)
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Account Closed

I know the ring has to be basic no stones or anything and I think it has to be valued under a certain amount but not sure. As for the dress, it has to pass visitation regulations. As long as it does, you are okay. I don't think it takes very long, the worst part from my understanding is getting the marriage certificate because many counties/cities require both parties to be present and the preacher if the prison does not provide one as many will not go to a prison. Congrats.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM

Default USP Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafisa View Post
So I am in the process of getting married at USP Lee in Jonesville, VA
We did have counseling, the process started in July since then I was sent an intent to marry form that I had to complete and send back with my divorce decree from my previous marriage. There will be someone at the prison that would marry us. I would have to pay them like $25.00 I will check on the camera thing. There are only three guests who must already be on his visiting list. The marriage license I was told to pick it up from the court building the day of the wedding it would not cost more than $50.00. I have to follow the dress code of the facility as and clear the metal detectors. I am allowed to bring the rings with me. The rings must be no more than $100.00 in value with no stones. The prison will only weddings when they have at least five couples to marry so we do not have a date yet. I also know that they only do weddings on Fridays.
Hi Nafisa,

Did you ever get married? I'm going through the same process. Our paperwork has been submitted to the Warden and we are currently waiting on a reply. I'm so excited.

LadyD
Old 01-02-2015, 02:12 AM

Question Marrying my fiancé

So I'm still new to this fairly new and we want to get married but i don't know what to do where to start and all of that he is at Hampton Road Regional Jain in Portsmouth any help and besides the witness could our daughter be there ?? Or does it depend on the Facility??
John 3:16 for God so loved the world that he gave he only begotten son and whose so ever believed in him with have everlasting life
Old 11-07-2015, 05:49 AM

Default Getting married in Red Onion State Prison & need wedding officiant

We need to find a wedding officiant near red onion state prison anyone know any HELP
Old 12-22-2015, 08:31 PM

Default I'm in the same boat

Did you find anyone yet? I'm also looking to get married in Red Onion within 8 months and trying to find someone is super hard.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:39 PM

I did find someone we are getting married april 13th do you want his info
Old 12-22-2015, 08:41 PM

That would be amazing! Thank you!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:58 PM

We are shooting for August next year because it's going to take me a little bit to save up in order to pay for everything. I know it's going to be expensive. I know it's 75 to get married there and 30 I think for the license. What scares me is how much the marriage person will be.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:00 PM

He told me about 200.00
Old 12-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Is your man in the pod that works or just general population