Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions Discussions relating to inmates on Death Row / facing capital punishment in the United States and abroad that don't fit into any of the other forums

Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 AM
I♥my hubby!

Why are only two of them being released??? They are all 3 innocent!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,295 Times in 1,887 Posts

Recent reports are that all three will be released. We'll have to wait a couple of hours.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Always have a dream!!

I'm watching the live coverage. Here's the link
http://www.kait8.com/story/15059152/...video-coverage
Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Always have a dream!!

They are freed, I'm happy for the men and their families. But boy am I angry about the fact that they had to plead guilty.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator on Leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,055 Posts

They're FREE!!!!!

:grou phug:
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

The three men will be allowed to maintain their innocence while acknowledging that prosecutors have the evidence to convict them, according to the Associated Press.
It is a legal maneuver that would allow the men to leave prison for the first time in more than a dozen years. They have always maintained their innocence.

Full story
The Following User Says Thank You to mammastalkin For This Useful Post:
PrincessN (08-22-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Damien's statement:
To all my friends and family, my attorneys and advocates, and to those of you from every corner of this earth who have stood beside us these long years, please know that I will forever be indebted to all of you for helping me to become a free man. Each and every day I was the beneficiary of acts of kindness and humanity from people of all walks of life, of all ages, nationalities, religions and political persuasions. The enormity of the support Lorri and I received throughout this struggle is humbling.

The full statement is here.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Are they still going through with the DNA testing that was to happen this fall (the one they were saving their money up for) so they can finally prove their innocent?

I wonder what they think of the world now after all those years?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM

I read that they are still going to do their DNA hearings. They want to clear their names.
The Following User Says Thank You to RainyCola For This Useful Post:
PrincessN (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 PM

I will watch for those results
Old 08-24-2011, 04:38 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

In a recent op-ed in the L.A. Times, Professor Jennifer L. Mnookin (pictured) of the UCLA Law School provided an analysis of how preconceptions and biases toward the unconventional suspects known as the West Memphis Three may have led to their wrongful convictions and a death sentence in Arkansas in 1994. Because of the grisly nature of the murders, investigators decided early on that it was probably related to satanic cult rituals. This theory pointed them to Damien Echols, who was a self-described Wiccan with an unusual taste in clothes and music. Mnookin explained that "cognitive biases" - the tendency of humans to see what they expect to see - played a role in these convictions. Mnookin wrote, "Investigators and prosecutors, even when they are trying their best to do their jobs, may seek out or take special notice of evidence that confirms their prior beliefs rather than evidence that challenges it. And they are likely to interpret ambiguous evidence in ways that accord with their preconceptions." For example, the police interviewed Echols's friend, Jessie Misskelley, who had an IQ of 72, and accepted his account of the crime even though it contradicted the evidence. Mnookin wrote, "The prosecutor's case was based largely on character assassination, innuendo and the not-very-credible testimony of the likes of a jailhouse snitch and a witness with a mail-order doctorate. Not a shred of physical evidence linked any of the young men to the crime scene (and post-conviction DNA testing has also failed to find any biological evidence that they were there)." Mnookin noted that at least three of the most common causes of wrongful conviction were present in the West Memphis Three case: dubious forensic evidence, false confessions and evidence from an unreliable jailhouse informants. She attributed the recent release of the defendants partly to the work of documentary filmmakers who investigated the case.

Read more.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 PM

I heard on CNN that it was a 'historic' decision to have someone walk out from death row. I'm surprised we haven't seen them or their attorneys on the talk show circuit yet. Maybe they will do that later.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,901 Times in 7,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessN View Post
I heard on CNN that it was a 'historic' decision to have someone walk out from death row. I'm surprised we haven't seen them or their attorneys on the talk show circuit yet. Maybe they will do that later.
you won't see them on the talk show circuit. they can't make money off their crime pursuant to the Son of Sam law and the Alford plea.

I'd assume that they've got a lot to get used to from here on out. 1993 - no real internet, they didn't learn keyboarding skills in school. Cell phones were $3.00 a minute and were the size of half a brief case. They weren't standing on their own as adults. The only ID they have is their prison ID. Imagine relearning how to drive with electronic door locks on everything, or an electronic ignition, or a GPS.

1993, grunge was in. Now, they get low rise skinny jeans that look like something their sisters called "leggings" in the '80's. No iPods in 1993. No iTunes. Pay-per-view on a high def screen? Think of what Avatar is going to look like to those three.

Think about getting used to regular bed, opening and closing doors whenever you want, being able to flush more than two or three times in a few minutes. Think food. Think the ability to eat fresh fruit whenever you want, or a donut.

Think all of the changes in just plain water since they went in. They went in when there was Garotade, and Periere. One was for athletes, the other was for rich people. Now, everybody is drinking something different. Heck, think coffee - wonder what their first mocha-chino-latte is going to feel like to them.

