Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2019, 06:49 PM

Default Court tomorrow - need some positive vibes!

Hey all! Iíve been pretty quiet lately but my guy has court tomorrow and weíre hoping they offer him a deal instead of taking it to trial (idk how eager PA is when it comes to settling cases). I can tell heís nervous about it and he told me he was trying to prepare me but I think he was trying to prepare himself. His motto is ďhope for the best but expect the worstĒ which is what Iíve been doing. I wonít know anything until tomorrow night when he can call but if you guys could just send some positive vibes mine and his way Iíd appreciate it greatly!!

Hope all is well with everyone else !!

Thank you!!
The Following User Says Thank You to torieoo For This Useful Post:
Ne Plachí (01-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM

I don't know much about your case or what the charges, or how far in the process you guys are in. Generally plea agreements are settled outside the courtroom between attorney's. If a deal is offered it probably won't be tomorrow and even if a trial date is set don't expect that to stand, let alone stand for that time. His attorney should know more about what is going on.

"Hoping for the best, expecting the worse" is a good motto but often hard to maintain.

Hope all goes well for you but don't get discouraged if nothing really happens tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
I don't know much about your case or what the charges, or how far in the process you guys are in. Generally plea agreements are settled outside the courtroom between attorney's. If a deal is offered it probably won't be tomorrow and even if a trial date is set don't expect that to stand, let alone stand for that time. His attorney should know more about what is going on.

"Hoping for the best, expecting the worse" is a good motto but often hard to maintain.

Hope all goes well for you but don't get discouraged if nothing really happens tomorrow.

He has the pre trial conference tomorrow. Heís being charged with PWID. He has a separate case for a first offense DUI that he went to court for formal arraignment on Monday and they asked him what was going on with his PWID charge saying hopefully they could reach a deal Wednesday for it, so Iím not sure what is gonna happen. I donít have much knowledge on the court system Iím just going off of the info heís told me but I donít think he knows either
Old 01-29-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torieoo View Post
He has the pre trial conference tomorrow. Heís being charged with PWID. He has a separate case for a first offense DUI that he went to court for formal arraignment on Monday and they asked him what was going on with his PWID charge saying hopefully they could reach a deal Wednesday for it, so Iím not sure what is gonna happen. I donít have much knowledge on the court system Iím just going off of the info heís told me but I donít think he knows either
How long has it been since he was charged? Again I really believe that his attorney should have been talking with the DA in this case and if a deal was going to be offered it likely would have been or at least likely won't be officially offered in court. Now, that doesn't mean that the attorney and the DA won't talk before or after court and something be offered then. That also doesn't mean that his attorney will tell him tomorrow that an offer was made.

Any plea deal offered not only needs to be examined by his attorney but also very much discussed with him, he with his loved ones and he given time to decide what he wants to do. They will not offer him a plea tomorrow and expect him to sign or answer to that tomorrow. If that were to happen it would often be considered to be coercion or a form of blackmail of sorts.

I'm not trying to scare you in any way. I just want you to be prepared if nothing really happens tomorrow that moves things forward.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
How long has it been since he was charged? Again I really believe that his attorney should have been talking with the DA in this case and if a deal was going to be offered it likely would have been or at least likely won't be officially offered in court. Now, that doesn't mean that the attorney and the DA won't talk before or after court and something be offered then. That also doesn't mean that his attorney will tell him tomorrow that an offer was made.

Any plea deal offered not only needs to be examined by his attorney but also very much discussed with him, he with his loved ones and he given time to decide what he wants to do. They will not offer him a plea tomorrow and expect him to sign or answer to that tomorrow. If that were to happen it would often be considered to be coercion or a form of blackmail of sorts.

I'm not trying to scare you in any way. I just want you to be prepared if nothing really happens tomorrow that moves things forward.

He was originally charged with this in Jan of 2018 , then he missed a court date and was rearrested in October 2018. He had formal arraignment in Nov 2018 and now this tomorrow. Originally when he told me his next court date was a pre trial conference he said nothing really happens but maybe because the judge said something to him Monday heís thinking they might offer him something ? Iím not sure haha but you havenít scared me at all! I like to know every possible outcome to prepare myself. It actually makes me feel better that you said they give him time to think about it or talk it over cause Iíve been freaking out a bit thinking ďomg I wonít know until after it happensĒ

Even if nothing happens tomorrow (or if it does) thank you for taking the time to give me some insight on what can/could happen I appreciate it! Like I said Iím lost when it comes to the court system
Old 01-29-2019, 08:44 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,634 Times in 16,401 Posts

Quote:
Plea deals are offered and accepted in the courthouse before client is called in front of the Judge all the time. Sentencing itself is usually scheduled for a future date at that time.

