Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:46 PM

Default Ohio State Penitentiary; Youngstown, Ohio; Visitation question

I recently had my first visit at Ohio State Penitentiary, and was amazed at how nice it was to visit there... So far anyways...

You will first go through two gates outside before you reach the front door, and right as you walk in the front door there is a man behind a desk who signs you in... you walk through a metal detector and if you clear... you go directly into another room over to the right, and the woman signs you in and gives you pass... she keeps possession of your drivers license and then proceeds to tell you to go to the fourth floor, via elevator... when you get there... the elevator doors open and you walk directly into the visiting area... There is a big wide open space with a single desk in the middle of the room where a CO sits, and he takes you to the visiting room (glass visits, only)... The inmate is already sitting there waiting for you when you get off the elevator. Which is nice compared to other places where you have to sit and wait for an hour sometimes... But there are several glass visiting rooms along the outside of the big wide open room... They take you and place you in this little room and then they lock the door behind you... with a key... you have no door handle in the inside where you are... it is a steel door with a glass window... even the walls of the visiting room your sitting in are glass half way up... You can hear your loved oned very well... through the glass via the vents on the sides. Important though... If your loved one has to go to the restroom during the visit, you must cancel your visit because they will not let him go and then bring him back... so make sure you inform your loved one to do his "business" before the visit... You on the hand can go to the restroom upstairs, all you have to do is knock on the door and they CO will come unlock it and let you out... as far as i know... I saw others coming and going so it must be that way...

Next is... You can not bring anything in with you besides your keys and your drivers license... there are no vending machines inside. No money, no nothing besides what i stated above...

And don't wear anything that goes above the knee... tight or offensive in anyway... and you should be fine to pass through the front.

My visit was very nice and i didn't have any problems...

If you have any other questions i can help you with let me know... I'll be glad to help you with anything i can.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Banned

Where is the Ohio State Pen? Will you ever be able to get contact visits?
Old 07-09-2004, 02:50 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Is this Lucasville?
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 07-09-2004, 08:31 PM

No this is not Lucasville, My man was just transferred from Lucasville a few weeks ago to this new prison... Ohio State Penitentiary... And it is located in Youngstown Ohio...

I think that i will be able to get Contact Visits eventually... Word has it that they are going to be allowing contact visits within the next few months ... but who knows...??? But that would be only for the lighter level inmates on good behavior probably...

My man is on the 4B level... which is highest level at Lucasville, and he was so tired of being treated badly at Lucasville, that he asked for a transfer to O.S.P... And he is so much more happier here so far... They are allowed a TV... Radio... More items in their cell, he says the cells are bigger... cleaner... A.C. also... which he was so tired of at Lucasville, they dont have A.C in the hole or whatever... So he was roasted everyday in the hot environment... He is happy so far... but that could change quickly...
Old 07-09-2004, 08:55 PM

Anyone that has loved ones in OSP...let me know so we can get to know each other, because i'm sure we could use the support when things start going wrong...
Old 07-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Banned

Thanks for clarifying! I appreciate it!