And, they have to deal with all of that, plus family, plus family that's passed, all before they start to really think about what they want to do with the rest of their lives, and what they're qualified to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
awhelan94 (01-07-2018)
Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 PM

I have read and followed this story for awhile and from what I have learned I believed that these boys (now men) were innocent of this tragic and horrific crime. It is beyond my understanding that so many years of their life are gone and no matter what can not be given back. I can't believe they were made to admit guilt in order to be free.
I honestly think if the court still really believed in their guilt then no way on earth would they be letting them go. I think they are trying to save face by placing the blame on someone.

More than anything it hurts my heart to know that whoever took the lives of those sweet, innocent, precious young boys has been out there all this time. It is a huge injustice to their memory that the real killer is not being held accountable for mudering them.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
-Dr Suess
Old 08-30-2011, 10:44 PM

I watched Paradise Lost 2 on TV last night and that proves that they didn't do it. It was probably that one father who likes to shoot his gun and had the knife.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 PM

They will be on 48 hrs mystery on Sat 9/10. The only reason a plea was reached is at the hearing set for Dec. these men would have gotten new trials and the state was not 100% positive of another conviction so they agreed to the plea to not be sued as the WM3 would have been aquitted!!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:48 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Here is a link to the 48 hours:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...BstoryMediaBox
Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 PM

They stated their innocence and were sentenced to life in prison and death row. The state they are guilty and are released? (one of the WM3 said this in the 48 hrs on 9/19). Also, they sure do need some sort of compensation for their nightmare. It is hard to resume a life when you were never even allowed to begin one...glad they are free BUT do not think justice has been served. Someone killed 3 innocent boys and ruined 3 others lives and could quite possibly be walking free.
For all 6 boys whose lives ended or drastically changed forever on May 5, 1993...justice must be sought!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Director Peter Jackson said Friday that he was working with a high-profile former American death row inmate in hopes of getting the man a complete pardon.

Read the article here.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Berlinger's final film in the series, Paradise Lost: Purgatory, premieres this month on HBO, tracing the stunning developments that led to the release of the West Memphis Three. Purgatory has been shortlisted for this year's Oscar for Best Documentary. The film is more than the best movie of the year: it is also the most important, a legal thriller with enthralling characters and astonishing twists that explores a real-life.

Read more.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastalkin
Berlinger's final film in the series, Paradise Lost: Purgatory, premieres this month on HBO, tracing the stunning developments that led to the release of the West Memphis Three. Purgatory has been shortlisted for this year's Oscar for Best Documentary. The film is more than the best movie of the year: it is also the most important, a legal thriller with enthralling characters and astonishing twists that explores a real-life.

Read more.
Thanks for the post.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluedevil 2 For This Useful Post:
mammastalkin (01-25-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 05:49 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

I actually got to watch this last night. I knew about all the new evidence as I've followed the case. But it is shocking to watch it all layed out there like that. You have to wonder why in the world those convictions were allowed to stand as long as they did. Just incredible!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastalkin
You have to wonder why in the world those convictions were allowed to stand as long as they did. Just incredible!
It's quite disturbing, not to mention disgusting, that the state of Arkansas would have perfectly fine with not only locking two innocent guys in prison for the rest of their lives but killing another all because no one was willing to admit they were wrong. What makes me the most angry is that they STILL don't have to admit that they were wrong. I am ecstatic that they are finally free, but at the same time I am livid that West Memphis and the entire state of Arkansas are getting away with what they did.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 PM

And while I'm in rant mode, I would also like to say that it is GREAT Damien Echols is off of death row. Anytime one person leaves that hell it is a victory. However, just think about the many other instances of wrongful convictions that have many men and women on death row throughout the country. It sometimes irritates me that some get more attention than others, but thank God at least ONE got attention. Maybe people will stop and think about things before calling out for an execution.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyCola

It's quite disturbing, not to mention disgusting, that the state of Arkansas would have perfectly fine with not only locking two innocent guys in prison for the rest of their lives but killing another all because no one was willing to admit they were wrong. What makes me the most angry is that they STILL don't have to admit that they were wrong. I am ecstatic that they are finally free, but at the same time I am livid that West Memphis and the entire state of Arkansas are getting away with what they did.
I live in Arkansas. My first year in college we had to do a paper covering the wm3. It is a shame how they did these guys. The 2nd worst thing the state did was made them sign a Alford plea. I think you either guilty or not. It should be against the law to make people suffer and get nothing in return. Regardless those guys are free. They will never be the same. I have a lot of respect for the people who put in hard work into the wm3 case. I wish they could help more people that don't have the money to fight. I can't see how a person can be innocent until proven guilty. Yet our states convict people by the minute with no evidence whatsoever.