Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 05-24-2019, 03:25 PM

Exclamation Loved one caught a case while in prison - which lawyer can help?

Hello,

This may not qualify as a true emergency but it sure feels that way and I'm not sure where to post this. It is so important to me that I'm putting contact info on here which usually you don't do. If you have loved ones at the Gurney Unit in Paletstine, TX please help. My boyfriend caught a fake case by a female officer when he tried to report her inappropriate behavior and abuse of authority. Can you all please tell your loved ones to start reporting the abuses they are suffering and to write me at my PO Box. Whether its sexual harassment by an officer, fake cases, physical violence, threats made by officers, etc. As the loved ones can you also start reporting it to the TDCJ Ombudsman's office as well as write the Gov. Of TX. From info I am recieving from other inmates it appears that when inmates try to report abuses they are catching fake cases but if we all band together and everyone can get me details in writing of what happened then I'll use it to fight the Gurney Unit. I can't promise anything because it's the first time I've ever done this but my boyfriend had his parole that was 4mo away revoked, security level increased etc. The more people that report then the greater chance we all have of helping our loved ones. I hope that you are all able to help and get word to them. This could one day be you and your loved one in this situation and you asking this. I'm trying to fight for more than just my boyfriend becausethey don't deserve to be treated the way they are. They had a chance to pass 2 Bill's that could have helped in this situation or prevented it but they died from what I read. I can't fight this for inmates on the outside alone, we need help from the inside so please ask them to get me the details of what they are seeing and experiencing. If you have loved ones that were at the Gurney Unit and they had things happen to them they are also welcome to write. Officers need to come forward to otherwise it makes them accomplices to.

Address removed as per pto policy

Last edited by maytayah; 05-24-2019 at 03:56 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2019, 04:34 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,462 Times in 12,936 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Members can contact you by sending you a private message. The problem is that prison staff makes the rules, determines how they are enforced, and then decides the merits of all "appeals". Retaliation and retribution are rampant in every prison system, so prisoners or their loved ones rarely prevail. It's important to complain about wrongdoing, but my advice is to only do it in important situations.

Here's the link to the Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice's Inspector General, who is charged with investigating wrongdoing by prison employees.
https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/divisions/oig/index.html
Old 05-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Smile Response

Thank you so much! I understand what you are saying as a former officer but ANY abuse by prison or jail staff is important no matter how small it may seem. They are paid to do a job and that involves keeping the inmates safe including from officers. I can't tolerate just standing by and watching this happen esp. To someone I love. I have to fight this. I will do my best to hold them responsible for their actions. I'm going to use what's happening at Gurney to try and get those things changed if I can. I can understand why retaliation and retribution are rampant when officers break the law they are in a position to cover it up and yet they look down on the inmates they are charged with. I'm not going to lose hope no matter how hard this is. Thank you so much! Hopefully I can get something done!
The Following User Says Thank You to Edwards24.t For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-16-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 05:47 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I'm a former prisoner. You can certainly do whatever you want to do about encounters with COs. The problem I observed was that complaining, especially about minor issues, almost always got the inmate subjected to even more abuse.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:33 AM

I know and understand the position they are in and what I'm asking but nothing will ever change if they don't start voicing what's going on. Someone's ready and willing to fight now to help them but I can't do it without their statements. Maybe if I can just get them our lawyers into they can write directly to them in their sealed legal mail.
a.rare.love (06-16-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 04:43 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Legal mail is not reviewed by the prisons. One more bit of my advice is to have the prisoner, who will receive whatever trouble the prison sends their way, agree with what you are doing. If they are on board, then go for it.

Naturally the decision is up to you to make.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:12 PM

Oh man this sounds like a bad idea. You are going to cause more problems for the person inside. Let them handle their business in there. It’s a different world and outside meddling only makes things much worse inside. You may think you need to get yourself involved but I know that you will only make it worse in the long run
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skatinem13 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-16-2019), fbopnomore (06-03-2019), joybubby (06-23-2019), safran (06-03-2019), Zanna (06-13-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:30 AM

Well this is just depressing as hell and makes me mad. Yeah I know it could make things worse, I know from first hand experience but I also know that nothing is ever going to change or get better unless someone does something. The people that are incarcerated matter, I'm sick of seeing them get treated like dirt, like their lives mean nothing. There is not a single person that's lived a perfect life so to treat them that way or judge them for whatever they did is wrong. I really thought loved ones would want to try and change what they are going thru but I guess not and yet when things are challenged and changes are made it's for the benefit of many and they are more than willing to reap the rewards for someone else's hard work and sacrifice. My loved one fully understands that things could get worse for him by what I'm trying to do but he supports it. Yes I do need to get involved because they are doing nothing about it when he tries to handle it in there. At some point you either fight or just accept what's happened. I refuse to accept it because that's the easiest path to take and it's the path everyone else wants to take. They deserve better than people that are willing to just take the easy path.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Exclamation Loved one caught a case while in prison

My boyfriend caught a case while in prison and they took it to the max on a first time offense in there. What lawyers can help fight the case he caught?
joybubby (06-23-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:52 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,778 Times in 2,076 Posts

Edward, I merged your two threads as it appears this is about the same issue, and your older thread contains all the details that may help others suggest where to go with the lawyer search.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (06-16-2019)