Sending you both an armload of positive energy!!! If its a pre-trial hearing, don't expect much to happen except to make / set the next court date though

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 01-29-2019 at 08:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
torieoo (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Plea deals are offered and accepted in the courthouse before client is called in front of the Judge all the time. Sentencing itself is usually scheduled for a future date at that time.

Sending you both an armload of positive energy!!! If its a pre-trial hearing, don't expect much to happen except to make set the next court date though

Thank you!!!
patchouli (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Sending you both an armload of positive energy!!! If its a pre-trial hearing, don't expect much to happen except to make set the next court date though
I agree that they are sometimes offered AND that if that occurs that they will set a future date but no attorney worth their salt should allow their client to sign an agreement that has not been thoroughly discussed and gone over. If this is done then the attorney has done their client a severe dis-service. The OP has indicated that the only talk of a "deal" has come from a judge in an unrelated case, not that the attorney has mentioned options.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:18 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,634 Times in 16,401 Posts

Quote:
I agree that they are sometimes offered AND that if that occurs that they will set a future date but no attorney worth their salt should allow their client to sign an agreement that has not been thoroughly discussed and gone over. If this is done then the attorney has done their client a severe dis-service. The OP has indicated that the only talk of a "deal" has come from a judge in an unrelated case, not that the attorney has mentioned options.

Offered, accepted, signed and before the hearing. There are rooms off the courtroom for attorney / client conferences where the offer is discussed...and often signed. The only date that is set is for the actual sentencing.

We're a tad off topic, but that give me another opportunity to send more positive energy

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
torieoo (01-30-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 PM

Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,680 Posts

Quote:
Offered, accepted, signed and before the hearing. There are rooms off the courtroom for attorney / client conferences where the offer is discussed...and often signed. The only date that is set is for the actual sentencing.

We're a tad off topic, but that give me another opportunity to send more positive energy
If someone has a public defender. They meet for 10 or 15 minutes before. There is no long discussion. Mine was give one week to make a decision. His deal came from.judge not the DA. DA wanted to give him more time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-29-2019), torieoo (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 06:22 AM

Sending you LOTS of positive vibes, good luck!
torieoo (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo21216 View Post
Sending you LOTS of positive vibes, good luck!

Thank you!!
lolo21216 (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
If someone has a public defender. They meet for 10 or 15 minutes before. There is no long discussion. Mine was give one week to make a decision. His deal came from.judge not the DA. DA wanted to give him more time.

My boyfriend has a public defender and I donít think heís met with them outside of the court room. But I could be wrong
Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
My boyfriend has a public defender and I donít think heís met with them outside of the court room. But I could be wrong
Sending you ton of positive prayer for the best outcome

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
torieoo (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Sending you ton of positive prayer for the best outcome

Thank you so much !!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
That is much my point. He was given a week but not forced on the spot to decide.

I guess too that the POs I have dealt with (at least a few)were better than average as they met several times and explained things without a lot of pressure
Old 01-30-2019, 07:17 PM

Just a little update! So nothing really happened, the judge said they would ďtry againĒ in two months because he has other cases against him but that she would be coming to see him before then? I didnít know judges did that. So I guess thatís a good thing??

He and I are both kind of bummed nothing really came of it but hopefully theyíll give him time served when he does eventually get sentenced.

Thanks for all your positive thoughts and responds !! I appreciate it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torieoo For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (01-31-2019), patchouli (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 PM

She may have meant shell see him at those other hearings before this one in 2 months. He may have the same judge for the cases.

There are a lot of stops and starts. It is hurry up and wait. We did it for 8 months. Some wait years.

Here is it time served for initial case, but on a parole hold the clock stops. Im not sure how PA does it.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
She may have meant shell see him at those other hearings before this one in 2 months. He may have the same judge for the cases.

There are a lot of stops and starts. It is hurry up and wait. We did it for 8 months. Some wait years.

Here is it time served for initial case, but on a parole hold the clock stops. Im not sure how PA does it.

Maybe thatís what she meant then cause I canít see a judge going to visit an inmate to talk. What is a parole hold???
Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Maybe that’s what she meant then cause I can’t see a judge going to visit an inmate to talk. What is a parole hold???
If they violate parole. When they are taken in, parole stops. They owe that time when out again.

Not sure how it is applied to a sentence

Old 01-30-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
If they violate parole. When they are taken in, parole stops. They owe that time when out again.

Not sure how it is applied to a sentence

Oh okay! I thought maybe thatís what it was