Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Louisiana that do not fit into any other Louisiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,841 Times in 1,601 Posts
Default Angola Prison Rodeo

The Angola Rodeo, the longest running prison rodeo in the nation, got its start in 1965. The first arena was small, built by a handful of dedicated inmates and personnel. It wasn't much in those days, and the rodeo was staged just for the entertainment of prisoners and employees. But it was fun.

The 1967 rodeo was opened to the general public on a limited basis. There were no stands. Spectators had to sit on apple crates and the hoods of their cars to watch the performances.

The success of the 1967 and 1968 rodeos prompted construction of a 4,500-seat arena for the 1969 rodeo. A near disaster occurred when the bleachers collapsed during one of the shows. Spectators weren't alarmed; most didn't even get up. They sat on the collapsed structure and continued to watch. The 1971 rodeo was the wettest in history, but the show went on.

For full details and information, click on the following links:

History Continued: http://www.angolarodeo.com/history.htm

Main Website: http://www.angolarodeo.com/
Old 09-21-2003, 11:42 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,841 Times in 1,601 Posts

Hopefully in 2004, I am going to make it to one of these. I definitely would like to visit and watch the events, not to mention check out this prison for our upcoming prison profiles section.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:31 PM

Hmmm, I'm still not sure what to think. Rodeo in a prison?! Having fun in a prison?! Enjoying the show in a prison?! ...I mean, I certainly could couple the trip to the States for visiting my friend in Angola with the rodeo one day/year, but ...would it be okay?!
I'm wondering, what the purpose of a rodeo in such a place is? Angola, which means, certain officials there make very high profits each year (Plantation, inmate's blood plasma (not anymore), prison industry, museum & gift shop, inmates' music, rodeo, ...). Whom does a rodeo in Angola benefit?
I'm coming to the conclusion that such an event does fill up the wrong purse as usual and I believe, I don't want to support it.
But who knows, I might be wrong. The rodeo may actually benefit the inmates in any manner one day.

....Hopefully!!
Old 09-22-2003, 03:55 PM

All I know is I hate to visit in October because you can plan on very long lines to get in to visit. It takes forever in October. Anyway we used to visit at the park at Angola and sometimes we shared a table with a guy who was in the rodeo pretty big, he seemed to enjoy it every year, he had a huge belt buckle he won in it. But I also have heard some bad things about it, but I can't say really what I think because I've never went, it's a 3 hour drive and I only make that trip to visit my husband, and they won't let us sit together at the rodeo so I've never been to see it.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:53 PM

I have gone and my nephews love to go. The prisosners do benefit by sellling their merchandise. From what I understand the prisoners that are in the rodeo train all year long. Angola has been a self efficient prison and this helps them to do that, but it does help prisoners to sell things they make and interact with free people if they are trusted enough not to be put behind the gates. I enjoy going seeing and conversing with the prisoners more than the actuall rodeo, but it looks like they have fun and they aren't forced to do it so they must like it a little!
Old 10-09-2003, 02:39 AM

There are around 5000 prisoners in Angola. What do you guess, how many of them are selling their merchandise and benefit by doing so?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Been here forever

I think it is great that they are allowed to do something productive rather then speaning their time watching their back or fighting.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:39 AM

Just got done reading "God of the Rodeo" about Angola State Prison and their annual rodeo. It's a fascinating "no-holds-barred" critical look at the rodeo, the life-threatening injuries that the inmates have gotten from the bulls & horses, the sneaky deals made by Warden Cain. A journalist was granted one year free reign to speak to inmates about the prison. I would highly recommend this book.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:41 PM

Thank you, MiamiChica, for the recommendation.

"With a comfortable sympathy for warden Burt Cain and his program of faith and rehabilitation, Bergner spent his first five months freely interviewing guards and inmates. But in January, Cain suddenly demanded first editorial veto, then a cut of the royalties. Refusing both, Bergner lost entrance to the prison and while a lawsuit reinstated his access, the interruption (of interviews and narrative) opened Bergner's eyes to the warden's despotic paternalism (his new programs included shoe-shine detail and car-wash detail) and inspired greater confidence from inmates."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...06096010597299
Old 10-09-2003, 02:11 PM

I believe the guy my husband was friends with, the guy we used to share a table with on park visits, I believe he was one of the guys featured in that book, God of the Rodeo, but I'm not positive on that. Miamichicka do you remember anyone in that book that went by the name of Bucky? I'm pretty sure my husband told me he was featured in the book, but I could be wrong. He was one of the nicest people I've ever met, so was his wife.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Closed

ew, I would love to go just once.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:41 PM

i just saw a tv show about this yesterday -- i had no idea this exsisted. i think it is a neat idea- for the guys to have something to look forward to ... but wow it looks like it would hurt
Old 11-04-2003, 01:19 AM

Here comes the URL of the event:

http://www.angolarodeo.com/
Old 11-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Closed

Hey if anyone from the Dallas area would like to car pool one of these weekends, pm me and lets do it!
Old 11-04-2003, 08:42 AM

Yes Kathy, I do remember a fellow featured in the book with the nickname Bucky who I believe won the whole shebang one year.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Angola Rodeo!

Remember ... every Sunday in October

It really is a good time. Tickets are $10.
You can purchase them ahead of time, or i THINK you can buy them at the door.
Angola's website has all the info!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Angola Rodeo at LSP

Does anybody know this about the Angola Rodeo- How do they decided what prisoner's are part of the Rodeo? Do the prisnoer's do it vonterally
and do they practice at the prison? Also, the bulls (?) that they ride, I suppose that they do not live at the prison so do they come from a farm?
Old 12-12-2004, 05:24 PM

ill tell you what i know ...
the prisoners DO volunteer. they dont HAVE to participate.
only trustees can participate.
there are crafts and stuff that are sold. there is an area that is fenced in that holds inmates who are not trustees selling their crafts also.
also, ther is no practicing. the guys just get up and do it. its actually very dangerous!
and yes! the bulls that they ride do live on the farm...at angola!

its pretty wild, and worth the visit to see it.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:50 PM

Thanks for your Reply K. I got a copy of the Angora Rodeo DVD & watched it. It was realy good.The prisoners look like they realy have fun at the Rodeo.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:43 PM

your welcome, affie
it really is a good time. ALMOST lets the guys feel like its a day outside of the norm. if you ever get the chance to go , you should!